Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stage presence

User Info Menu

Default stage presence

i watched a video of my band playing live, and i saw that i look very very boring to watch while im playing, and i am always making very akward facial expressions

i dont really know what i should do for good stage presence
    Pearl Vision VX jet black
    Aquarian heads (Focus-X, Performance IIs, Super Kick II)
    Pearl Free Floating Maple Snare
    Vic-Firth 5B
    Pearl Eliminators
    Roc N Soc throne

14" Paiste Signature sound edge hi-hats
    16" Paiste Signature full crash
    18" Paiste Signature full crash
    20" Zildjian K custom dark ride
    20" Paiste RUDE china

In bands: Frame of Mind, and Become The Catalyst

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Frame-...7982037?ref=ts

User Info Menu

Default Re: stage presence

Move around more, move to the music (sway, headbang, nod your head, use big movements)
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Just pull up one of the ten Rick K. and the Allnighters threads...that'll teach you something about stage presence!

Seriously...I wouldn't worry to much about it. Better to look boring and play well than look crazy-awesome but play terribly. But try making more exaggerated movements...basically everything Xweasel said.
    Matt

User Info Menu

I dont know if this is stage presence but I was definetly having some fun lol

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S-2_8m-sHw"]YouTube- Set The Sails!-Midnight Anthem[/ame]
    A set of Exports and paiste's
    Add My Band! www.myspace.com/setthesails0

User Info Menu

Loosen up, lighten up, be active!

For one I play dance therefore get them drums dancing and guess what, you'll find your dancing along with them. So what'da'ya'do? Get down with your bad self and get'em drums singing. When the peoples stepping and grin'in you got'er going on.

But also you being a young'in, that there stage fright might be an issue.
    You need to know every move your going to make in just about every song and know you can do it, with "strong conviction".

Then when you jump up there you can just reach in pull your heart out throw it out there and tell yourself, I am who I am & watch this!

Might sound kinda rough but we (our group/'s) were off to a rocky start a few times with young'in's in the bands and after the first set I'll be wondering what I to say and since I know this works from the power within me, I give this service speech with a grin and enthusiasm. Some how after a couple songs in the second set I get looked at and hear a wow thanks Doc I needed that and things are great from then on.

Your the drummer, the worker, you exert more power then the rest. You find that power, then you can loosen up, lighten up and be active.
    Pastor Bob might know what I'm talking about here...
    Play to win my friend, and make sure you see you won in the eyes of others not that of your own, then truly you've won...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cuz Doc drummer View Post

Your the drummer, the worker, you exert more power then the rest. You find that power, then you can loosen up, lighten up and be active.
    You are right CDd. The more prepared you are, the more confident you will be, and that confidence will show as stage presence. Will you have stage fright? Probably, because most people do, but the more you do it, the more you learn to cope with it - and it fades, for most people.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

dont wear black

User Info Menu

I hate it when I get into the groove and loosen up and do everything to emit a "stage presence" but the rest of my band members are frozen solid!
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Andreeew View Post
    I hate it when I get into the groove and loosen up and do everything to emit a "stage presence" but the rest of my band members are frozen solid!
    lmao... My old buddy bass player, played with his back to the people for a long time, months...

I think he was frightened...
    Play to win my friend, and make sure you see you won in the eyes of others not that of your own, then truly you've won...

User Info Menu

heres a suggestion check out on youtube the videos for you keep me hangin on by vanilla fudge. check out carmine appices act
    or the young rascals song good lovin thats dino danelli. if you can look for the videos of those songs from the ed sullivan show. might give you some ideas

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SEAN8293 View Post
    i watched a video of my band playing live, and i saw that i look very very boring to watch while im playing, and i am always making very akward facial expressions

i dont really know what i should do for good stage presence
    Smile...even if you are nervous, force a smile....when you do, you'll notice the smile on your face will transcend down into your playing. Pick a focal point out in the audience, look down the center of the "crowd", look to the left and look to the right as you build the groove. Spread your smile across the entire front of the stage. Smile at fellow bandmates and I bet you'll get a smirk from one of them. Most important of all...look like you're having a good time!

As far as stage presense...I wear the darkest pair of shades I could find and wear them when I play out....even on a dark stage. Why? Well, someone once told me that musicians need to build mystic and I'm one who needs as much help as I can get to look "mystic". If I'm gazing off stage in a trance, the shades helps to hide my "spaced-out" look lol...
    Last edited by late8; 06-09-2010 at 03:26 PM.

User Info Menu

shades8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    shades8
    .....lol corrected

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    Just pull up one of the ten Rick K. and the Allnighters threads...that'll teach you something about stage presence!
    HA!
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

Fullstop Guest

I'm an exhibitionist by nature. I love making people laugh, jumping around and acting a fool.

