Thread: Back at DC with my new E-kit !

User Info Menu

Default Back at DC with my new E-kit !

Hi all,

Firstly , hello again to all DC members who I used to chat with frequently.

I hinted some months back I would be returning - here I am.......but more importantly - here is my latest set up that I have been building over the last couple of months......a new Yamaha DTX950 kit with a LOT of extra's.

When I was last here - I owned a Pearl Vision kit in Birch and was having some 'potential' neighbour issues......so I decided to go back to electric and sold the Pearl and bought a DT4Express Yammie kit, thinking I would be happy enough.......I was happy with that mid range kit but then I started hearing about the upcoming release of this new Yamaha kit and also started looking into VST programs.

So over the last 6 months I have sold 2 of my better pinball machines and worked a bit harder in order to buy this kit as well as a new laptop to run the VST's on, an Edirol / Roland zero latency UA25EX interface and quite a few VST's including Superior Drummer2.0 with a load of extra libraries and the entire Steven Slate Drum collection.

It has been , and still is a steep learning curve with all this gear.......the hook-up of the kit / interface / laptop was easy- the learning of matching the midi notes was difficult to get at first but I am OK now......and the search for the ultimate drum sound continues.

I have to say that without a doubt in the World - this is the BEST set-up I have ever possessed and will be in my possession for a long time

If I am able to assist anyone with VST help, midi help that is struggling, then I am happy to TRY and answer any questions.

The red cables in the images are my own custom made cables using Canare LT2S cable and Neutrik connectors - more stuff about this kit can be seen at my site if you Google Wottos Pinballs and follow the Drums & Music link at the bottom of my main page.

Talk Soon

Wotto
    Last edited by Wotto; 05-19-2010 at 05:22 AM.
    ' Up the Irons '

User Info Menu

Default Re: Back at DC with my new E-kit !

Looks amazing! I'd love to play on one of those! How does it compare to your acoustic kit? Also how do you like those DTX pads? I'm getting ready to buy myself an e-kit for evening practice and am torn between the DTXpress IV Special and the DTX550. They're essentially the same except the 550 costs $300 more, comes with one less crash, but in return you gain a DTX snare. Are those pads so good that they're worth losing a crash and spending $300 more?
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Good to see you again Wotto, and wow, that's quite a change in set up! I am still baffled by MIDI, so good for you that you were able to conquer it.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

DLDante - These new pads are SUPERB

I highly suggest that you get to a local drum shop and get a play on them.
    I suggest the DTX550 kit and maybe grab another cymbal for a few hundred bucks.

The feel of the pads is VERY VERY good and the sensitivity is also fantastic.
    They HAVE to be the future of E-drums.

I should also say that in the past I have owned a Roland TD10 kit with mesh heads which these DTX pads are at least 5 times better than ( not like a trampoline- sorry Roland owners )......also I have been whackin these DTX pads for a couple of months and there are no marks , no dents or divots and I use 5A or 7A nylon tip sticks.
    Last edited by Wotto; 05-19-2010 at 05:23 AM.
    ' Up the Irons '

User Info Menu

What a great setup !!! I am going the same direction with the vst ! Could You pm Me You phone # so We can talk about the vst setup I have several questions thanks john
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
    What a great setup !!! I am going the same direction with the vst ! Could You pm Me You phone # so We can talk about the vst setup I have several questions thanks john
    Hi John

I am in Australia - would be an expensive phone hook up - but feel free to email me at brainsnap@kooee.com.au.

I will see if I can help.
    ' Up the Irons '

User Info Menu

Hey Wotto...just wanted to let you know...your kit looks awesome!..nicely done...I've got to go try those new pads out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scorch whammin View Post
    Hey Wotto...just wanted to let you know...your kit looks awesome!..nicely done...I've got to go try those new pads out
    Been thinking the same thing !
    E Drums !! !

User Info Menu

Beautiful Wotto Nice to see you again too
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Very nice set up! Wow....amazing pics too! Thanks for the detailed write up!

User Info Menu

great kit! do you think you'll get an acoustic again, or be playing only e-kits from now on?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCcoolio View Post
    great kit! do you think you'll get an acoustic again, or be playing only e-kits from now on?

After owning about 10 kits in the past - I am nearly 100% sure that this is FINALLY it.

I doubt I would go back to acoustics as I only play at home and teach a few beginners as well.

This gives me great 'feel' as well as absolutely endless kits and sounds and also saves me neighbour hassles as I can use headphones - I also have this running through an amp and out to some nice large speakers and a 15' Velodyne subwoofer that allows the kick drum to thump your chest. I run it through the speakers when I want to - and if I get the cranky neighbour lurking around I just switch back to headphones.

So at the moment it is really the ultimate package that suits all my needs.
    ' Up the Irons '

User Info Menu

wotto gotta say again what a Killer setup !! What speaker setup do you have ?
    E Drums !! !

User Info Menu

I got a chance to try out that DTX900. It's awesome! Those pads beat the snot out of Roland's mesh, in my opinion. I still wouldn't compare them to "real" drum heads though. I know all the e-kit makers like to say they're pads feel more real because of this and that, but none of them really do. These DTX pads, however, are the most comfortable of all the pads currently available.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Very nice set up! Wow....amazing pics too! Thanks for the detailed write up!
    X10

Thanks!!

Looks great!
    Signature here