Thread: Not trying out again

User Info Menu

Default Not trying out again

Hey guys these past two years I was in my high school DL and this past year was a complete piece of crud. My instructers were total d bags to me and a couple other members so im not trying out again and its funny because when I was in the line and going to practice I loathed drumming and now that im not going to practices and try outs my love for music has come back and im learning new songs not only on drums but guitar as well.
    You can't change the past but you can always alter the future.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Not trying out again

Funny.. I remember someone who was just like you, and quit, leaving only 1 tenor spot open and much hope to 3 newbies.

Well, whatever floats your boat...
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

In my younger days, marching band was a blast. But, I have to admit, its not for everybody....especially with today's military drum corp influence. So, not a big deal. I think you are finding that there are many many ways to to enjoy your love for drumming. Good luck to you, Beet. Rock on !

User Info Menu

Hey Beet.....Thanks for sharing your experiences with the DL. I've never had a chance to even think about trying out for the drum in my HS so I don't really know what the challenges are but it looks like you made the right move. As with anything, if it gets to a point where the enjoyment is gone, then it's time to move on.

I envy you cats that have had a chance to experience what it takes to "cut it" and make the team. I know the competition is fierce.

User Info Menu

I was in my HS drum line and then moved onto a military college where I also made drum line. Great experience but as nio stated not for everyone. When you have dedicated instructors who actually care about you as an individual and as a member of the team it does make a big difference.

Now that I am back into drums I have volunteered with my daughters HS band and that is a rewarding experience also. Seeing young people develop a love for music is a great thing. For the past several years we have hosted a Summer DCI event and that is where you see some unbelievable drumming. I can't imagine the time and effort that those young men and women expend plus they have to pay to play.
    STACK57

Any man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile...
    Can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy".
    -- President John F. Kennedy

Gretsch Renown 57 and Renowns in Cherry Burst
    Noble & Cooley CD Maple kit and Horizon Hybrid kit
    Gretsch, Noble & Cooley, Pearl, Ludwig and Slingerland Snares
    Bosphorus & Zildjian Cymbals
    Gilbraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

Its a shame things didnt work out for you BB.

I have only good things to remember about my HS DL. Nice to read you werent totally turned off by playing music.

My son is in the same boat you are in but doesnt want to play drums in school any more, his music teacher has him totally turned off right now.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey