Thread: Alesis tk-5 or Alesis I/O USB-MIDI interface?

User Info Menu

Default Alesis tk-5 or Alesis I/O USB-MIDI interface?

I'm going to put tirggers on my drums for some Death and Black Metal I'll be playing this summer. I'm not sure which way to go with the controller though. Both of these Alesis options have their advantages but this is what I'm concerned about. Currently I run a separate mixer for my drums and my own monitor system. I recently quit using descrete processing and went to Sony Soundforge 10 software which I'm running off a Gateway notebook computer. Will running a separate program for the Alesis USB interface interfere with the Sony processing software or vice versa? The USB controller seems to offer more options then the stand alone TK-5 unit but it's useless if there are software conflicts. The GC salesman ensures there won't be any conflicts but I've been down that road with GC salesmen in the past where I trusted they knew what they were talking about when they didn't. I've emailed Alesis but haven't heard anything back since last week. No help there and I don't want to run 2 computers.

Does anyone have any experience with the Alesis I\O controller and running multiple software programs from the same source?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Alesis tk-5 or Alesis I/O USB-MIDI interface?

I use the Alesis iO|2 interface, but not for anything like you're wanting to use them for (I use it to hook up my MIDI keyboard and electric kit to the computer for recording). I've never had any problems with it, but I haven't used any other MIDI interface so I dunno how they compare with others.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    I use the Alesis iO|2 interface, but not for anything like you're wanting to use them for (I use it to hook up my MIDI keyboard and electric kit to the computer for recording). I've never had any problems with it, but I haven't used any other MIDI interface so I dunno how they compare with others.
    Thanks for this bit of information xweasel. Do you use the software, the bundled drum kit sounds, that came with the interface?

User Info Menu

Nah. I use it simply to connect the E-Kit to the Mac. I use the drum sounds in GarageBand ('cause I'm cheap haha)
    - Zack