Thread: Ekits and real cymbals?

User Info Menu

Default Ekits and real cymbals?

Ive been pondering on this for months now and I would really like to do it. Is it practical though? I would probably be gigging like this with the band. Is this going to look weird or make a difference than an acoustic kit and cymbals?
    How many of you have ekits will real cymbals? I'm getting sick of hitting the rubber pads on my DTX and I was just seeking out if any of you have real cymbals with your ekits and how you liked the feel and playability out of it.
    Yamaha DTXplorer.
    YAMAHA-VIC FIRTH-AGAZARIAN-SOUND PERCUSSION

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ekits and real cymbals?

Sounds to me like you need to convert an acoustic set including the cymbals !! You can convert brass cymbals or buy them ! There are a few companies that sell them . I like the rubber cymbals because they are the quietest for playing at home but , for gigging where the cymbal "strike" sound will be unheard the brass converted cymbals would be great !!
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

I, personally, am not a fan of the "converted" cymbals. I've played using the Alesis Surge cymbals, which are brass cymbals converted to e-triggers, and I hate those things. They are clunky and loud and sound like you're hitting plastic. I'd much rather have rubber cymbals.

As for gigging with an e-kit and real cymbals, it can work. Some people use triggers on their drums anyway, so you'd just be using a rubber pad to trigger the sound as opposed to the little mechanism that sits on the real drum. Will you look as cool with an e-kit as you do with an acoustic? Probably not. But the end result of sound will be the same (if you were planning to use triggers anyway).
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DLDante View Post
    I, personally, am not a fan of the "converted" cymbals. I've played using the Alesis Surge cymbals, which are brass cymbals converted to e-triggers, and I hate those things. They are clunky and loud and sound like you're hitting plastic. I'd much rather have rubber cymbals.

As for gigging with an e-kit and real cymbals, it can work. Some people use triggers on their drums anyway, so you'd just be using a rubber pad to trigger the sound as opposed to the little mechanism that sits on the real drum. Will you look as cool with an e-kit as you do with an acoustic? Probably not. But the end result of sound will be the same (if you were planning to use triggers anyway).
    I agree with ya !! It's all about the looks to me with the diy drums !
    E Drums !! !

User Info Menu

I'd love an acoustic set, but living in a town house sucks. Hence why I have an electronic kit. I have a real splash with my ekit right now and it sounds cool. i am going to head to my friends house one day and throw his cymbals in front of mine and see how it looks and sounds before I go and spend the cash.
    Yamaha DTXplorer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by YamahaDTX View Post
    I'd love an acoustic set, but living in a town house sucks. Hence why I have an electronic kit. I have a real splash with my ekit right now and it sounds cool. i am going to head to my friends house one day and throw his cymbals in front of mine and see how it looks and sounds before I go and spend the cash.
    So what's your plan then? Buy cymbals just for shows? If you can't play acoustic drums in your townhouse, cymbals aren't going to go over well either. A splash is one thing, but you get yourself a nice brilliant crash and your neighbors will think you broke a window.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Yeah I was going to play the real cymbals with my drums at other band members house for practice and when we play live. I wasnt going to use them at home. Landlord, neighbors and family would all kill me. haha
    Yamaha DTXplorer.

User Info Menu

Are you going to intergrate a mixer or PA head with the e-kit, and mic the real cymbals so you can get an equal mix so they both blend into each other? That would really sound good if you can get a good blend between what's real (cymbals) and what's fake (ekit).

User Info Menu

Yeah I'll be plug her into a PA system and play that way through speakers and then i'll mic the cymbals so it all matches up together.
    Yamaha DTXplorer.

User Info Menu

Here Ya go . They do work when setup right !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=cK_I...eature=related
    E Drums !! !

User Info Menu

I could see myself with an e-kit but a real hi hat. Played real hats so long, I guess I am just more used to the feel and response. I think e-kits and real cymbals would be no problem.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Yes, hi-hats have been an issue with e-kits, and the high-end e-hi-hats are very expensive. @2slow--thanks for posting that---great vid and sound.
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

i like th vh 11 roland hh but it is still not quite there. Maybe within a few years !
    E Drums !! !

User Info Menu

I'm not talking about DIY drums. I'm talking about taking my DTXPlorer, and adding stands and cymbals around it. Run the drums through a PA/Mixer and mic the cymbals for a live show.
    Yamaha DTXplorer.

User Info Menu

I'm not talking about DIY drums. I'm talking about taking my DTXPlorer, and adding stands and cymbals around it. Run the drums through a PA/Mixer and mic the cymbals for a live show.
    Should be no problem !! We want a video of that setup !!
    E Drums !! !

User Info Menu

Back in the mid 80's I played a Simmons SDS7 E-kit. Back then I don't even think they had Cymbal sounds on E-kits yet so I used my Zildjians, it worked fine.

User Info Menu

You know what would be awesome? Pearl's E-Pro Live, but instead of their cymbals, put in real ones! Electric/Acoustic Kit!
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

i just tried this tonight. i played a dtxplorer with a set of zildjian new beat hi-hats. and a zildgian 21" rock ride. To me the hi-hat was not to bad but the ride was way to loud and hard to keep in control. This could be because of the ride cymbal itself. The e-kit sounded like a well miked drums but the hi-hat and ride was loud and a little rough sounding to me. When i play my acoustic kit at home i use shooting range ear muffs and every thing sounds great. The muffs kind of takes the sharp edges off of my kit and makes it sound real fat and deep and the cymbals have a nice attack without being to overbearing. I think to blend the cymbals with the e-kit i would have to mike the cymbals and play with the mix. Thanks 2-slow for the vid. the sound of that kit was great and sounded like things were mixed together for a great sound.

User Info Menu

Two words, guys: Rick. Allen.
    Def Leppard's one-armed monster drummer. He has used all real cymbals with electronic drums ever since he lost his arm. Of course we are talking about a professional here, but if it works for him, it should work for you. His kit is the definition of a "hybrid kit" as he has real cymbals, acoustic drums, electric drums, and a whole lot of electric pedals. If you look up "behind the scenes with rick allen" on youtube, you'll get an idea of how his kit works. I'd post the link, but i havent quite figured out how. Hope this helped.
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

For Sure!

Why not?

all the best...