Thread: Be Honest.....

User Info Menu

Default Be Honest.....

Hypothetically speaking, if you had a band, would you let a women be your drummer? Really, be honest….. Of course the woman is an awesome percussionist and is exactly what you’re looking for. I often wondered what guys thought about female drummers and if they would want them in their band.

User Info Menu

i dont see a problem in that....

User Info Menu

Well, seeing as how I'm the drummer, there might be a slight conflict of interest there, lol....BUT...I jammed with a female bass player before, she was AWESOME, unfortunately, already committed to another band...it was just a jam session, a bunch of us got together.....but hell yeah, I would absolutely play with a female player.....it has nothing to do with gender, it's all about skill and capability.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

Absolutely, but then what am I supposed to do? lol

User Info Menu

no problem at all.

User Info Menu

Yeah I think she'd have to earn that spot, or there'd have to be two drummers or something. It's not a sexist thing either, I don't think I'd want to give up my spot to a guy either. Man or woman I'll jam with anybody all that matters is attitude.
    Serve The Song, Not The Ego - NEP

User Info Menu

Cool, I was just wondering what you all thought, because some day I'm going to be the greatest female drummer EVER!!!!! (OK, I guess I should have put this in the Grant A Wish Thread LOL).

User Info Menu

like BTG said, since i'd be the drummer there'd be a little hesitation on hiring you. but if i was like a pansy guitarist, of course i'd let a female play for us.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I should have said, "if you had a band, and you weren't the drummer, would you let a woman be your drummer".......

User Info Menu

well yea

User Info Menu

I have no problems whatsoever with female artists. I don't think there are enough as it is. The singer for my band is female and she's the greatest! We actually have a song that she plays my drums on, the guitarist sings, and I play hand percussion on. It's a lot of fun!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

I agree,,, gender does NOT matter... groove does !!,
    You Rock girl,,, press on !!!
    Peace,
    LeanCar

User Info Menu

Cool Be Honest....

Whoa...tell ya what...if I wasn't the drummer, I'd give it a try. And even if I was--I'd give it a try. Since you already know I play hand drums, I'd have no problem lett'n you play the set... of course, what's to stop us (in this situation) from doin' an Allman Brothers (two drummers)?

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

i cant actually play "hand" instruments with my hands. i use sticks on everything

User Info Menu

I think this was covered in a thread ages back. Anyhow, as long as you're more proficient than any other drummer I think you'd get the spot. Also, in a band, it's very important to be open and outspoken. So sometimes it won't just be your skill, but how much you are committed to the band as well.

As long as you've got the skill, I don't think anyone would see a difference in having a female drummer.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Hell yeah. I honestly have to say that the gender difference *would* cause extra thought (because the bulk of rock/pop/jazz musos are blokes ... except for singers for some reason) but it wouldn't automatically prejudice against you.

But there would be some thought about stuff like: How will this effect the way everyone gets along? Most of the time, bands have broken up or lost members, etc., through personality conflicts, squabbling ... and the occasional fist-fight. When a band I was in was looking for a new bass player, we auditioned about 6 very competent bass players. Any one of them could have done the job really well - we gave it to the guy we thought we could get along with personally and professionally the most. In this case, gender will matter as much as your individual personality.

Wow - that was really rambling. Sorry - I suppose what I mean is that, when it comes to gender and bands, it's not about musicianship, it's about relationships.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick
    Cool, I was just wondering what you all thought, because some day I'm going to be the greatest female drummer EVER!!!!! (OK, I guess I should have put this in the Grant A Wish Thread LOL).
    who wouldnt want to see a hot chick rockin out? however you would have alot of cathing up to do to catch sheila e. and be the greatest female drummer ever. she's only been playing from birth.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick
    (OK, I guess I should have put this in the Grant A Wish Thread LOL).
    LOL! We don't have a Grant A Wish thread. It's Corrupt A Wish. I remember the time 1DrumBum wanted a new camera really, really badly. So badly that he asked for one in "Corrupt A Wish". He's still trying to pry that thing from where the sun dont shine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris
    LOL! We don't have a Grant A Wish thread. It's Corrupt A Wish. I remember the time 1DrumBum wanted a new camera really, really badly. So badly that he asked for one in "Corrupt A Wish". He's still trying to pry that thing from where the sun dont shine.
    Ops, oh yea, LOL!!!!!!! Currupt a wish he he

User Info Menu

I don't have a problem with other chicks, I'd be just as prone to get defensive for my drummer spot in a band with a chick as well as a dude.

So.....don't try to steal my spot and no one will get hurt!
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash
    PDP Double bass Pedal, PDP throne.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Candlelight Chaos
    I don't have a problem with other chicks, I'd be just as prone to get defensive for my drummer spot in a band with a chick as well as a dude.

So.....don't try to steal my spot and no one will get hurt!
    LOL - I hear ya CC

User Info Menu

i love my drums i have somthing to do now its fun i love it