Thread: Grip tension

User Info Menu

Default Grip tension

So when I play, I get this tension between my thumb and pointer finger on my right hand(but never my left) which keeps me from keeping my grip on the stick. I play almost everyday and sometimes it comes right away, and sometimes it comes later into the session. I was wondering what this might be and if someone had experienced this before? And If there is a solution to this problem.. ive tried loosening the grip but maybe I'm doing it wrong idk...

User Info Menu

Default Re: Grip tension

I hold the sticks so loose that they almost fallout of my hands lol

I don't get those sort of problems with my grip. Maybe try holding the sticks so loose that they feel like they ARE going to fall out of your hands lol
    - Zack

User Info Menu

If you play right lead, it is likely that you are playing a lot more notes with your right hand. It sounds like a grip problem. Try this: take a band aid and put it around the index finger on your right hand, right at the knuckle closest to the nail. Try playing while keeping that band-aid off of the stick, kinda like if you had a blister. First, see if this helps ease the tension as it will make you aware of your playing traits. See if you can then train your right hand to learn to play more relaxed.

User Info Menu

I agree with the loose grip and needing to relax.

Also, if you are playing every day try cutting back to every other day to give your hand a break until you see some improveement in it.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

@ xsabers, so with the band aid thing, i should play with the stick further back on the pointerfinger? and that brings up another thing, I got a gnarly blister on my right thumb, but again, not on my left.. Its gone now luckily

User Info Menu

I hold my sticks very loose, but still sometimes have this problem when I don't warm up properly. When I get ripping right away, my grip tightens up and I get this pain.

The situation also improved when I changed my grip from being mainly thumb and index finger, to being more of a thumb, index and middle finger thing. I saw Dave Weckle describe this grip on Youtube, and it works really well for me. You move the index finger further out on the stick. To me, this grip feels more efficient too.

Good luck!

Petter
    ---------------------------------

Gretsch Renown Maple, Deep Inca Gold Sparkle
    12*9, 16*16 FT, 18*16 FT, 22*20
    Tama Starphonic Aluminum 14*6 snare
    Istanbul Mehmet Session: 16" & 18" crash, 22" ride, 14" hats
    Currently Evans coated G2s, G1 on snare, EMAD batter and reso
    Tama Speedking double kick pedal, Gibraltar HW

User Info Menu

anyone got tips for helping me out with my grip. i got a poor grip , its like where the stick keeps creeping up my hand, so im basically holding the butt of the stick with my ring and middle finger, this keeps me from being able to play straight 16th notes and doing good rudiments. help

User Info Menu

@ cabbage, I found that video and I'm gonna watch it after work, thanks! And for the guy above me, it sounds like your not gripping tight enough

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
    I hold my sticks very loose, but still sometimes have this problem when I don't warm up properly. When I get ripping right away, my grip tightens up and I get this pain.

The situation also improved when I changed my grip from being mainly thumb and index finger, to being more of a thumb, index and middle finger thing. I saw Dave Weckle describe this grip on Youtube, and it works really well for me. You move the index finger further out on the stick. To me, this grip feels more efficient too.

Good luck!

Petter
    My friend, that video changed my life, i played for an hour today using this crip (more like a hybrid, like you said with the pointer and middle) and i didnt get sore at all, i actually played more smooth... atleast I think I did I hope it's not in my mind haha. Thanks again!

User Info Menu

Loosen your grip.

User Info Menu

The end of the stick should be able to move freely in your hand when you hit the drum (of course while being able to control it with your fingers)
    - Zack

User Info Menu

I've experienced exactly the same with my right hand. Apparantly it's not that uncommon. There's some real useful advice in this thread!
    Erik

User Info Menu

That sounds exactly like the problem that I have. Doc told me that I have tendon damage in the area of where your forefinger and thumb work in conjunction to form a gripping action. He said it was from a past injury I experienced. In order to not have it happen when I play, I have to hold the stick very loose like everyone has said here. The problem being, I can't hold onto the stick with enough pressure to relieve the pain and at the same time keep the stick from hitting someone. So I did some searching and found these. Problem solved. It's cheating, but I don't care. It allows me to keep on playing with no pain and the need to pick up sticks during breaks. There called Gig Grips.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by powerbomb91 View Post
    anyone got tips for helping me out with my grip. i got a poor grip , its like where the stick keeps creeping up my hand, so im basically holding the butt of the stick with my ring and middle finger, this keeps me from being able to play straight 16th notes and doing good rudiments. help
    If the stick is creeping up your hand you might want to try something like Stick Gripps or Vater Grip Tape. It'll help keep the stick from sliding around.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^