Thread: live sound

User Info Menu

Default live sound

hey all, I was curious if anyone had ever tried to use a powered bass amp as a temporary alternative for a vocal monitor?

I guess i'm thinking of maybe trying to run the vocal mic into the input on the amp and then from the amp to the mixing board and using the bass speaker for the monitor for the time being. Anyway our singer has been laid off work for a year and cant yet afford a real monitor system so we're searching for an alternative!

User Info Menu

that would be... loud lol. is it the only amp you have available?
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

it is in fact the only amp we have available for that. yes i guess it would be pretty loud but i was thinking we may be able to turn the volume down on the amp to a comfortable level and it not affect the volume of the main speakers but i'm not for sure that is possible. do you think it would harm the bass amp or pa system if we tried it?
    Last edited by offbeatD; 03-25-2007 at 05:11 PM.

User Info Menu

Cool live sound

Welcome aboard, offbeatD!

I'm not sure, but wouldn't you have a potential feedback problem?

Since you'd be plugging the vocal mic into the bass amp--and, I would imagine, you'd have the amp turned to face you so you could monitor the vocaks--you'd have to keep the level down very low to reduce the chances of feedback. If you have it pointed toward you, you'd pick up the feedback from the mike, much as you would if you're pointing the amp at the bass...and doin' it that way is almost like not having a monitor at all...

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

what size venue are you playing? or is this hypothetical? i would definately suggest rather than putting yourself through the trouble and potential amp damage to just borrow an amp. not sure about your area, but we have a stage rental store right down the street. find one of those and you'll be set.

User Info Menu

we practice in a full basement and occasionally play outside at parties, we always have a group of people around when we play and they get the mix of the main speakers but our singer says he can hardly hear himself. he just knew i had that amp to spare and asked if it was possible!

User Info Menu

well going to a bass amp just to give your singer a little break isn't all too wise. kinda selfish of him in my opinion. if he needs one that bad, just find a small amp to help him out. otherwise, voice carries

p.s
    sorry if that sounded harsh but i'm not one too big on lyrics in a song or singers.

User Info Menu

lol, ok 32nd i can kinda relate to your singer comment. I do appreciate the feedback!

User Info Menu

no problem bro. hope your future gigs go well. make your singer a cup of hot tea and give him a Halls fruit breeze... he'll be on his way lol. im just messing. kepp it real