Thread: The best triggering for working drummer???

User Info Menu

Default The best triggering for working drummer???

I just got a Roland td-6. Excited!!! I want to convert my acoustic kit into an e-kit. I play nearly every weekend in two different bands, loading in loading out, setting up, tearing down, a lot of movement of the tubs.

What do you guys think is the best route to convert my kit? Triggers like Red Shots or Rolands, or going DIY and fitting the shell with a triggering system?? Red Shots seems to be easier and less intrusive to my pristine maple Mapex kit, but I risk having them get bumped all the time. I have another set of crappy shells I might convert and rewrap if I have to drill. I only use a few drums.

swing

User Info Menu

Default Re: The best triggering for working drummer???

I used the drumdial triggers, non-intrusive at all. You either tape them or you can buy the more sturdy kind shown here($56 for a 5 pack) that are screwed on. Very fairly priced, non intrusive, easy to apply, and effective:

First I put Remo Muff'l discs(sold singly 8-22$)under my existing drumheads to keep the feel of the drum as well as keep it silent enough to hear the sample over the sound of the stick impact.
    There are two versions, one is a ring and the other is a disc for total muffling. For the purpose of triggering you'd want the total muffling ones shown here:

After that just pick out some cables of your choice and a power supply for the module and you're ready to go. You may also want to get an e-drum or keyboard amp for audible sound option.
    Last edited by Russ; 05-29-2010 at 12:44 AM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I used to use a product similar to this. I still have them somewhere around here. Mine mounted to the lug assembly and the trigger was mounted less than 2 inches in from the edge.

Mine were indented on the bottom side. Just a dab of bathtub caulk in the center and it would adhere to the drum head very nicely.

When the trigger days were over I just peeled it off. Any left over caulk would just 'finger' rub off or fall off over time.

I believe there are a lot of options out today so have fun finding the right one for you. With new gear it's not always what you end up with, it's what you got to play with along the way.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Wow, thanks for the ideas guys! I never considered anything other then Roland and ddrum triggers. I really like the idea of a drum head with a muffle under it. I am considering a mesh head for my floor as I tend to pound that head into submission and have to buy new ones.

User Info Menu

what exactly is a trigger?
    hai dere

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by swingrays View Post
    Wow, thanks for the ideas guys! I never considered anything other then Roland and ddrum triggers. I really like the idea of a drum head with a muffle under it. I am considering a mesh head for my floor as I tend to pound that head into submission and have to buy new ones.
    I have used the roland rt triggers and they work well , easy to setup . As for the "pound into submission" I know of no mesh heads that will take that ! Playing a converted set takes time to get the feel for. If you are heavy handed using mylar heads may be the way to go. If the td6 is your first taste of e drums....you have just scratched the surface !!! Good luck !
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

I'm sure it's an okay drum module. Wasn't too expensive. I'm sure there's bigger and better, but for now I'll dip my toes in the water with this one. I'm still learning!!!

swing
    www.lovehaters.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spazz View Post
    what exactly is a trigger?
    Welcome to Drum Chat swingrays! Lot's of good information floating around here, huh?

Spazz, the triggers are devices that transmit the vibrations of the kit into useable electronic signals that can be interpreted by the electronic "brain" to produce sounds. Think of the drum trigger like a pickup on a guitar.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks Bob! SOOOO much info!!!

User Info Menu

I got the roland td-7 module, good sounds for the money although a little difficult to navigate the menus at first. I think you'll love it for triggering your kick and anything else you decide you want set up for triggers in the future. Td-7's are a little cheaper than Td-6 by the way.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Hi pastor Bob just thought I`d throw in my two cents worth. The trigger only uses the information of when the drum was hit and how hard, the electronic brain then uses that information to play a (pre recorded) sampled drum sound according to the trigger information.
    A bit different to a guitar pickup as this relay`s the actual signal being produced by a guitar string vibrating. The trigger is more similar to the keys on an electric piano.

User Info Menu

The TD6 is a great module, just recently traded mine for an akit

If you like the sounds on the module, check out the vex kits available for the roland modules. They sound MUCH better than the stock kits installed at the factory.

Have fun!!

Gretsch catalina maple in cherry red (fusion)
    Zildjian -18" ZBT crash
    14" ZBT crash
    20" ZBT ride
    Sabian -14" B8 hats
    Dream - 10" splash
    LP jam block
    Meinl tambourine
    Remo roto toms

Evans heads:
    toms-frosted EC2 SST
    snare-coated power center reverse dot
    bass-clear EMAD w/large ring