Thread: DW 9000 Single Bass Drum Pedal Review and Pics

User Info Menu

Default DW 9000 Single Bass Drum Pedal Review and Pics

I've been using a DW 9000 pedal for a couple of months now and decided to post a review. The pedal is a substantial piece of drum equipment weighing in at approximately 6 lbs. The pedals are assembled in the USA with components manufactured in Taiwan and the USA.

Out of the box accessories included are:
    *Reversible felt / plastic mallet
    *Mallet memory lock
    *Mallet weight
    *Optional drive system nylon strap
    *Rubber pad for bass drum hoop
    *Optional toe stop
    *DW Decal
    *Two allen wrenches
    *Drum key / allen wrench tool (clips to base)
    *Nylon carry bag

The entire assembly is mounted to a sturdy aluminum base. The underside of the base has strips of Velcro, which does an excellent job of adhering the pedal to a low pile drum rug. There are two angled spurs to further anchor the pedal, however I find the spurs are not needed when using a drum rug as the Velcro is very sticky.

The pedal's operation is extremely quite, smooth and responsive. To me there is a nice weighted feel when my foot is pulled back far enough to see the dw logo and the 9 or part of the 9 on the footboard.

Continued in the next post...

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW 9000 Single Bass Drum Pedal Review and Pics

...continued from previous post.

If you typically allow yourself to to get used to default settings when you buy something, out of the box this pedal feels pretty good. If your constantly tweaking with settings trying to get that perfect feel, then this pedal might keep you busy as there are many available adjustments and many settings within each adjustment.

The bass drum hoop clamp can be adjusted so the angle of the pinch can accommodate different hoop thicknesses. The actual opening and closing of the clamp shoots out to the right side allowing for easy access, not having to mess around underneath the foot board to clamp or remove the pedal.

Out of the box the pedal is equipped with a double chain. There is a nylon strap for players who prefer that. I haven't tried the nylon strap. From what I have read the nylon drive system allows for a more relaxed, floating pedal feel.

One of the adjustments I found complex is the torque adjustment. From the factory the pedal is set to the eccentric torque position (referring to the manual to remember this stuff). Eccentric = increased speed and sensitivity. A concentric adjustment can be made as well. Concentric = powerful and consistent feel. The book suggests concentric for general purpose playing. There is a lot of in-between on these settings. I have mine set somewhere in the middle.

Other adjustments to be made are the footboard angle and stroke distance. The heel platform can also be elevated, however this requires the purchase of a DW Pedal Customizing Kit. The stock heel platform is 3/4" from the floor. I play heel-up and never rest down one the heel platform.

The pedal has a 5-year limited warranty. Cast parts are covered moving parts are not. One thing to consider about the DW 9000 is it cannot be converted to a double-pedal set-up. If you have no interest in a double-pedal or want a solid dedicated single, of the choices out there this is nice option.

I really like the sturdy feel of this pedal. The footboard only moves two ways, down and up. There isn't any side to side play or that swinging hammock feel I have experienced with a more entry level pedal. Also, used in conjunction with a drum rug the kick drum doesn't budge (at least not in my applications).

User Info Menu

Great review!
    PDP Platinum Series drum set (Fire Engine Red Metallic to Black Fade)
    - one 12" up, one 16" down

13x7" Ludwig Black Magic snare
    14x5.5" PDP Platinum 12 ply snare

14" Zildjian A Series New Beat hi-hats
    17" Zildjian A Series Medium Thin crash
    21" Zildjian A Series Sweet Ride

User Info Menu

Nice review. I picked up the 7000 pedal and am happy with it. My previous pedal was a TAMA from the mid 1980's!

User Info Menu

Thanks A-Ro and Stephen!

User Info Menu

Fabulous review! really good, a joy to read! I really like the look of the trusses, is that what they are called? the rods that hold the bearings? :P They look nice and solid, I would love to try a nylon belt pedal one day, but likeyou I am currently with the chain! Nice beater aswell, looks more sturdy than my pearl one, the felt has worn away already since christmas! Anyway, great review, lovely pedal!

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

User Info Menu

Great review and pics! Thanks for taking the time to do the photo shoot.

User Info Menu

Thank you Late8 & Mr. Goodwin. I appreciate it.

User Info Menu

Very nice review. Appreciate all the info.

User Info Menu

Excellent review and accompanying photos. I also have a DW9000, but it was still interesting to read the details. Thanks much!
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

Good review.

I used a 9000 double pedal a few years back and it is a good pedal. Very smooth action. The only drawback I found and it's true with all DW pedals is the hassle with adjusting the spring which is even worse with the 9000 since the spring is inside the frame. No problem once the pedal is dialed in but getting there is a pain in the backside.

User Info Menu

Good solid review on a good solid looking pedal! Well done, im considering the longboard dw
    Currently: Black Pearl Export Signature 8-Piece
    22" Bass Drum x2
    10" Rack Tom
    12" Rack Tom
    13" Rack Tom
    14" Floor Tom
    16" Floor Tom
    13" Sig Snare

Paiste Cymbals
    Alpha 14" Hats
    Alpha 17" Rock Crash
    Alpha 19" Rock Crash
    Alpha 20" Metal Ride
    Alpha 18" China

Zildjian 22" Amir Medium Impulse Ride (1980s)

Cajon
    Meinl Makah Burl

User Info Menu

areFish, I missed this thread before. You did an excellent job on that review. It will definitely set the standard for pedal reviews!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by robert alderman View Post
    Very nice review. Appreciate all the info.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tadman View Post
    Excellent review and accompanying photos. I also have a DW9000, but it was still interesting to read the details. Thanks much!
    I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverr1 View Post
    Good review.

I used a 9000 double pedal a few years back and it is a good pedal. Very smooth action. The only drawback I found and it's true with all DW pedals is the hassle with adjusting the spring which is even worse with the 9000 since the spring is inside the frame. No problem once the pedal is dialed in but getting there is a pain in the backside.
    Thank you. I haven't had problems with the spring adjustment, but I see what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by ToroZap View Post
    Good solid review on a good solid looking pedal! Well done, im considering the longboard dw
    Thank you TZ! Thanks for the bump too.

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    areFish, I missed this thread before. You did an excellent job on that review. It will definitely set the standard for pedal reviews!
    Thank you PB. I had fun posting it!