Thread: classic rock and blues gig

User Info Menu

Default classic rock and blues gig

got our first gig this week doing classic rock and blues at the Vets post, what would be the best heads to use, and whats the best tuning for them? Just want to be prepared. Anybodys help is appreciated, thks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: classic rock and blues gig

Probably depends on what bands you are covering. The head selections were not as varied in the 60's and 70's as they are now. Most drummers used coated white heads and remo black dot heads in the 70's. There is 2 schools of thought on tuning. Kinda chocked and thuddy, although I prefer a more open livelier sound esp. on blues.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Talking Re: classic rock and blues gig

Standard Remo heads very common.

For batter and resonant heads, coated ambassadors saw a lot of use.

Seem to recall silver dots also popular. Then, a bit later in decade, Evans hydraulic heads popular.

Again, depends on sound you want. Duct tape also popular for dampening.
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

I'm working towards playing at a classic American Car Show this month and I switched my heads from Remo coated ambass/Remo clear ambass to Evans blue hydraulics/Evans G1 clear. The Evans blue hydraulics have the a wet fat sound I often heard in '70s music so I thought I'd give it a try.

Here's a short 1:24 minute sound clip of the heads on the 9x13 tom and 16x16floor tom. The 9x13 has a two pieces of moongel on it and the floor tom has none. Although the hydraulics are known NOT to need any dampening, I used two pieces and found the sustain I needed.

Mics on the 9x13 tom was a Audix D2 and the mic on the floor tom is a Audix D4 and kick mic is and Audix D6

For the kick, I'm using a Remo PS3 with one Evans EQ pillow and a stock 1 ply ported black Pearl reso.

The tune is a short cover of Cream's "Sunshine of Your Love", no vocals or bass guitar. Just drums and guitar with the lead guitar added later.
    Try the Evans blue hydraulics....I don't think you'll be dissapointed.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dMMXJvNBec"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dMMXJvNBec[/ame]

User Info Menu

congrats on the gig ! birch use single ply coated , maple use clear or coated 2 ply throw a pillow in the kick some moon gel on the snare and let er rip !!
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!