Thread: mic'n n mix'n

User Info Menu

Default mic'n n mix'n

Hey guys, a newbie here. I was wondering I use a 5 pc kit and have seen alot of people when playing out use a kick mic, one on the snare which also picks up the hats, one on the rack tom one between the two floor toms and a condenser mic overhead and it sounds good, whats your take on this? Secondly, how many channel mixer should I use? Powered or unpowed? Or is it ok to have a powered pa with a mixer built in? any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: mic'n n mix'n

Are you talking about for recording or for live sound reinforcement?

User Info Menu

Sound reinforcement. I have read that some drummers mic the kit and do a mix before the P.A.! has anyone heard of this. I have never mic'd a kit before and was curious. I have a kick, snare, tom and condenser mics and was gonna try it but need more input. Plus how any channel mixer and what is the phantom power for overheads? Can the drum mics be used only in the mono channels on the mixer or can the also be used in the stereo ones. Any and all help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Mike

User Info Menu

I do music tech at college and from what i know, assuming this is for a live performance, phantom power as standard is 48v.
    As for the snare and hats, i would strongly advise a dynamic microphone on each rather than a condenser as too much sound is lost through the condenser mic. Providing your toms arent tuned ridiculously low i'd also advise dynamic mics on them. Another advantage of this is that dynamics are waaaay more robust so if you hit them accidentally theres less chance of them breaking

For a 5 pc kit with each drum miked, plus hihats youll need 6 channels, if youre playing just a small venue, overheads are probably unnecessary but if you do use them then use a pair (1 between hats and hi tom, and 1 between mid tom and lo tom) which means youll need another 2 channels.

As for the stereo channels im not certain, but i would assume that they would need to be used as the drum kit is being amplified through a P.A. system (??)

Hope this helps