Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The progressive rock/metal band thread.

User Info Menu

Default The progressive rock/metal band thread.

I love progressive rock/metal, and being as there are other similar threads like this, what is your top 2 favorite Prog rock or metal bands? And why?

Mine is

Porcupine Tree - Gavin Harrison is an incredible drummer, the way he plays is not over technical, but so perfect for the song, and he just has such a great vibe to his playing, he has quickly become one of my favorite drummers, and I love there music.

TOOL - My main attraction to tool is of course Danny Carey, but also Justin Chancellor, Justin if an amazing Bass player, I saw them live and could not believe what he was playing, I thought alot of that was the guitar, but it was actually him, very talented group of guys.

User Info Menu

im pretty sure tool is the best band that has ever been. you can take othe "prog" bands like dream theater that can do amazing things instrumentally but dont move me in the slightest other than goin "wow how did he do that?"

User Info Menu

Muse!

User Info Menu

Creative yet very easily accesible.

User Info Menu

Tool of course. Danny Carey is my all time idol.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Behold the Arctopus.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jobby
    Behold the Arctopus.
    Such an awesome band

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eons
    Such an awesome band
    And a three piece too ... insane stuff.

User Info Menu

I got to agree, Porcupine Tree and Tool are pretty wicked bands. But my picks would be Opeth and Katatonia.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Katatonia ia awesome, I really like there newest album.

User Info Menu

I have to be totally honest here, I haven't heard of any of these bands/songs (except for Tool). I don't know any proggressive rock/metal bands..... I'll have to download some of your favorites and check them out.... Give me some more suggestions :-) Thanks

User Info Menu

Porcupine tree, Dream theater, the butterfly effect, onesidezero, cire, the mayan factor, amplifier, and so much more, these are just afew of my really favorite band, you seriously need to check them out.

User Info Menu

I definitely will! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ddrumbum
    Porcupine tree, Dream theater, the butterfly effect, onesidezero, cire, the mayan factor, amplifier, and so much more, these are just afew of my really favorite band, you seriously need to check them out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hellsbells58
    I got to agree, Porcupine Tree and Tool are pretty wicked bands. But my picks would be Opeth and Katatonia.

HB58
    Man I love Opeth - their keyboard player also plays for Porcupine Tree BTW.

How about also:

King Crimson (old school prog!), particularly 'Lark's Tongues in Aspic', which has a double-drummer solo bit in it.

Cynic, Aghora, Ephel Duath, Cryptopsy, Theory in Practice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick
    I have to be totally honest here, I haven't heard of any of these bands/songs (except for Tool). I don't know any proggressive rock/metal bands..... I'll have to download some of your favorites and check them out.... Give me some more suggestions :-) Thanks
    Sober by Tool is one of my all time favortie songs.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

May i suggest Mastodon and SiKTh? 2 Great bands!

User Info Menu

Question: What makes a band progressive metal?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick
    Question: What makes a band progressive metal?
    Good question.

I suppose a high level of technicality and drive for musical experimentation.

There's a lot of death metal bands that are called tech-death because they're rooted in complex technical aspects of music, but not sure how much that crosses over to 'progressive'.

It's a weird term, because so many 'progressive' bands sound like they're playing in the late 1970s.

User Info Menu

If they have desended so far up their arses that you cant see their faces THATS Progressive Metal!

User Info Menu

Rush is considered progressive
    I AM SABIAN MAN!

Next Drum Purchase: Piccolo Snare
    Next Cymbal purchase: Splash cymbal and splash claw.

User Info Menu

i will go with a newer band and an older band. Favorite newer prog band would have to be The Mars Volta, My favorite oldie hmmm probably King Crimson.
    Last edited by Sanzen; 04-28-2007 at 07:50 PM.

User Info Menu

what ive seen, a prog band is a fast paced band thats slightly metal, but not quite there, rush is a perfect example

User Info Menu

Well, I don't know if I really have two, mainly becuase prog rock/metal is not something I'm familiar by genre - I know dreamtheatre, and while they are taltented musos, I personally don't really like their stuff. The only other one I really know is Tool - and I LOVE Tool. Dany Carey is by far one fo the greatest drummers ever to grace God's green Earth. Watcing him (or trying to) is one fo the greatest most awe inspiring things ever for a drummer. SOmeone mentioned SOber, which is a good song, but I have to say I muhc prefer Ticks and Leeches for drums, or Schism, or The Grudge - almost anything off Lateralus in fcat - he did some insane things on that album. And the thing that really gets me, is when you watch him, it's as if he doesn't try. He makes it look......easy. I mean, seriously, the last thing people use ot describe Tool songs is easy.

That being said there are those who think it's all about speed and think he's crap, but they, in my opinion, are idiots.

Also, did someone mention Lazyeye on another thread being prog rock? if so, I can honestly say I like them too. Tony Royster Jnr is a freak. Actually, I just thought of another one - Chevelle. I really dig their stuff, sounds like Tool but not. And of course there would be A Perfect Circle also.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

What about Tea Party - would they be considered progressive rock/metal? I will also put forht the band called "10 Years" - just discovered them recently, but they are damn good, and i'm pretty sure they fit within the prog. metal idea.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

grasslander Guest

If we're limiting this to "fairly" new bands, I like Avenged Sevenfold and Disturbed. Yes, that's why I said "fairly".