Thread: Whining Sound????

User Info Menu

Default Whining Sound????

Hey guys, you've all been a great help with my recording setup so far, and I had a really good sound I was ready to use, but ever since I recorded an acoustic cover with my friend, I set things back up and not only do things not sound nearly as good (settings are the same) but I've got this incessant WHINING sound! It's driving me nuts. I've gone through and muted all the mics to find the culprit and it's still there. Here's a video showing what I mean:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmYf7jJk3EQ"]YouTube- Cole Paramore introduction AND Baiao[/ame]

Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Whining Sound????

Have you tried hum reduction software? Here's a YouTube video with a tutorial and example of before and after results from "cleaning up" the audio file.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoPjxQW_7Rw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoPjxQW_7Rw[/ame]

I don't have a pair of headphones at work right now to listen closely to the hum but as I turned up the volume on my cheap PC speakers, it did sound similar to an unterminated 75ohm video hum. Do you have a TV monitor hooked up to the computer to preview and monitor your videos? Or are you using your laptop to preview the videos before final render? Thanks

User Info Menu

Hmmm, whenever I hear a whiny sound when I'm practicing, I stop playing and say "Yes dear?"...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Hmmm, whenever I hear a whiny sound when I'm practicing, I stop playing and say "Yes dear?"...

^^^LOL

User Info Menu

Turn off the flourescent light.

User Info Menu

I'm using my laptop to preview. I also tried the light, but no dice. I fixed the whine actually by turning up the main out (haha), but now I'm getting the craziest effect, like liquid running every once in a while. I'm baffled. Any tips? Thanks guys!

User Info Menu

Cole, I had a similar issue when I first made my mic cables. Unplug them all and plug them in one by one, playing a bit, until you find the culprit. Then try a different mic cable to isolate whether it's the mic or the cable. Could also be the mic preamp in the mixer, but swapping mics in and out of a port will tell you that easily enough. Once you find the culprit, repair or replace it. I had to replace my bass drum mic and two cables on separate occasions. Good luck.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cole1paul View Post
    I'm using my laptop to preview. I also tried the light, but no dice. I fixed the whine actually by turning up the main out (haha), but now I'm getting the craziest effect, like liquid running every once in a while. I'm baffled. Any tips? Thanks guys!
    Turned up the main out and the sound changed? Sounds like a bad power supply possibly at the mixer. By turning up the main out may have created a bigger load through the amp and may have amplified a "dirty" power supply. Try switching outlets that the mixer, amp and anything you have plug into the AC outlets and turn the mains out up again and see if anything changes.

User Info Menu

Bumping up for update?

User Info Menu

Ah! Sorry! I found that the power source (more specifically, surrounding power sources) was a big issue. I had the whining sound pretty well out of the mix; until I plugged my computer in. Once it was connected to power the sound was back with a vengeance. So I guess the update would be that I can get rid of the whine now, but I still have that weird liquid sound every once in a while. Thanks again guys for all your help!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cole1paul View Post
    Ah! Sorry! I found that the power source (more specifically, surrounding power sources) was a big issue. I had the whining sound pretty well out of the mix; until I plugged my computer in. Once it was connected to power the sound was back with a vengeance. So I guess the update would be that I can get rid of the whine now, but I still have that weird liquid sound every once in a while. Thanks again guys for all your help!
    Good to hear you got rid of the whining sound

User Info Menu

Just ran some more tests, and with a small noise gate I'm getting a pretty darn good sound. I'll be recording a set of seven covers this week, so I'll be sure to let you guys know. Thanks!