Thread: Batter/Reso relative tuning

User Info Menu

Default Batter/Reso relative tuning

As tuning is always preference and there are many desired rack and floor tom sounds, I wanted to reach out for opinions. What sounds are drummers after, and what are the relationships between your Batter and Resonant heads. For those who use drum dials, or those who measure in 3rds or 4ths, or those who measure by lug turns, Please comment.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Batter/Reso relative tuning

I like to have higher tensions on the batter, and lower on the rezo. I generally keep the rezo just above the "flappy" tension and I control the tone with the tension of the batter head. This gives a nice muffled sound with minimal overtones. I do the same w/ the snare. For the kick I keep the batter tuned just above "flappy", and the rezo relatively tight.
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

Animal, there is not one single tuning that is right. Different styles require different tunings to sound "right," just like drop d tuning on a guitar is "right" for Metal music. Having said that, I am still just learning to tune. My drum teacher tuned my new snare the other day and where I first tune the batter on the floor, then turn it over and tune the reso, she tuned it on the stand. I watched her tune the batter head, then reach under the snare to tune the reso in relation to the batter - tweaking here and there until she had achieved the sound that she wanted - and when she was done, it sounded great. There is soooo much to learn.

As to the tuning of my kit, I like hearing the harmony of sound between the toms, so I start with the smallest tom and find it's natural resonance, as I tune up the batter head from hand tight on the tension rods. Once I find it, I tune the resonant head the same as the batter so that I keep the pure sound. After that, I tune each tom a fourth apart, and again tuning the resonant head the same as the batter. Everyone who has played my kit has complimented the sound, so for now, I stick with it.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Pastor Bob, Thanks for your reply, I want the same effect of harmony between the drums, 4ths apart. This must be the guitar player in me. Right now with my lack of experience I think I will remove all the reso heads and mount the drums and tune the batters until they sound perfect. Then I will install and tune the reso heads until they compliment each batter head with the same resonance.

User Info Menu

To be honest, I don't keep track of how tight my batters and resos are in relation to each other. My starting point is 1 full turn past finger tight for both batter and reso, except for the snare where I start with 2. Then I just tweak it until it sounds like I want it to. The only one where I know exactly how it's tuned is my floor tom, it's 1 1/8 turn past finger tight and the reso is just barely over 1/2. Someone told me to try this and it sounds amazing for floor toms IMO.

Snare drum I usually have the reso looser than the batter.
    Matt

User Info Menu

I agree with Paster Bob about Tom Tuning. I find that by using a drum dial it brings the pressure of each head down to a science. It is far easier to get the reso and batter heads the same..

With regard to the snare, I like my snares to sound poppy/snappy so I usually tune the batter head up to about 90 on the dial and about 80 on the reso side.

To eliminate too many overtones, I use moon gel on the batter head of the snare. Frequently I will use Evans Genera batter heads.

dave0549jv Guest

I've been messing around with this myself. I usually tune my reso heads a bit looser than the batter head, but i thought i would try the opposite. I tuned my 12" tom so that the reso head was a touch tighter than the batter side. I left my 16" floor tom tuned tuned the way it was, with the batter tighter than the reso. Side by side, the difference is pretty apparent. The 12" has a tighter, more controlled sound, with a shorter sustain than the floor tom, which still has a nice boom to it. I'm not sure which i like better yet, but eventually i'll get them both on the same page.

I've used a Drum Dial for a while now, but i'm starting to get away from it. I still use it to get close, but i always end up fine tuning it by ear. sometimes the tensions don't register as exactly the same all around, but it sounds good.

I've found that the best way to find the sound you like is just by messing around with it. try new things, see what works for you.
    Last edited by dave0549jv; 06-13-2010 at 12:44 AM.

Larrysperf Guest

I tune to what sound I like from my drums. Batter and reso tuned the same. My kit is tuned low as that is the sound I like but its not for all. Tuning is in the ears of the beholder.My snare is tuned tight to get the best sound out of it. It has that Bonham sound, same snare.

User Info Menu

I tune my toms about 3/8-1/2 of a turn above wrinkles on the batters, and just above wrinkles on the resos. For my bass, I have the batter 1/2 turn above wrinkles on the batter, and slightly tighter on the reso. On my snare, the batter is roughly 2 turns above wrinkle, and the reso is about 2 3/4 turns above wrinkle.
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

when I got my current kit I tuned the reso and batter the same. Then after getting some Evans g2 coated batter heads I had to change that to where my reso heads were up a pitch from the batter. That was on the toms. The snare was just tight on both top and bottom. That worked for me.
    Mike
    I love the look and sound of a quality drum set.
    Gretsch is my choice.

Gretsch Catalina Maple 5pc. in Red Lacquer
    Pearl P 902 double pedal
    Cymbals: Paiste Alpha 21" groove ride, 18" Paiste 3000 medium crash, 16" Paiste Alpha medium crash, 14" Paiste Alpha sound edge hi hats, Sabian Xs20 16" crash
    Hardware: A mix of what works.
    VINTAGE 1979 LUDWIG ACROLITE SNARE DRUM 5 x 14"

VINTAGE 1972 SLINGERLAND COB GENE KRUPA SOUND KING 51/2 x 14"

User Info Menu

i tune batters loose and resos tighht
    Pearl Vision VX jet black
    Aquarian heads (Focus-X, Performance IIs, Super Kick II)
    Pearl Free Floating Maple Snare
    Vic-Firth 5B
    Pearl Eliminators
    Roc N Soc throne

14" Paiste Signature sound edge hi-hats
    16" Paiste Signature full crash
    18" Paiste Signature full crash
    20" Zildjian K custom dark ride
    20" Paiste RUDE china

In bands: Frame of Mind, and Become The Catalyst

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Frame-...7982037?ref=ts

User Info Menu

I tune my rack toms and floor all the same with the reso a little tighter than the batter by 1/2 to 1 turn and they sound real good. This is above the finger tight to get lowest pitch and tension test around the hoops for the batters and then the extra on the reso.

User Info Menu

I have Bob Gatzen come to my house and tune my drums for me...

...stay thirsty, my friends...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    I have Bob Gatzen come to my house and tune my drums for me...

...stay thirsty, my friends...
    Having Bob Gatzen as a drum tech is the most sensible thing I have heard yet!

Oh, and it's about 100 degrees today, so I am very thirsty!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Low 70's here...pretty much always...