Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommendations for a beginnner drum set.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Recommendations for a beginnner drum set.

Used is definitely a good option. I tried going used before I got my Imperialstar but the used market in my neighborhood is garbage. Everything was either beat to Hell or overpriced. If you can find a good quality used kit, go for it. But if you're going new and want to keep the price down, the Imperialstar really is a great kit. It's solid, sounds good, and comes with good hardware.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

I am still waiting for a coupon to buy my Tama Imperialstar. It seems Tama voluntarily decides to exclude itself from all promotions! Will give myself a couple of weeks or so and then jump in for the retail price...

Anyway, here's a question: My drum teacher is planning on moving from a house to an apartment. So far, he was teaching drums on an acoustic set, but he plans to teach drums on an electronic set in his apartment. Since I plan to buy and practice on an acoustic set, does it make sense for me to learn drums on an electronic set? What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
    dM

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumminMom View Post
    I am still waiting for a coupon to buy my Tama Imperialstar. It seems Tama voluntarily decides to exclude itself from all promotions! Will give myself a couple of weeks or so and then jump in for the retail price...

Anyway, here's a question: My drum teacher is planning on moving from a house to an apartment. So far, he was teaching drums on an acoustic set, but he plans to teach drums on an electronic set in his apartment. Since I plan to buy and practice on an acoustic set, does it make sense for me to learn drums on an electronic set? What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
    dM
    If the Tama items are excluded from promotions that is something new. I had no trouble buying my set with a coupon. If you can't get a discount with the 4th of July sales that are coming, then all hope is lost (in terms of getting a discount).

As for learning on an e-kit, you can certainly do it but if you're in a place where you can play acoustics, go for the acoustics. The problem with e-kits is that they do things like have 2 or 3 zones on each pad, meaning that you can get 2 or 3 different sounds out of it. Doesn't matter how you strike it, if you hit the right spot you'll get the right sound. Acoustic sets are MUCH more dynamic and therefore you learn to have better control over your playing because you need to in order to get the instrument to sound proper. For me, that's the big difference; working with the untamed beast you gotta learn to control it, with the e-kit you can basically just set it to behave itself.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^