Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: life cycle of skins

User Info Menu

Default life cycle of skins

I have a new set {4} Lp gio's. When the weather got humid the first time I had to tighten two of the congas. Now,a month later I have had to tighten all the drums again.{I don't loosen my drums as I play often at different times of day or night}My question is will the drums settle down or keep stretching during the hot weather. Also will they tighten up when the weather gets less humid and cooler. I do not take these drums outside.What is the typical life cycle of wood congas with cowhide skins?

User Info Menu

Default Re: life cycle of skins

I can only share my experiences. I live in a dry climate and once the drums have settled after new skins (last time about 3 months) they remain fairly stable. My drums seems to respond more to pressure changes than humidity so they don't change too often. What do others experience?

User Info Menu

It sounds like you don't want to hear this but I'll say it anyway because others may be reading.

Temperature changes will effect wood and skin. Stress over time will effect the integrity of the shell and the lugs and rim. Properly cared for a good wood drum will last a lifetime and skins can last 20 years. That means some tuning for playing and detuning afterwards. A socket wrench can make the process go easier and faster. Synthetic heads are good for those who aren't willing to go through this process but, contrary to what many say, even synthetic heads need some adjustment - just less.

If you treat your instrument well, it will treat you well in return.

User Info Menu

I live in a place where it’s always damp for the most part (near the coast) so I have my skins adjusted for the climate here but occasionally we get a few nice days and when that happens I’ll make it a point to back off the tension although I believe that if you loosen the lugs when ever your congas are not in use the skins and shells will out last you and me.
    L4C

User Info Menu

I have a new trio of LP Salsa congas that I don't detune. I am still learning the rhythms and put towels over them anyways so I don't really care about tuning them to a certain note/range. I was wondering, if I don't detune them how long do they last? 6 months? 1 year? before I need to get new heads?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sean valdepenas View Post
    I have a new trio of LP Salsa congas that I don't detune. I am still learning the rhythms and put towels over them anyways so I don't really care about tuning them to a certain note/range. I was wondering, if I don't detune them how long do they last? 6 months? 1 year? before I need to get new heads?
    Not sure but you will get more than 6 months, I have had congas that were not detuned for 20 years and the only problem was there was no thread left on the tunning lug so someone added washers. I have had congas that were only 10 years old but someone had them way to tight, the skin ripped and the shell was egg shaped but someone may have tuned it very tight then played it in the hot sun.

User Info Menu

I noticed that on the quinto the skin has sunk down a little from the edges, while the others have not. I loosened the quinto quite a bit. Maybe a Remo head will be better for it...

User Info Menu

Remos don't give, I have seen Lp Matador caved in from Remos but then again thats was from someone overtuning. It will be Ok as long as you don't over tune it and i think your Salsa models are more well built than Matadors. Don't let me scare you bro, I leave my Gio's tune up and I have cow on my quinto which is much stronger than the Lp hand picks but I just make it a point to back off the lugs on a hot day or if I'm not going to play them for a while.
    Last edited by luv4congas; 06-15-2010 at 09:58 PM. Reason: a-dd

User Info Menu

Thanks for your guidance! I keep a towel over them anyways as I learn the rhythms and build strength without busting my hands up, so am not picky about the sound for now. I do notice that with the hotter weather my slaps are 'slappier' on the tighter heads!

I may buy replacement heads if there are any on sale/if prices are low, 'LP handpicks' the best sound for replacement? Am not into synthetic too much really because I have not used them before plus like the authenticity of real skins.

User Info Menu

I purchased my drums new in january. I'm hoping to get 10 years out of the heads. I dred having to pay for replacements.

User Info Menu

FF, they put some pretty good hand picks on Gio's, you'll get 20 years out of them with no problem and as far as ever having to replace a head, it's not the end of the world. That will give you the reason to replace them with a good Cow skin and Gio's sound real sweet with cow!

SV, I understand if you live in a humid area you may need synthetic but I don't, I bought all new Remo Nuskyn's for three of my drums. I installed them and in the same day took them off and sold them, their just not for me.....Hot weather does bring out the killer slaps but if you lose your open tone then you know it's to tight.

User Info Menu

Cow good for all 3 drums, or just for quinto?

If the sound is better, I might was well just get some cow skins then and save the handpicks for later...

thanks for tip about the open tones. I live in SC and yes it does get pretty humid here. My drums are in the office so the AC does keep things under control though.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: life cycle of skins

I have replaced one conga head in some 25 years of playing, and that was partially due to overtuning and partially due to sheer age. The drums themselves have held up well, but the three I've kept at church needed only tuning or detuning when the humidity or temperature went far from the usual; same for the bongos.

The trick is to do it as needed when needed and keep the temps and humidity as consistent as possible, as sean does...

