Thread: any hardcore drummers?

User Info Menu

Default any hardcore drummers?

Hey im new to the screamo deathcore kind of drumming and I was wondering how you learned to play this type of music because im having trouble with it. Its not that im bad or that im not good at double bass because im actually really good at it but learning songs are tough. The song i want to learn is to plant a seed by we came as romans. So any tips on how people develope this kind of playing style would be much appreciated
    You can't change the past but you can always alter the future.

User Info Menu

Default Re: any hardcore drummers?

i try to listen to music i want to learn on really good speakers or headphones so i can clearly hear the notes. thats the easiest way for me to figure it out.

the play along on the set,

then repeat

and repeat

then again...

User Info Menu

I don't play Deathcore or anything close to that, but I am into Alternative Metal and Metal, which uses a lot of double bass. Just practice. That's all i can say. If you've been playing single pedal for a while you'll see that your left leg is a lot weaker and uncoordinated than your right (if you're right handed). You've just got to keep playing to songs and eventually you'll work up the strength and coordination. My left leg caught up in about 2-3 months, playing at least 2 hours a day.
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

screamo/deathcore isn't hardcore, hardcore is more of a punk influence, but either way I would just listen to the bands that yous are trying to have a similar sound of and try to duplicate, then create.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Constinator25 View Post
    I don't play Deathcore or anything close to that, but I am into Alternative Metal and Metal, which uses a lot of double bass. Just practice. That's all i can say. If you've been playing single pedal for a while you'll see that your left leg is a lot weaker and uncoordinated than your right (if you're right handed). You've just got to keep playing to songs and eventually you'll work up the strength and coordination. My left leg caught up in about 2-3 months, playing at least 2 hours a day.
    Ok so im going to try some excercises like rudiments and stuff for double bass and try and learn songs. Any recomendations on that kind of stuff or some good songs to get better at double bass with?

User Info Menu

I don't know if you've done this already, but I learn songs by watching youtube videos of someone else doing it. There's some occasions when I can learn by ear, but for the most part I need something visual. Monkey see, monkey do, eh?

On a side note, We Came As Romans is a great band. You should check out An Ever Growing Wonder. That's my favorite song by them.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Beetbox View Post
    Ok so im going to try some excercises like rudiments and stuff for double bass and try and learn songs. Any recomendations on that kind of stuff or some good songs to get better at double bass with?
    I know some, but they might be a little non-heavy for you. They are metal though.

Demon Hunter:
    -Collapsing
    -Fading Away
    -Undying
    -Not Ready to Die
    There's probably others that I don't really like, they're old stuff is really hardcore.

Breaking Benjamin:
    -I Will Not Bow
    -Diary of Jane
    -Blow Me Away
    DB-pedal is used sparingly in these songs. Relatively easy to play.

Skillet:
    I've never heard DB used in their songs, but they're the perfect playground for DB creativity.

Avenged Sevenfold:
    I don't really like em', but Afterlife has some great DB rifs.

Others that I personally don't listen to much:
    -Slipknot
    -Bullet for My Valentine
    -As I Lay Dying

Good luck!
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

ok ill look them up btw i just smashed my finger on my floor tom lol i was going good too

User Info Menu

It's hard to offer suggestions with you indicating what problems you're having.

Try this though and see if you can do it. Set a metronome at 200 bpm and match it with your right foot if right handed or left foot if left handed. Now turn this into triplets by adding your left {or right if left handed} foot between every other beat. This should be no problem. Now try the same thing using your opposite feet. Can you do this and get that same triplet or gallop feel? For how long can you do it compared to your primary leading foot? FWIW, when I started playing double bass it took me about 2 years to develop this skill to where my left foot equaled the strength and control of my right. About the same as it took me to learn open handed playing. Unfortunately I'm one of those that nothing came quick or easy so hopefully if you work at this it will happen much faster for you.

I'm suggesting this because after listening to this song which I don't remember hearing before, I guessing that the problem you are having is with the starting and stopping of the bass drum pattern considering what you've written about your double bass playing skills already. This is a great exercise to develop the skill of starting and stopping a bass drum pattern as well as the skill of switching the lead foot of a bass drum pattern.

User Info Menu

Iv found that setting the equaliser on itunes (assuing youre using itunes) to treble booster seems to make the drums much easier to hear. I listen to heavier metal where theres more complex fills, and generally a faster tempo.

Doing this will help you hear the drums more clearly, also a good pair of headphones, or at least some decent earphones with rubber buds like the 'sennheiser cx' series is essential.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fgb729 View Post
    screamo/deathcore isn't hardcore, hardcore is more of a punk influence.
    I'm glad someone said it. hahaha

anyway, i used to be sluggish with double pedal, i started to just go rudiments with my feet.

eight on a foot A.K.A eight eighth notes with one foot, then switch.
    keep doing it non stop. your shins will burn after a while, but it will help a lot.
    change it up after a while, doubles, parradiddles, and 16th 8th note jingles
    a good one i did was called dut dut digga digga. i got it from my hs line, and just did it with my feet. if you want more info on that, ill try and make a video sometime this week

User Info Menu

Cool Re: any hardcore drummers?

I play numetal like slipknot. Seeing as you need some tips, first off, learn how to play double bass efficiently and quickly. That helps a LOT. Another tips is to listen. Listen actively at high volumes. You'll hear every crash, tom hit, bass drum strike, or snare drum roll the drummer plays. Thridly, practice. Sometimes, dont play any songs when you practice. Practice some DB beats or something you needed to work on to perfect a song. When you practice without headphones or music you hear and see how you actually play. If it sounds like noise, you're doing something wrong. If your double bass hits are a perfect right/left/right/left pattern, its easier to go faster and to play harder songs. In metal's case, its not so much about easy beats and simple riffs qnd you know that. When you play death metal drums, its more technical and more advanced than say, thrash or hard rock. Be sure to keep your time and practice with a metronome. A metronome is a drummers best friend.
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

most bands in this genre during the screamo verses/breakdowns your following the guitars on the kick and doing 1/4 or 8th notes on a crash/china/hats with snare on either every half or 2nd beat :D choruses are normally simpler :D hope it helps

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c2UQTbaTOQ"]YouTube - Asking Alexandria - A Candlelit Dinner With Inamorta[/ame]

and in parts this one

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGTvxm4mcQ4"]YouTube - A day to remember- downfall of us all[/ame]
    Last edited by sheoth; 09-26-2010 at 04:05 PM.
    | Yamaha Stage Custom | Sabian AAX | Dream |