Thread: Hand Blisters & Callus

User Info Menu

Exclamation Hand Blisters & Callus

Hey there

I've been drumming for a while now (just over a year now) - but I've always had blisters due to drumming... Should I be worried that I'm doing something wrong? I've not had any drumming lessons at all - just started drumming one day and taught myself.

Should I use any cream on my hands? Should I try using gloves whilst drumming? Callus is building well on my hands and I do drum regularly but I feel like I may be drumming too much - as I've had callus build on my fingers but then I drum some more the next day and it rubs the callus off and damages the fingers further...

Any tips would be very helpful

Thanks,

Mark
    Last edited by Marky; 06-04-2010 at 08:44 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Hand Blisters & Callus

relax your grip.

User Info Menu

NR has a good point. And Don't worry about calluses. I was told that those are actually good in playing any instrument. It means that your fingers are toughening up. I got calluses last year from playing tenors. Now my fingers have warmed up to the feeling of electric tape on huge, thick sticks. But NR has made a nice instruction. If you loosen your grip a bit, you won't get so much friction. As Miagi said in the Karate Kid: It's all in the wrist.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

well there must be a problem ,, after a year your hands should have toughened up , maybe try different sticks with different finishes. sticks with heavy finish give me blisters ,as does sticks with some kind of grip finish , i like a very light finish on my sticks ,, i use Zildjians . a quick fix would be a pair of drumming gloves ,
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

overplaying could be it, but i doubt it. most likely it is your grip. try to go to a clinic and see how they hold their sticks. look up some pictures online. its so important to your playing