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Cow sounds great on all of them if you can fork out the cash, $50 for the quinto, $60 conga and $70 for the tumba although you have to mount it your self. There are great videos on youtube on how to or I can tell you step by step. I first did it on a cheap old beater drum using a recycled head but once you do it you'll be hooked on re skinning congas, it's a good feeling when your done. I will try to post pics of some of my work.

User Info Menu

So what type of skin do LP Gio's {HAND PICKED} Come with? ,I thought they were cow.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frquent flyer View Post
    So what type of skin do LP Gio's {HAND PICKED} Come with? ,I thought they were cow.
    They come with a very high quality water buffalo skin, the drums are made in Thailand and they don’t have cows there only water buffalo.

User Info Menu

I'll qualify, a little bit, what I said above about the need to tune and detune every time. I play mainly bongos but also a conga set. I believe to get the ideal sounds out of a bongo macho or a quinto you have to crank them up pretty high. When the skins are really tight you can get the high "pops" and slaps and cutting open tones. When you crank them up as high as I do you really do have to detune after playing. If you don't - you don't. IMO, if you don't tune properly there is no need to detune. Yes, tuning is a bit subjective but for macho and quinto you really need them taut - too taut to leave them that way.

Regarding the skins, where I live they use a lot of fish skin, and in some places they use rat skins, and lot of players use mule and horse skins, but I agree that, in most cases, good cow skins are the way to go for the best sounds, different thickness for different drums. I don't like the way LP stock skins sound - except maybe on a tumba. But - there is no general agreement on this - live and learn.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PsyAbi View Post
    But - there is no general agreement on this - live and learn.
    I totally agree..... although I think sometimes water buffalo (Hand Picks) get a bad rap. They say their ringy and they can be but I have came across some that were very good, warm with gun shot slaps. I put hand picks on Lp fiberglass original Park Palisades from the 70s and they sound better than the cow that were on them. I shure would like to hear what Rat sounds like

User Info Menu

I was wondering why my tumba and conga kinda sound like a basketball. No, seriously, when you bounce a basketball you can hear air reverb inside it when it comes up from the ground. This must be the 'ringy' sound that I hear reference to with my drums. It is subtle, but there!

Question: If I wanted new skins do I have to destroy the skins currently on the conga now?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sean valdepenas View Post
    I was wondering why my tumba and conga kinda sound like a basketball. No, seriously, when you bounce a basketball you can hear air reverb inside it when it comes up from the ground. This must be the 'ringy' sound that I hear reference to with my drums. It is subtle, but there!

Question: If I wanted new skins do I have to destroy the skins currently on the conga now?
    Well, you will need the flesh whoop inside the skin so I guess the answer is yes. Although I always save the old skin say from a tumba and if I come across a conga that needs a skin I’ll “recycle” the tumba skin and do the same with a conga to a quinto. When you buy a cow or mule skin it comes in a flat round, for a conga it will be 20” in diameter. You’ll soak your old head and the new skin in the tub filled with cold water, just enough to cover the skins. After 5 to 8 hours you pull the flesh whoop out of the old head and place it on top of the new flat skin, fold the sides over and put the rim on top, slip the skin inside the rim and place all of that on the conga. I can go into more detail but I’m not sure if you wanted all this. Let me know if needed then I’ll keep going.
    L4C

User Info Menu

Thanks! I saw a video from LP on how to do this with both traditional hoops and the comfort curves.

IYO is it worth the effort to changes the heads now? I mean, I am still learning rhythms, slaps, building speed, endurance etc. But what keeps me going is the quality of sound. Same issue I have with the bongos, don't want to lose steam with enthusiasm if the sound stinks.

I am leaning towards waiting, but don't know if the economy situation will create an inflationary effect as the 'experts' predict, then things that I want to eventually get (like a requinto, quality skins, cowbells etc) may go up in price. That is why I was asking if I can reuse the old skins. Just a minor decision I need to make, really...

BTW I can tell you check this site alot!

User Info Menu

Sean,
    you can get extra hoops for your drums; so you can keep the existing skins already mounted and have your new heads as well.

User Info Menu

I'd keep em and Bongobill is right you can always get extra hoops.
    By the way S.V. do you play your drums on carpet? Carpet will really make congas ringy. Click on my page and you can see on one of my pics my drums on a piece of plywood on top of the carpet. It makes a big difference.

User Info Menu

No, I use the LP conga rubber feet over my hardwood floors. It doesn't really bother me, the ringiness is mild and it doesn't take away from the sound. When I change the heads I will see how much that is affected!

BTW before I go taking apart the rim, couldnt see any hoop replacements on the LP website or on various retailer sites. Do I need to replace the rim as well, or is there a replaceable hoop underneath it?

User Info Menu

Finding hoops for congas should be easy. Search "hoops for congas" in Google. It is on page one.
    cat