Thread: Will Windex clean my entire set safely? Drums, hardware, and cymbals?

User Info Menu

Default Will Windex clean my entire set safely? Drums, hardware, and cymbals?

Will it?
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Will Windex clean my entire set safely? Drums, hardware, and cymbals?

I've been using Windex on drums and stands for years and it doesn't hurt 'em. I wouldn't recommend it for cymbals. It just doesn't work as well.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Will Windex clean my entire set safely? Drums, hardware, and cymbals?

+1 windex rocks for the quick shine on the set and stands. There is alot better things to use on the pies.

User Info Menu

I wouldn't use it on a lacquer finish personally.

User Info Menu

I agree with xsabers. I wouldn't use it on any of my lacquer kits. I'd rather use Pledge or just a damp rag. Windex isn't meant to be used on wood. Pledge is. I'm just saying...
    R.I.P.
    1. Apollo in Natural Wood - 5 pc
    2. Ludwig Blue/Green Badge in Chrome over Maple - 7 pc
    3. Simmons SDS - 5 pc
    4. Tama Superstar Double Bass in Cherrywine Stain - 9 pc
    5. Pearl Export Double Bass in Wine Red - 9 pc
    6. Tama Rockstar Double Bass in Purple Wrap - 10 pc
    7. Mapex Orion Classic in Birdseye Maple with Gold Hardware - 6 pc
    8. DW Collectors in Red Sparkle Wrap with Gold Hardware - 8 pc
    9. Mapex Pro M in Purple Stain - 5 pc
    10. DDrum in Orange Vistalite - 4 pc
    11. Mapex Meridian in Satin Maple - 4 pc
    12. Mapex Pro M in Crimson Swirl - 5 pc
    13. Mapex Saturn in Wax Natural Maple - 6 pc
    14. PDP Concept Maple in Blue Sparkle - 7 pc
    15. Mapex Saturn in Purple Sparkle - 8 pc
    16. Mapex Saturn in Satin Mapa Burl - 8 pc
    17. Gretsch USA Custom in Savannah Sunset Duco - 9 pc
    18. DW Collectors in Broken Glass - 9 pc
    19. DW Collectors in Ruby Glass - 9 pc

Current Kit
    20. Ludwig Classic Maple in Vintage White Marine - 6 pc

On Order
    21. DW Collectors in Candy Blue Azure Burst Over Exotic Mapa Burl - 7 pc

User Info Menu

Since Windex is not an ammonia based product anymore, I can't see that it would harm a lacquer finish. With that said, I still choose to use a guitar polish on my drum shells, just because it shines them so well.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Don't use it on Lacquer it will cloud it over time.

User Info Menu

I'd be way too afraid to use any household chemicals on my cymbals. I have heard lemon halves or lemon juice is supposed to be good for cymbals, but again, way too afraid to try for myself.
    Just crank that volume to the point of pain...Why waste good music on a brain?! -Spinal Tap

User Info Menu

Thanks for the quick responses everyone. I've got to do the strip em' down and clean em thing over the next few days... Wish me luck...
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Constinator25 View Post
    Thanks for the quick responses everyone. I've got to do the strip em' down and clean em thing over the next few days... Wish me luck...
    If you are going that far get some good car wax like Zymol, is a light compound, wont leave swirl marks. I am a car nut also, Ive seen guys use this on $100.000.00 cars. Its in light baby blue bottle. But for light cleaning damp rag or furniture polish.
    Premier "XPK" 10" 12" 13" 14" 16" 22" Premier 2000 snare
    Aquarian Heads, Responce 2, Impact 2 Bass, w/ reso.
    Paiste PST-5, 14" HH,16", 18" Crash, 20" Ride, 10" splash
    Tama Iron Cobra Double Pedal
    Tama RoadPro HH Stand
    Tama Double Tom Stand
    PDP Stands
    Isn't wonderful to be one of God's Children

"PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"
    "PAISTE POSSE"

User Info Menu

Smile Re: Will Windex clean my entire set safely? Drums, hardware, and cymbals?

I have read from my drum manufacturer ( Pearl) not to use any cleaner that has amonia in it as it will destroy the shine on on wraps and fog the finish on lacquers. Not to be used on cymbals or any chrome. I think vinegar and water is safe on any surface as it is chemical free and I use it all the time on the drums, cymbals and skins.Soapy water is ok too.

User Info Menu

I don't think Windex does a good on glass! LOL

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Since Windex is not an ammonia based product anymore, I can't see that it would harm a lacquer finish. With that said, I still choose to use a guitar polish on my drum shells, just because it shines them so well.
    I hate to break it to you pastor_bob but you are very wrong on the windex not containing amonia. This is what I found that is in Windex( Windex contains Ammonia and 2-butoxethanol) So I hope no one has used this on their shell as they will damage the finish. I care about my drums they are an investment and it hurts me when people talk about using all kinds of different chemicals to clean their hardware etc. Vinegar and water does just as good job and very safe on all surfaces I have been using it for years on everything.

User Info Menu

I stand corrected then PMM. I had thought that Windex had gone to a vinegar based cleaner years ago.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

PB-
    You're right on the money with the git polish..!
    I always thought Windex "formulas" were with
    and without Ammonia anyway..? That's not to
    say the other ingredients might not be a concern...
    Q-Would you buy another one if it were stolen?
    A-Well yeah... But, I'd probly turn into a homicidal maniac first!

User Info Menu

There are more than one type of Windex and there is an ammonia free formula.
    Be careful with the vinegar its usually about 8% acetic acid your putting on your drums there.

Im a pledge guy for my kit and ammonia free windex is great on wraps.

User Info Menu

Smile Re: Will Windex clean my entire set safely? Drums, hardware, and cymbals?

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I stand corrected then PMM. I had thought that Windex had gone to a vinegar based cleaner years ago.
    Now I stand corrected Pastor_bob you are right there is a Windex ammonia free out there just went and checked it out. I apologize to you and all the others that knew about the ammonia free windex and I didn't you learn something new everyday..

User Info Menu

A trick i picked up for cleaning cymbals from a sound guy who has been running sound for Planet Rock in Mi, for years says to use Worcestershire Sauce, then rinse it off with hot water. I have yet to try it but he says it works wonders.
    Life, like drumming, is only as good as you make it.