Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: life cycle of skins

User Info Menu

Cool Re: life cycle of skins

Quote Originally Posted by sean valdepenas View Post
    No, I use the LP conga rubber feet over my hardwood floors. It doesn't really bother me, the ringiness is mild and it doesn't take away from the sound...
    I've used the rubber feet on hardwood, tile, and even lightly carpeted floors and they work well. Not much of a ring problem (a lot of it depends on the size of the space, too). I'm using them on my church set and while they ring a bit during rehearsal, the sheer number of people who attend our Masses absorb a good part of the ringing...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Default Re: life cycle of skins

Thanks! Will see if I can order hoops and new skins and try to make my own replacement!

User Info Menu

Still have not been able to find just the hoops on any site. Especially those for LP salsa conga size. Are they interchangeable with other brands (I see Evans)?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by luv4congas View Post
    I live in a place where it’s always damp for the most part (near the coast) so I have my skins adjusted for the climate here but occasionally we get a few nice days and when that happens I’ll make it a point to back off the tension although I believe that if you loosen the lugs when ever your congas are not in use the skins and shells will out last you and me.
    L4C
    I agree w/ detunning skins so they are not constantly under tension which does break down the fibers of a skin and causes them to stretch & softens the tone. High tension will also stress the drum shell & tunning hardwares ! Correct even tensioning of the heads & de tunning when not in use will add years to the heads & help keep the rest of the drum from damage. U dont have to detune untill the heads are slack...but only untill they sound like a medium toned tom tom. I also advise u use wax on the bearing edge of the drum ( under the skin ) to act as a bearing edge lubricant to help the head travel as u tune it. Never tune up the head if it is damp / wet because the fibers of the skin can tear easily if not DRY and stiff. Asian Water Buffalo skins are grainy and dry and lack the tone & longevity of young cow skins. I will never buy Asian made Congas & Bongos w/ those heads because i feel ripped off. I have tucked my own heads since 1972...so I have spoiled myself. My bongo heads last years....not just months ( I play regularly ).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sean valdepenas View Post
    I noticed that on the quinto the skin has sunk down a little from the edges, while the others have not. I loosened the quinto quite a bit. Maybe a Remo head will be better for it...
    Problem is...plastic heads...sound plastic & have overtones that ring. The conga sounds more like a djembe ! If U use plastic heads one one drum...the others sound out of balance so all drums should have same type of head material to sound balanced as a set. Rawhides are BEST for full ranged authentic tones, and Asian Water Buffalo heads are kinda dry and lack warmer tones compared to Cow or Steer hides. I prefer 2 mid sized congas & 1 tumba. I seldom use a quinto unless it is being tunned as a high pitched Quinto is designed for ~ roughly 5 notes above my lead conga. 2 same sized congas actualy are better for tunning range and for balanced melodic fulness while they also share the same head sizes, I use the best head for a lead drum & recycle the older & warmer heads for the 2 nd drum ( segundo ). I only detune my high pitched quinto & the smaler of the bongo drums, And I slightly detune my lead conga to sound like my secong drum...to a mid tension, to preserve the head & my drums hardwares & shells. * Why abuse your instrument by not detunning the tension ??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frquent flyer View Post
    So what type of skin do LP Gio's {HAND PICKED} Come with? ,I thought they were cow.
    ALL LP heads say hand picked ! Its a sales ploy ! The weight of the head ( thickness ) and the less obvious stretch marks are the key to a good drum sound. Modern drummers are getting used to the thinner heads w/ lots of ugly over tones ( simular to thin plastic heads ) but a medium weight head produces an authentic colorful tone & slighly thicker for the larger tumbas. Just because it says hand picked...or say GIOvanni's name...does not mean SQUAT ! Its all just marketing hype ! LP Gios and Paladiums are so dense & thick that they drown out the drum shell resonance, The difference between Gios model & the LP Galaxy model is the crown / head width which is wider than orig. LP sizes. This is more like Toca brand head sizes. Tocas usualy are medium to thick heads compared to LP's thin to medium heads ( all are Asian Water Buffalo hides...like the ones u see for dog chew toys at pet stores. ) The heads are selected more for cosmetic reasons and for easier mounting to the molds that the skins dry on. IF u bother to learn to tuck your own heads & stretch them evenly all around the drums circumference while its wet...it will dry more uniformly & actualy sound better than pre mounted heads. NOW...using better hides from a more appropriate animal species such as COW, will add to the tonal fullness of your drum & COW tends to retain more natural oils that add tone and elasticity to the head. It vibrates differently, it feels different on the hands and I like the idea of buying hides from Latin American sources / farmers not rendering plants, since Latin Drums are relative to thier culture. Whats Asia got to do w/ Latin Drums !? Cheap Labor corporation BS is all !?

User Info Menu

Thanks! I do detune just the quinto now by 2 turns on all lugs. Actually I rarely tune it right while I am still learning the afrocuban rhythms, since I am still working on patterns anyways, and sometimes with a towel over it as well! Once in a while I will tune it up to make sure I am getting the correct sound. Good idea?

User Info Menu

Actually hoops are no longer available by themselves according to a webretailer. He is going to check his inventory to see if I can just buy 3 hoops individuallly. I may need to destroy my handpicked LP skins that came with the drums in order to replace with either mule or cow. Oh well, if I have to, I have to!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frquent flyer View Post
    I have a new set {4} Lp gio's. When the weather got humid the first time I had to tighten two of the congas. Now,a month later I have had to tighten all the drums again.{I don't loosen my drums as I play often at different times of day or night}My question is will the drums settle down or keep stretching during the hot weather. Also will they tighten up when the weather gets less humid and cooler. I do not take these drums outside.What is the typical life cycle of wood congas with cowhide skins?
    Skins are poreous and affected by humidity & heat / cold etc. You must learn to adjust to the conditions & de tunne the lead drum when not being played. Removing tension is good for heads & drum shells. If u do not want to be so attentive to your drums...plastic heads may be for you.