Drum Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is drumming easier if you're short (heightwise)?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Is drumming easier if you're short (heightwise)?

As Yoda says: "Size matters not". Its 2010 the hardware is so adjustable any drummer of any size can set up comfortably. Although I must admit at 5'3" it can get difficult to set up power toms over a 24" bass drum comfortably(darn 80s kits).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    As Yoda says: "Size matters not". Its 2010 the hardware is so adjustable any drummer of any size can set up comfortably. Although I must admit at 5'3" it can get difficult to set up power toms over a 24" bass drum comfortably(darn 80s kits).
    I think maybe in your situation with a large kick like that maybe you would find it allot more comfortable and easier to play if you went to a tom stand?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DLDante View Post
    A good buddy of mine was 5'10" all throughout high school. He started growing again when he was like 20 years old. He finished college at 6'6".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DLDante View Post
    A good buddy of mine was 5'10" all throughout high school. He started growing again when he was like 20 years old. He finished college at 6'6".
    I wonder how tall I'll be when I finish school this year... I'm 16 and 6'4"
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Standing I'm 5'8.5" tall, size 10 1/2(USA) shoes.

When I sit next to a person that is 6'2" or 6'3", we are the same height. I'm extremely long waisted, long arms for a short guy(I'm of Scottish heritage, often wear a kilt when playing, & we are built low to the ground). I have two sets- 1 is 14x20, 9x13, 16x16, & 5x14SD, the other is 16x26, 13, 16, 18, 14SD.

No big deal. Just adjust the things, tune 'em up, and play musically.

User Info Menu

I've been told that I was once 5'-6" but I can't remember when. I'm now 6'-7" and when I crash my ride, I reach across to the far side because I think it sounds better.
    Renown 6 pc - Slate Silver Sparkle
    10, 12, 13, 14, 18x22, 5x14

13" KZ Special Hats
    16" Sabian B8 Crash
    16" Yamaha Crash
    18" Crash (no label)
    20" A Custom Medium Ride

User Info Menu

I am 5'10 but with short legs and long waist. I have no problems with my standard set 12,13,16,22 and 14 x 6.5 snare. My seat is at the lowest setting 16" from floor and it is very comfortable and I can reach all the drums and centre of cymbals no problem. My toms are mounted on the bass and I can play bass either heel up or down with ease.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    I wonder how tall I'll be when I finish school this year... I'm 16 and 6'4"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    I'm 6'4" and I'm finding it rather easy to move around the kit. I just can't sit too close!
    Yeah, I am 6'1" and I sit so much farther back than my shorter friends. Especially because I play such a little jazz kit. I don't ever really feel like it matters; what I get in reach makes up for itself in constantly having to adjust every kit I play on to fit me. I think the extremes of height could have a profound impact on playing, but being on the tall side of average, I would say, is no large deal.
    Kits:
    Craviotto Classic Series Solid Maple Kit: 14x5.5, 12x8, 13x9, 14x14, 18x14/Pacific LXE Kurillian Birch: 10x8, 12x9, 14x14, 22x18.
    Snares:
    Craviotto solid maple (kit snare), 1960s era Rogers Powersonic.
    Cymbals:
    Hi-hats:14" Sabian Jack DeJohnette Signature
    Crash: 17" K Custom Fast Crash
    Ride(s): 20" Bosphorus Masters Vintage, 22" Amedia Jazz, 22" Istanbul Agop 30th Anniversary ride.

User Info Menu

The grass is always greener on the other side... Sometimes I think being short might be easier to drum with, but it probably doesn't make a difference.
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

I'm 5'6" with size 7 feet!
    Im fine with my set up...

User Info Menu

I dont think it matters at all. Have you seen these kids on youtube, and I do mean kids..10, 12 yrs of age who are just laying down some unbelievable grooves!

User Info Menu

I'm 5'6". I can't say whether it's an advantage or disadvantage to being short and playing drums. I CAN say it's not nearly as big of a handicap, if being short is for drums, as having tiny hands and playing a 5 string bass!
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Being tall or short hasn't stopped guys like Stewart Copeland (6' 2") and Topper Headon (5' 6") from doing what they do.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I'm not that tall at 6'-1", but I have fairly long arms legs and a short torso. I usually struggle when I sit in on another drummer's set. The throne is always too low and most will not adjust high enough for my liking. On my own set, I use a folding bar stool for a throne. I like to have my knees slightly below my waist. Otherwise, I'll get cramps in my legs and lower back. If I know ongoing to be sitting in on someone else's set, I usually bring my own throne.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I can't see that height makes much difference in anything in life including sports or playing an instrument. It's the skill and coordination that counts.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I'm not even gonna comment in this thread, you guys got this!

User Info Menu

I'm 5'7" and I wish I was taller to play my big kit. I'd like to arrange it a little different but I'm to short lol

User Info Menu

I'm about average for a girl...5'5"...but all my height is in my legs. Even with my smaller kit I had to adjust a LOT to get things were they worked for me, and where my reach felt natural, and my snare wasn't below my knees.

Now when my 6'8" husband sat down at the kit, that was laughable. Looked kinda like a T-Rex trying to fit into a Corvette.
    "Well-behaved women rarely make history."
    -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, 1976

User Info Menu

Idk if it makes a difference. I have noticed a lot of famous bands have small drummers like 5'3" to 5'5" I guess other than fleet wood Mac is there and tall famous drummers ?

User Info Menu

It's all about the placement of your gear due to your stature. If your short with a limited reach, you will have to angle your toms toward you even if your using short tom sizes because the key to a set-up is ease of motion with zero wasted movement. My 13" tom is 1/4" above the rim of my bass drum on an angle and I'm 5' 10" with a normal reach. That means setting everything up as close as possible depending on your reach. If your tall then you can afford to mount your toms high and level with your throne up high. So being tall is actually an advantage to drumming due to the fact that your towering over the kit with a longer than normal reach. But when your not there should be nothing that should prevent you from drumming if your willing to compromise one's idea of what a "normal" set-up should be. Along with a little bit of thinking outside the box and a lot of tweaking. There are just as many tall drummers as there are short ones. It's all about how you place your gear.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I'm 5'6" and I have no problems with my kit.

User Info Menu

I can't say. I'm not short. However, I can't think that it would be. Simply adjust your kit to fit you properly.
    Steve
    "When I can match Buddy Rich, lick for lick, I will get a rack."
    Ludwig Super Classic

User Info Menu

I'm 5'5". I have both a Tama and a Mapex set. On both sets I need to angle the rack toms towards me. This is not a problem at all. However, it can be when I play someone else's kit. As someone mentioned, I usually bring my own drum throne with me.

I also notice that certain makes of drums (not naming names) I can't get comfortable on due to their mounting hardware.

John

User Info Menu

I personally have a bit of trouble because I'm 6'1" but have very long legs and size 15 (U.S.) shoes, so I have to sit way back from the bass drum. I think sometime soon I'll change the mounting setup on the rack toms to get them a few inches closer to me. Having such long legs also poses another problem in that most double bass pedals don't have nearly long enough connecting bars to get a comfortable angle, so I have to have the snare way out by my knees.