Thread: What Is A Snare Bed?

User Info Menu

Default What Is A Snare Bed?

I'm been playing drums for like a year and a half, can tune all my toms and bass beautiful, using the Drum Tuning Bible but am still working on my snare tuning.

What is a snare bed?

User Info Menu

Default Re: What Is A Snare Bed?

Blaque, that is where all snares go at night.

Seriously, the snare bed is where the bearing edge of the resonant side is shaved down a bit, so the snare wires can lie flat against the resonant head.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

PB actually sings a lullaby to his new Black Panther snare before he tucks it into its snare bed...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    PB actually sings a lullaby to his new Black Panther snare before he tucks it into its snare bed...
    Oh yeah, you got that right xsaber! I even give it a little hug!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Matt

User Info Menu

A snare bed is a small recess on the resonant side of the snare drum shell. Most often snares with beds have less chance of your wires hanging, and you can have a "cleaner" sound/response from the drum itself. It's an operation well worth the cost to you to have done, and is argued among some groups as ruining the effect of the bearing edges on the bottom. The term snare bed comes from various types of hospital beds that by original intention, make the person using them lay flat and recover faster. You might say that a snare bed helps your snare wire stay in better working condition, and tune more efficiently as well. The bearing edge argument is a matter of choice, but there's no real evidence supporting the belief that adding a snare bed can ruin the effect of the edges on the reso side of the shell.
    Last edited by Russ; 06-08-2010 at 03:51 AM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Russ, I dont have any knowledge on snare beds, although I hope they are as cumfy as my sleep-to-live bed. On a serious note, I just want to say I enjoy reading your replies, you truly are a very good writer and make reading understandable and also very interesting with your obvious writing skills. You also seem to be a man of patience as well.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by animal View Post
    russ, i dont have any knowledge on snare beds, although i hope they are as cumfy as my sleep-to-live bed. On a serious note, i just want to say i enjoy reading your replies, you truly are a very good writer and make reading understandable and also very interesting with your obvious writing skills. You also seem to be a man of patience as well.
    +1
    Matt

User Info Menu

Also, not every snare will have a snare bed. Most of the good, wood shell ones do though.