Thread: Carpal Tunnel

User Info Menu

Default Carpal Tunnel

Hey I have a feeling I'm starting to develope carpal tunnel in my left hand.
    I've switched the way I play and hold the stick probaly around 4 to 5 times and my drum teachers says my technique looks really good but.... my hand still gets a numb feeling and a pain after practicing rudiments for awhile and sometimes on after playing on the set too . Lately I've been doing exercises with my wrist and I've noticed its helped alot, I changed my grip and I didn't notice any numbness or pain for like a week but I'm starting to get alittle pain again. Anyways I know I should probaly go see a doctor and will soon but was wondering if anyone had any advice or experience with this? Also I don't play like a wild man or anything and often I practice on my pad in front of a mirror so I can look at my hand and finger movements and control of the stick and not to sound ****y but I feel my technique is pretty good, but I'm thinking it may be because my left hand bends downward slightly which could be blocking the carpal tunnel in my wrist and causing this.

BTW I play a matched grip, probaly should take up traditional now though.

User Info Menu

pain will naturally come on and off as you play, sometimes spread really far apart. it's nothing serious but if you think that your developing carpel tunnel you should probably ask a doctor.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

man i keep telling these guys.. its not the drumming, cut your masturbation sessions down to 2 times a week and you should be fine.. JK yea if you get a numb feelin one of your nerves in your hand is probably being pinched. Also is it pain in your muscles or does it feel like its in your bone.. you can pretty much edit out CT if it feels like its in your muscles.. atleast i've heard that anyway, im not a doctor.. BUT I DID SLEEP AT A HOLIDAY INN LAST NIGHT. lol :D

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies, and the pain is in the right side of the wrist mainly but goes up to my thumb where that ligment is too ( I think thats the word for it). It may just be that my left wrist is weak, because the excerises I'm doing seem to helping alot
    Last edited by Eons; 03-24-2007 at 08:34 PM.

User Info Menu

i usually feel that where i get blisters alot
    dunno why
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Circa
    man i keep telling these guys.. its not the drumming, cut your masturbation sessions down to 2 times a week and you should be fine..
    TWO TIMES A WEEK? Are you insane or something? How do you expect us to cut down that much?

User Info Menu

Im not even gonna answer that

User Info Menu

ROFL Circa thats a huge commitment ur asking us to make lol all joking aside..i dont think i get that much pain and i play a lot..usually just some blisters here or there

User Info Menu

i don't know about carpal tunnel, but i've been playing with arthritis for years. i broke my right hand a few times when i was a teen and am really paying for it now. it usually only gets to me when i am pulling an all nighter (9pm-2am).
    by that 4th set, about the time we start playing the harder rock stuff my right hand is cramping pretty bad.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain
    i don't know about carpal tunnel, but i've been playing with arthritis for years. i broke my right hand a few times when i was a teen and am really paying for it now. it usually only gets to me when i am pulling an all nighter (9pm-2am).
    by that 4th set, about the time we start playing the harder rock stuff my right hand is cramping pretty bad.
    Have you talked to a physio? Sounds like a hell of a lot of stress on your hands playing that long.

I get a bit of tendonitis in my left foot (soccer related mainly) and I notice this when doing a lot of fast bass work over an extended period - but a couple of visits to physio taught me how to sort it out so it doesn't get worse.

User Info Menu

hey eon, I've been playing for awhile and never had a problem, until I switched over to a larger size drum stick namely the Thunder Rods. then I developed what they call a ganglion cyst at my wrist, it's since gone away, but I did switch to a smaller stick like 5A or even 7A try switching to a smaller diameter stick, for a while that might help.
    danthedrumman