Thread: Top layer of bass drum skin is cracked!! :(

User Info Menu

Default Top layer of bass drum skin is cracked!! :(

I just noticed that my bass drum skin was cracked where the beater hits it but it has two layers and the one underneath is fine. Is this bad? Is it weaker and could it break more easily? I have an Aquarian Super Kick II if that matters.

Thanks
    Andyd

User Info Menu

Default Re: Top layer of bass drum skin is cracked!! :(

I would say that replacement is imminent, but might as well just play it till it goes. A separation of plies is "fairly" common probem on 2 ply heads and particularly on large diameter heads. Manufacturing glitch I think.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Are you using something like the Evans EQ patch? These can do a lot for prolonging the life of a bass drum head. At this point you still need to swap out that head that's breaking down, but you might want to use a patch on your new head.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

What kind of beaters are you using? I went through 4 bass drum heads in my first three years of drumming, and I don't hit hard at all. I finally realized that it was the cheap plastic beaters on my cheap pedal, which were hitting the head at a slight angle, and thus cutting into it. I went out and got some self-aligning Puresound felt beaters and not only did they make a huge difference for the better on the sound, but they hit the head dead on and there are no sharp edges.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    What kind of beaters are you using? I went through 4 bass drum heads in my first three years of drumming, and I don't hit hard at all. I finally realized that it was the cheap plastic beaters on my cheap pedal, which were hitting the head at a slight angle, and thus cutting into it. I went out and got some self-aligning Puresound felt beaters and not only did they make a huge difference for the better on the sound, but they hit the head dead on and there are no sharp edges.
    ive had my beater on my old pdp pedal go straight through my bass head after just a few months of playing. i dont even know why the make those plastic beaters. ever since i got my iron cobras i havent had any problems whatsoever

User Info Menu

You could use a patch. I use an Evans EQ patch on mine. It doesn't change the feel or sound at all, just adds to the durability.

Back to the op, yes a replacement will be needed soon.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar