Thread: Reso head and sound...

User Info Menu

Default Reso head and sound...

I just thought I'd ask for some opinions on how much the reso head affects the sound of a drum. Nevermind tuning...I KNOW that changes the sound a lot...but what I'm wondering is about quality.

I have a basic Mapex QR fusion size kit and it came equipped with Remo UX drum heads. I changed the batter heads to Evans EC2 clears and while it improved the sound I'm just not sure I'm happy with it. Not that it's terrible...but maybe just a little toy-like...ESPECIALLY the 10" Tom unless I tune it really low, then I can get some growl out of it...but I want that same effect with a higher tuning...growl, NOT boing! The same goes for all the toms...if I tune them high (and not even super high) they resonate, but that growl effect simply disappears.

So before I go blowing money on better reso heads, I'm wondering if it will make a big difference? And what you all would recommend as a good match for EC2's? Single or double ply? Same brand? Lets hear it...

User Info Menu

Default Re: Reso head and sound...

I have EC2 heads and my local music store recomended G1's for the bottom.
    and if I remember right if you tune the bottom higher then the top it will get rid of the ring.
    hope this helps

User Info Menu

G1s for the bottom are good, although I found the EC Resos to be a better match and actually added to the sustain a bit.

User Info Menu

Thinner the head, less sustian. Also tuning the bottom head higher will help with the ringing, but I also think it hurts the sound quality. I think they have Evans sst bottms. Something like that would probably really help ya.

User Info Menu

I like this post. I will say I am laughing at the growl example. As a 20 year guitar player, growl to me, is a nasty growling guitar sound with chunky gain. I dont see drums as a growling instrument. lol. I think I understand what your referring to when you say growl though. A big bodied tone that has even decay and warmth underneath the initial NOTE and attack. Almost like your playing the INSIDE, body area, of the drum. This is kinda what i vision when my toms are tuned just right and sounding big and powerful. I also do NOT fancy a BOING, tightly tuned, sound either. To me, this is a choked, restricted, toy drum, sound. I have found looser tunings or SOFTLY tensioned heads vibrate naturally generating the most energy transfer then tighter heads, and the trade off is warm bodied tone. Just my thoughts here.

User Info Menu

CORRECTION... softer or looser tensioned heads generate the most DESIRED energy ( frequencies ) that wakes the shell up and sound big, warm, and open sounding to me.