Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heel up or heel down?

Nehalem Guest

Default Heel up or heel down?

Sorry to ask this question, I'm sure it has been asked.
    I would like to know whether playing heel down, when mastered, is faster or more consistent than playing heel up. From experience, I know that when playing heel down, it is harder to get a nice punch because of the lack of power.

Yes, there will be exceptions and I'm sure it depends on the style, height of the drummer, bla bla, etc. But in general, if I were to choose one, would it be more beneficial to play heel down?
    Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Heel up or heel down?

Quote Originally Posted by Nehalem View Post
    Yes, there will be exceptions and I'm sure it depends on the style, height of the drummer, bla bla, etc.
    Took the words right out of my mouth......

User Info Menu

Yes, there will be exceptions and I'm sure it depends on the style, height of the drummer, bla bla, etc. But in general, if I were to choose one, would it be more beneficial to play heel down?
    Thanks
    You've kind of answered your own question. It honestly depends on the player on how they develop their technique. I play heel down 95% of the time. I only play heel up when I get it into my head that I want to get comfortable with it in order to be more versatile. Honestly, though, it's like the argument between match and traditional grip. You can do the same things with both styles if you master them so it ultimately doesn't matter. Just go with what you like.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

And I am of the opposite school and play heel-up 99% of the time.
    When I started playing drums I was 8 and sharing my 14 year old brothers kit, so I could only reach the pedals with my toes! Never have gotten comfortable with heel down at all.
    I do get some nice comments on my technique as a single pedal player, though.
    Match grip, too, just to put it out there.
    Just play and see what comes naturally and build from there. Just my 2 cents.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Heel up is generally regarded as the position to play faster more powerful strokes. I play heel up just because its easier and feels more comfortable... These things its mostly just personal preference though
    Currently: Black Pearl Export Signature 8-Piece
    22" Bass Drum x2
    10" Rack Tom
    12" Rack Tom
    13" Rack Tom
    14" Floor Tom
    16" Floor Tom
    13" Sig Snare

Paiste Cymbals
    Alpha 14" Hats
    Alpha 17" Rock Crash
    Alpha 19" Rock Crash
    Alpha 20" Metal Ride
    Alpha 18" China

Zildjian 22" Amir Medium Impulse Ride (1980s)

Cajon
    Meinl Makah Burl

User Info Menu

i like people to hear the bass drum, heel up FTW

User Info Menu

It also depends on how you are seated behind the drums. I found of I lean back a little then the heel up is more comfortable and louder but for most part I play heel down for soft to mid hitting. Once in a while I will lean back and give her a couple of good whacks where it is needed.

User Info Menu

I play heel up, all the time. Wish I could play heel down well, but I don't get enough power and I find that my shins hurt after a short time!

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

User Info Menu

See, it's all subjective. I feel like I can get the same power out of heel down as I can heel up (excluding taking my foot completely off the pedal and stomping down). But I know that most seem to find heel up more comfortable. I remember my drum teacher giving me a weird look when I told him I preferred heel down. His words: "that's a first". LOL!
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Welcome to the board Nehalem, you did kind of answer your own question but it is one of those personal things.Its what is most comfortable to you that really matters.

I play both ways depending on what and how Im playing, most of the time its heel up. This is where you will see more power / speed.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

Nehalem Guest

Well, thanks for the comments. I suppose bottom line is: if you would have to choose one style, based on whether it would be more advantageous than the other, which would you choose? Just out of interest.

User Info Menu

Heel up for me dude, but that's mainly because i can't play heel down to save myself.

Fullstop Guest

I play heel down when we're playing our acoustic song so it's not as punchy and powerful, otherwise it's heel up.

User Info Menu

I suppose bottom line is: if you would have to choose one style, based on whether it would be more advantageous than the other, which would you choose?
    Why must this be an either/or question? I use both all the time, and I couldn't live without either one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    Why must this be an either/or question? I use both all the time, and I couldn't live without either one.
    +1 on that I could'nt of said it any better. I play both ways all the time.

User Info Menu

i play mainly heels down for double pedal i dont know why but if i try to play double pedal with heels up i end up out of time with my feet :/ need to practice it :/ but it may be because im 6 foot four and its more comfy to have my feet flat on the ground :D
    | Yamaha Stage Custom | Sabian AAX | Dream |

User Info Menu

I play heel up for power and heel down when I am trying to feather the bass drum or when I need to play at a low volume and I use them interchangeably and I don't even notice I guess it is subconcious depending what I am trying to achieve musically.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    I play heel up for power and heel down when I am trying to feather the bass drum or when I need to play at a low volume and I use them interchangeably and I don't even notice I guess it is subconcious depending what I am trying to achieve musically.
    +1^ Took the words right out of my mouth...couldn't of stated this any better

User Info Menu

I use heel up for my bass drum pedals, and heel down for my hi-hats.
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

I only do heel down when I'm doing single bass drum triplets, and only then because I start in heel up and have to somehow do a moeller movement with my feet to get all three hits. The joys of being small.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Both, Up for a harder punchier sounding hit and down for more deep sustaining boom.

User Info Menu

I go up. I get some sort of bounce when I do down. And the bass is heard more
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

I only use heel down when I'm playing jazz and feathering the bass drum. Otherwise I use heel up for everything else, because there's more power, speed, control, just that I find it easier to tap the bass drum head lightly when using heel down.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

should be able to do both..

User Info Menu

Heel up,or down. That is the question. Whether tis nobler to suffer the shin splints
    of a flat foot on the pedel, or to let the blood flow to the muscles needed to punch it out! I`ve found flat foot fatigues my leg faster. 45 to 60 min. sets, takes its toll early on. I sit w/ thighs horizontal, leavel to the snare. I`ve found that resting on the ball of UR foot, U still have soft control & full power to blast out a PILE DRIVIN KICK !!!
    Hence the term....."KICK DRUM !!!" BUT...what ever works best for you.
    " Dont Stop Believin!"