Thread: can i get my pearl free floating snare to sound like a reference snare?

User Info Menu

Default can i get my pearl free floating snare to sound like a reference snare?

i have a 6 ply maple pearl free floating snare drum,i want it to sound like a refernce snare, i dont know if thats possible though cause reference snares are 20 ply, and mine is just 6 ply, i have a coated G2 on the batter and an ambassador snare reso, i have the stock snare wires, and iv tried different tunings, but i cant seem to get the sound i want, what type of snare wires, and heads would make it sound similair to a reference?

the snare is in this video [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grVpsvfzHW0"]YouTube- Pearl Reference Video[/ame]
    Pearl Vision VX jet black
    Aquarian heads (Focus-X, Performance IIs, Super Kick II)
    Pearl Free Floating Maple Snare
    Vic-Firth 5B
    Pearl Eliminators
    Roc N Soc throne

14" Paiste Signature sound edge hi-hats
    16" Paiste Signature full crash
    18" Paiste Signature full crash
    20" Zildjian K custom dark ride
    20" Paiste RUDE china

In bands: Frame of Mind, and Become The Catalyst

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Frame-...7982037?ref=ts

User Info Menu

Default Re: can i get my pearl free floating snare to sound like a reference snare?

Be careful of trying to get the sound that you hear in the video. The sound is EQ'ed, and the drums are in a sound controlled room. What is it about your Free Floating snare that you are unhappy with? Is it the overtones of the snare, or is it the general sound?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Default Re: can i get my pearl free floating snare to sound like a reference snare?

I would say put a head on it with a power dot of some kind...but your really only going to get that sound from a very thick drum. Luckily you have a free floating shell, order a 20 ply shell cut for a free floater. It will cost money yes, but no where near as much as a reference snare. PM me if you need links.

User Info Menu

I agree with Yoda buy a Reference insert for your free floater from Pearl if it is available.