Thread: rhythms for bongo

User Info Menu

Default rhythms for bongo

I have been playing around with the bongos for a little while, boughts some books and play the Martillo. Basically, is there any other rhythm out there other than the martillo and guaguanco? Starting to get a little bored with the bongos...

User Info Menu

Default Re: rhythms for bongo

Too soon to be bored with Martillo - it is rich and deep. Infinte number of variations and fill-ins.
    Last edited by PsyAbi; 06-06-2010 at 12:54 PM.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: rhythms for bongo

That's like saying you're getting bored with the ride beat or the shuffle beat on the drum set. The martillo is the foundation for bongo beats most everywhere!

Another thing you might try is looking up conga rhythms in books or on websites and adapt them to the bongos...keep that beat goin, sean!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I think I am at the point to where I have plateaued with my skills with the bongo. What do you all use as motivation to improve? CDs? movies? study certain musicians?

User Info Menu

I absolutely understand your problem, and motivation is very important. Use Youtube and search Armando Peraza, Dandy Rodriguez and Jose Mangual sr. Having a good bongo is essential, and it would be interesting to know what you are playing.
    The bongo is an endlessly fascinating instrument, so dont give up.
    cat

User Info Menu

I've mentioned this more than a few times on other threads, but it's worth repeating: One of the things I enjoy doing is to play along with whatever's playing on the radio, stereo or even on the satellite TV music channels. Listening to different types of music and playing along with it challenges me to different tempos, different riffs and even types of music that you wouldn't necessarily think could benefit from hand drums.

It's helped keep me tuned in to what's being played even when I'm not playing it at a gig...

Good luck, bro'...

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Thanks guys! I guess I am 'conga mode' right now but will continue to enjoy the bongo as I sharpen my hand percussion skills overall! My 8 month old giggles when I let her bang on all my drums!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sean valdepenas View Post
    I have been playing around with the bongos for a little while, boughts some books and play the Martillo. Basically, is there any other rhythm out there other than the martillo and guaguanco? Starting to get a little bored with the bongos...
    U absolutely need to train your ear to the conversational & add lib aspects of BONGOS. That is the role of bongos...to be the addlib that knits it vibrant colors into the fabric of Tumbao / basic underlying rhythms. It has lots of terraced dynamics like a staircase to bring levels of excitement to the music. Also...the role of hand bell player is asigned to the bongosero. Hes not always just riffing like a slap happy tennager expressing his testosterone ! Different time signatures, 3/4, 6/8 for example. Also learn the various folkloric stylings, Cuban Son, Changui, Mambo, Son Montuno, Salsa...all have nuances. Afro Peruvian rhythms differ from Cuban or Brazillian ! Learn Jazz styles, BOP, Shuffle,Swing, Rock etc. Learn the vocabulary of many bongo styles, lift some solo riffs & phrases from old school guys like Jose Mangual, Armando Peraza, Francisco Aguabella, Mongo Santamaria, & Modern bongoseros like Jimmy Delgado, Anthony Carillo and all the recordings that feature Bongos....its all good ! Brazilian bongoseros are a world apart from Carriben styles of Cuba & Puerto Rico ! Bongos originate from Arabic Clay Bongos...check out North African bongos from Morroco, Tunnisia etc & Learn by EAR, listen to the big picture...how it all knits into music not just parts that are written in publications that are unpluged from the music context. When The music is not appropriate for Bongos...perhaps Cajon, Conga or hand perc IS !? Maybe...its time to get another cup of coffee !?

User Info Menu

Thanks guys! I guess I am 'conga mode' right now but will continue to enjoy the bongo as I sharpen my hand percussion skills overall! My 8 month old giggles when I let her bang on all my drums!
    I love that too...when Kids can connect & enJOY w/o the pent up self conciousness & cultural prejudgice of adults. Drumming & Music is all Cross Cultural within our Human family. Too bad we have to brand everything with names. Its just Human drumming & music...not Latin...not Bulgarian...not Canadian etc lol Kids are free of the BS !
    Last edited by Ernesto Pediangco; 08-18-2010 at 07:29 AM. Reason: typos

User Info Menu

Thanks Ernesto! Yes I did notice that the bongos are very syncopated in many songs. I guess at this point I just need to find a teacher that is adept at bongo for learning more and for inspiration!

User Info Menu

Sean, my now 11-month-old granddaughter loves to bang on my bongos (although there are times she finds it easier to climb up on my Meinls than to play them! )...the sooner they get started and the less self-conscious they are, the more self-confidence develops...

Thanks Ernesto! Yes I did notice that the bongos are very syncopated in many songs. I guess at this point I just need to find a teacher that is adept at bongo for learning more and for inspiration!
    I was extremely fortunate that my drum teacher loved (and STILL loves) Latin percussion, so if you can find a teacher who can help you on the bongos, that'll be a big help. But as Ernesto implied, there are many influences on all types of hand drumming, and there is no substitute for listening and practicing...

Good luck, man, from one (still learning) bongosero to another...

Charlie

User Info Menu

Any chance you practice rudiments sean? It will give you infinite variations and combo's. Jmo. F/T

User Info Menu

hey how u doin... u still have a lot to do wit the bongos im a bongo player in my salsa band
    u can improvice while playing the Martillo rythem and also u need to know the cowbell rythems . remember the bongo is like a clock it keep every body organize and together. keep in mind your 2/3 and 3/2 clave on the cow bell also. now that u know the rythems on the bongos practice with a congero and a timbalero so u can sink wit them and be on point
    Last edited by timbalero23; 09-07-2010 at 01:17 AM.

User Info Menu

that would be great!

I think at this point, playing with other musicians is the next step. The only problem I have is that I don't know any other musicians that play this type of music.

in the meantime, will play along with my CDs and see if I can travel to Miami where I'm sure there are lots more latin percussionists!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cat View Post
    I absolutely understand your problem, and motivation is very important. Use Youtube and search Armando Peraza, Dandy Rodriguez and Jose Mangual sr. Having a good bongo is essential, and it would be interesting to know what you are playing.
    The bongo is an endlessly fascinating instrument, so dont give up.
    cat
    YES great recomendations...and Martillo is the most important thing for Bongos...it knits the underlying fabric of Latin rhythms & locks the Tumbao & clave,cascara, guiro & maracas togeather. It is the CAKE...and every thing else is the icing on that cake ! Usualy...Bongoseros serve in a rhythm section after they are very aware of thier role as a rhythmicist & as an add lib phrasing artist * The role of Bell player is also usualy assigned to the bongosero incl. guiro & maraca patterns. An awareness of these roles & rhythm patterns & of dynamics...is largely part of the BONGO player requirements. Singing & dancing is the next level as well. Bongos is serious...fundamentals are key ! Brasilians & Peruvians have various styles unlike Cuban based styles...that adds interesting spice to a bongo players repotroire. Its all good...dont loose enthusiasim Little Grass Hopper ! There is no try...there is only DO ! lol Good luck ~ enjoy !