Thread: Stretching/DB Issues

User Info Menu

Default Stretching/DB Issues

I've been trying out a lot of quick changes from my hat closed to the double bass and back to the closed hat and my oh my do my legs kill.
    The one problem I've been having with my double bass pedal is that once I switch my left foot back from the pedal to the hat, the mallet swings back and hits my right shin which hurts like a beeotch. I've had many bruises from this but have just ignored it.
    Also, I heard that Joey Jordison loosens the tension in his pedals and positions the mallets closer to the bass for the fast effect. I'm not quite sure how I'm supposed to adjust where the mallet lies.
    Last question I promise , my ankles, calves, and knees have been hurting tremendously since I started using the double bass more frequently. My friends who play have been over and sat naturally to my set without experiencing any problems so I don't think it's the position of my pieces. Would stretching before playing help any of these problems?
    Thanks

www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

i cant ever remember pain as such when i first started double bass. i do feel strain sometimes after playing straight 16ths for a few minutes. the position is very important. i sit a little further away giving my legs room. doing calf raises on some stairs can build strength.

maybe the pain is coming from the muscles developing??

also, try playing that exercise ur doing heels down and play that exercise really slow. this helped me alot when i play heels up. makes playing heels up alot more comfortable
    Last edited by livewire80; 04-07-2007 at 06:06 AM.

User Info Menu

i have a buddy who plays heels down, and he says he has a lot more control, and his speed is building fast
    im a single pedal kinda guy so thats all i can offer lol
    i think eric from nofx plays all his crazy stuff on a single pedal, he blows my mind

User Info Menu

Hey 32nd, I might be able to answer a couple of those for you. As for the way Joey has his pedals set up, there is no way he can have the tension loosened and play as fast as he does. You should actually have the tension a little higher to get the mallet to rebound quicker to be ready for the next kick. Mushy tension will not produce speed or equal attack at highi speed.

For changing where your mallet sits, most higher end pedals have an adjustment for this. Pearl Eliminator, Tama Iron Cobra, DW 9000, Axis Longboards, to name a few. There should be a set screw somewhere on the piece that holds the mallet in place. On my Pearls, I can loosen the screw, move the mallet to where I want it to rest, then tighten the screw without changing where my pedal sits. It sounds like you might need to do this so the mallet does'nt swing back too far and hit you.

Your calves are going to start feeling the burn when you start playing double, but knees and ankles I'm not too sure of. Might want to move your throne around a little or change your posture. Your friends might be comfortable with your setup, but you might not be and not know it. Remember, one size does NOT fit all, especially when you are doing something as rigerous and technically demanding on your legs as playing double bass. Also, make sure you stretch your calves really good each time before you start playing, it will help the burn.

Hope I helped a little. Later!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Hey 32nd, try using the technique carter beauford has. he sets the hi hat pedal next to the slave kick and hits both at the same time, then if he only wants to hit the slave he then slides off the hi hat and enjoy.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy