Thread: New Cajon box

User Info Menu

Default New Cajon box

Picked up one of these today as it was on sale and have wanted a box for a while!

[Sorry saunders, but I had to delete the link because it is prohibited by Forum Rules. I gave you the pic instead. - PB]

local store had them DEAD cheap so I got one! Sounds amazing!

what do ya'll think?
    Eric & The Blues Band
    Ludwig
    Yamaha
    Ludwig Hardware (Stands)
    Pearl Hardware (BD Pedal)
    Tama Hardware (HH Stand)
    Zildjian (Zildjian League)
    Sabian
    Evans
    Vater
    Pork Pie
    CAD Mics

Music is Life

User Info Menu

Default Re: New Cajon box

I heard one played recently, and it sounded great. Congrats on the new pick up, it looks great!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I love mine. When we play in small venues it's what I use. Sometimes people come up during a break to check it out and can't believe the sound that comes out of it. I like to use nylon brushes on it too they sound great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by isurf View Post
    I love mine. When we play in small venues it's what I use. Sometimes people come up during a break to check it out and can't believe the sound that comes out of it. I like to use nylon brushes on it too they sound great.
    awesome idea!! i totally forgot you can use brushes on these things!!! Thanks!

*no prob pb*
    Eric & The Blues Band
    Ludwig
    Yamaha
    Ludwig Hardware (Stands)
    Tama Hardware (HH Stand)
    Sabian
    Evans
    Vater
    Pork Pie
    CAD Mics

Music is Life

User Info Menu

I Need some enlightenment on the Cajon..do you play with sticks ( and brushes ) or hands?? I messed with one in a music store with my hands and thought it was cool..
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

I messed around last night with brushes and it was awesome! But im a hand cajon box kind-of-guy.
    Eric & The Blues Band
    Ludwig
    Yamaha
    Ludwig Hardware (Stands)
    Tama Hardware (HH Stand)
    Sabian
    Evans
    Vater
    Pork Pie
    CAD Mics

Music is Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by saunders View Post
    Picked up one of these today as it was on sale and have wanted a box for a while!

[Sorry saunders, but I had to delete the link because it is prohibited by Forum Rules. I gave you the pic instead. - PB]

local store had them DEAD cheap so I got one! Sounds amazing!

what do ya'll think?
    I play Cajon...but I always find a way to get Peruvian Cajons from " Atempo Percussion " who now make the Alex Acuna Cajon for the Gon Bop moniker/ DW ( now is owed by Sabian ~ not DW is what I heard ) POP brand perc companies are to fast and loose in cajon design. I dont like the huge snare wires they add, trying to make cajons sound like a buzz box. They whole box buzzes w/ wires...UGLY. a well crafted Peruvian Cajon w/ or w/o snares have lots of tonal range. When they do have a snare sound...its actualy just a few piano or gtr wire strung diagonaly near the top side so snare effect is in a cointrollable zone and the mid tone & bass tone do no buzz. Now...it can cover all styles of music like a portable drum set ! Meinl, Toca, Pearl, LPs....all are lame copies of the REAL Peruvian Cajon. Too many gizmos...not enough musicality.

User Info Menu

I bought one a while back for $200.00 and it has aleady paid for itself through busking.. I just recently started using brushes on the front of it.. there are a suprising amount of sounds that you can get out of the little things. I know I have not even come close to learning how to use the Cajon properly, or effectively. We usually use a high-hat with it as well.. amongst other things.. It has worked nicely as a light weight alternative to luggin around a whole kit, it has helped us to save money on gas, and time for setup/break-down.
    I love mine, would'nt get rid of it for anything.. (well, almost)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MartyM View Post
    I Need some enlightenment on the Cajon..do you play with sticks ( and brushes ) or hands?? I messed with one in a music store with my hands and thought it was cool..
    Ernesto is also hooked on Rogers *...but my Cajon is definately a hand instrument as it has been in Lima Peru since Colonial days ! I have seen brushes used on cajons very effectily too ! I prefer traditional Cajons from Peru or Chile...or even Spain...but these Asian made ones are hit & miss experiments and most sound like JUNK ! For example...the Cajon crave seems to be SNARE crazy...but they put the snare in awkward positions so the entire cajon buzzes...always. I prefer only the top edges to buzz...so the remaining tones are clear like tom drums & bass drum voices. Most traditional cajons do not use a snare sound at all...but rather a loose sound edge for a dry slap tone...or the model that is uniformly fitted to the cajon for a more drum like tone & no slap /snare tone. If u wanna use sticks or mallets etc...I sugest a fiberglass playing surface...not laminated wood. If you do not know how to build the instrument...u wont appreciate ruining the playing surface !? Cajons are WAY overpriced for what they are & for the mediocre materials & sound they actualy have from manufacturers. I suggest...reclcle a good sized speaker cabinet from a second hand store & make ur own cajon that can be played any style u want...w/ stcks or even w/ bass drum pedal ! I have $5. cajons that are more musical than $200 ones from Asian sources !

User Info Menu

Ernesto,

You never stop amazing me with your great ideas! This idea of recycling a old speaker cabinet for a cajon is genius!

One thing I believe is that in the US we look for the nice neaat packaged instrument and loose sight of what really matters "THE TONE". Many awsome cajons are very ordinary to ugly looking but whocares if sounds good.

In these 3rd world countries and islands that these instruments often originate from the poeple often make their own instruments (not store bought). Often these handmade items exceed LP and others overall but often do notlook as beautiful. I would choose an ugly great sounding instrument over a mass produced inferior tonal but beautiful instrument.

Take some time and roll up your sleeves and you will not regret it.

Keep it fun,

Jerry