Thread: Roland SPD-S

User Info Menu

Default Roland SPD-S

Roland SPD-S has anyone had any dealings with piece of equip what are your thoughts..................Bruce

User Info Menu

Default Re: Roland SPD-S

Welcome to Drum Chat! Thanks for signing in!

I use an SPD-S. Some observations for you:

--Great piece of equipment if you use samples.
    --Takes some serious studying to master---the instruction book is only barely useful (translated, does not explain things well).
    --Not as useful as a "mini-kit" (for that, would use something like SPD-30, if you are looking for Roland), although you can connect external pads and could use it as a mini-kit. It's just that you have limited sounds to choose from, as SPD-S main purpose is to sample sounds that you input through various means.
    --Essentially, limited to 512k additional memory (SPD-S is a bit "old style" in that regard, newer Roland equipment, like SPD-30 (which does not sample, but does enable live phrase looping), uses USB flash stick for memory.
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

Thanks Tadman I was hoping to use it as an replacement for blocks,chimes, take away some clutter..........

User Info Menu

It should work for percussion like that (check instrument list--should be on Roland site under the documents for SPD-S), though the SPD-20 (predecessor to SPD-30) was the flagship for percussion sounds, even though it did not have cajon options.
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

I used one for a while and it is very good, but I have now switched to using the Octapad SPD-30.

While there are some obvious connections between the two products there are significant differences.

If you want to trigger extra drum sounds - They both offer this.
    If you want to trigger extra percussion sounds - They both offer this.
    If you want to create drum and percussion patterns or sound layers - They both offer this, but with these differences.

If you want to bring in your own sound samples - Only the SPD-S offers this.
    If you want to play all the parts live in your percussion patterns or sound layers - Only the SPD-30 offers this.

The SPD-S has 9 trigger pads with dual trigger options.
    The SPD-30 has 8 trigger pads with dual trigger options BUT it also has inputs for external snare, hi-hat (and foot control),
    bass drum and cymbal, so in effect 4 more to total 12.

Ease of navigation to kits / sounds, is much better on the SPD-30
    You can back up to a memory stick on the SPD-30 while the SPD-S needs a flash card.

Both connect to computers.

Both have foot switch options.

The SPD-S has 181 instruments and lets you sample 399 more.
    The SPD-30 allows you 50 kits (8 chain kits) and 670 instruments.

I had some teething troubles (which you can read about here ) as I was using one of the first 5-6 in the UK, but it's all working how I want now.

Here is a video of it in action at our third show together.
    Plenty of room for improvement (especially as I could not hear the SPD-30!) but it's a starting point.

I hope all that helps.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-gkfylWhrI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-gkfylWhrI[/ame]
    PROUD TO BE ENDORSED BY DUALLIST PEDALS
    Drums: Phil Collins Pearl DLX | Pink Floyd DW Exotic Bird's Eye | Natal Bubinga Custom Fusion | Cymbals: DIRIL & UFIPeDrums: 2Box DrumIt 5
    BACK BEATING DRUMMING BLOG ||| PINK FLOYD DW KIT ||| PHIL COLLINS PEARL KIT
    www.graham-collins.com/drummer ||| www.pinkfloyddrums.com ||| PHIL COLLINS PEARL KIT