When I drum, I'm "monkey arming" and getting my whole body into it. During a drum break right after the bridge as the guitarist starts riffing before we come back in, I leap up and swing my arm over my head (also use it as a counting measure) and then jump down and "slam" on everything as we come back in. (It looks like you're killing your kit, but it's not...)

I usually like to do the stick point with my snare hand in between hits.

During a long drum break one time I hopped up from behind my kit and ran out into the crowd and got them going, ran back up onstage and started jogging backwards around our bass player while talking crap, telling him he likes to do things with goats that shouldn't be done.

It's all about having fun. Take the fun your having deep within your heart and let it flow to your sticks.

User Info Menu

move your arms really high..stand up and play big back beats..get big hair and neon clothes and you'll be money......oh and kick your kick when you're done with it..

User Info Menu

I turn my kit sideways, a la Night Ranger. It really adds to the visual of your show!
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cuz Doc drummer View Post

For one I play dance therefore get them drums dancing and guess what, you'll find your dancing along with them. So what'da'ya'do? Get down with your bad self and get'em drums singing. When the peoples stepping and grin'in you got'er going on.

But also you being a young'in, that there stage fright might be an issue.
    You need to know every move your going to make in just about every song and know you can do it, with "strong conviction".

Then when you jump up there you can just reach in pull your heart out throw it out there and tell yourself, I am who I am & watch this!

Might sound kinda rough but we (our group/'s) were off to a rocky start a few times with young'in's in the bands and after the first set I'll be wondering what I to say and since I know this works from the power within me, I give this service speech with a grin and enthusiasm. Some how after a couple songs in the second set I get looked at and hear a wow thanks Doc I needed that and things are great from then on.

Exactly.

You need to remember when your playing live people are there to be entertained. Interact with the crowd, dont be afraid to make a mistake, dont be afraid to look a little goofy on stage. If they just wanted to listen to the music, they would stay home and listen to the cd.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Andreeew View Post
    I hear that! But ive learned not to care im gonna get into it regardless.
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

I think playing tight and solid is more important but lately ive been trying to add in some flash with stick twirls and behind the head on the backbeat thing. I usually practice it to a song or two and make sure i can do it while staying solid in the groove before i do it live at a gig.
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

Just remember that if you guys are going to do any major movements (such as jumping before a chorus, swaying, headbanging, etc...) make sure it's synchronized and on-time. Yes, this means practice your stage presence together.
    Don't forget that drummers can pretty much do whatever without worrying about synchronized stage presence.
    Off-Topic dweller.
    I use the right side of my sig, yes.
    I am member no. 7196! You?
    PDP Platinum Series drums
    Sizes:
    - 22" x 18" bass drum
    - 10" x 8" rack tom
    - 12" x 9" rack tom
    - 14" x 12" floor tom
    - 6" x 14" snare drum
    ...and throw in some Zildjian A's in there.

User Info Menu

thank you for the suggestions, i used them for the gig i played 2 weeks ago. I headbanged, stood up occsionally, spun my sticks, raised my cymbals higher. I also sounded better with higher cymbals becuase it forces me to hit high and hard, and it also looks cooler
    Pearl Vision VX jet black
    Aquarian heads (Focus-X, Performance IIs, Super Kick II)
    Pearl Free Floating Maple Snare
    Vic-Firth 5B
    Pearl Eliminators
    Roc N Soc throne

14" Paiste Signature sound edge hi-hats
    16" Paiste Signature full crash
    18" Paiste Signature full crash
    20" Zildjian K custom dark ride
    20" Paiste RUDE china

In bands: Frame of Mind, and Become The Catalyst

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Frame-...7982037?ref=ts

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SEAN8293 View Post
    thank you for the suggestions, i used them for the gig i played 2 weeks ago. I headbanged, stood up occsionally, spun my sticks, raised my cymbals higher. I also sounded better with higher cymbals becuase it forces me to hit high and hard, and it also looks cooler
    So, did you get the chicks?...because all this fancy stage presence stuff is moot if they don't dig it .... :-)

User Info Menu

Just enjoy the music and have fun. When you're most at ease and when it's the most fun, you will almost unconciously emit a stage presence. The best part about this is because we're the drummer, once we start enjoying it the rest of the band starts enjoying it. Hopefully.

User Info Menu

[The best part about this is because we're the drummer, once we start enjoying it the rest of the band starts enjoying it. Hopefully.[/QUOTE]

Unless the drummer is a lousy one
    TAMAHOLIC