Thread: Old dog, new tricks.

User Info Menu

Cool Old dog, new tricks.

I have been increasingly desiring to be involved in a drumline. Just for my entertainment I posted a (Need help with rudiments) thread on a local site and the only response I recieved was from one the drumline director of 15 yrs for one of the three colleges we have in the area. He is willing to give me lessons for $10 per half hour, which I gladly excepted. After missing out on the band experiance in my youth(lack of music program funding) I am exstatic to start on a fresh square to these rudiments and the joy of playing them. I hope to have a new PC(with audio) in a few months and hope to post my progress. Stoked! F/T
    Last edited by fumbled time; 06-16-2010 at 06:05 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Old dog, new tricks.

Good luck!
    I'm trying to master these rudiments myself at the moment. It does take some patience. Progress is slow, but there is progress.

Looking forward to seeing your videos! Maybe I'll learn something from them.
    Erik

User Info Menu

That's awesome, FT! Congrats.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Very exciting FT! This is an important decision and I commend you for it. Wait until you see the world it will open up for you. You won't believe it!

User Info Menu

Good to see ya post again FT.........congrats and have fun with it, keep us posted on how it goes too.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

I am very happy to see you do this. Probably more so than any one else here on the forum. What I suggest you do is grab yourself a beatnik. It will definately change the way you do paradiddles, 16s, triplets, sextets, everything. What I have been taught is when you do diddles, use a little bit of arm to drive it, and use your wrist for the rest. Good luck
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Thanks for the encouragment fella's! I will take the advice given here as chalked up experiances from the gang at D/C.com.

S&S it just takes time and patients. and a little tutoring doesn't hurt.

Thanks Yohin, it means alot.

Drummer you are to right in your say "you wont believe it!" I'm already there.
    I had been brought to tears trying to make sense of ruds, better yet how to make them sound good. With the freindship and help of D/C I made it through(Scallpol please).

Thanks G/F, I have been so busy on the farm not much time for the web(still time for ruds though)!

C/B I am appreciative of the for knowledge of such techniques, and encouragment. I intend on researching everything suggested.

I have been practicing ruds forward and backward on both my feet(dbl pdl) as well as my hands, slow with a metronome. Today is the first lesson, woohoo!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fumbled time View Post
    I have been practicing ruds forward and backward on both my feet(dbl pdl) as well as my hands, slow with a metronome. Today is the first lesson, woohoo!
    Good. You're already off to a better start than I had. My drumline instructor once said "Even though you can tackle an exercise at 175 bpm, when we bring it down all of a sudden to 115, you still rush it" and it's true. We constantly rushed. I've missed 2 of my drumline sessions but we finally found a way for me to go back
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Had a blast at my lesson! Great instructor. We where doing 1/8 notes in sets of 8, 8 righthand, and 16 lefthand(weaker hand). We started at 100 bpm and increased it 8 bpms after 8 counts of 8. We made it all the way to 240 bpm's and it was a challenge to keep my wrist moving. They we're like spaghetti after that exercise. This is to much fun! F/T

User Info Menu

Well, good luck to you. Here is a simple pattern that you should be able to master in a week or two. Starts at about 1 min. in though.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JFkNtRdVbU&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JFkNtRdVbU&feature=related[/ame]

And here is what happens when you take rudimental percussion and make music. This is taken from the great American composer, Aaron Copland's Ballet for Martha, later to become known as Appalachian Spring. Of course, when performed, there is a full brass hornline as well.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8fXl0Srl94&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8fXl0Srl94&feature=related[/ame]

User Info Menu

Man, Im wish I had audio to hear those vids. I will have to check them out on someone elses PC. Thanks for the vid Xsabers.

User Info Menu

I get to my lesson tonite to find that I can attened all week for free fro 6 pm til when ever. It is a pre season workshop my teacher puts on. So tonite I was playing a marching snare with three other snares and a tenor player. I belive I just had the time of my life, even though I missed half the stikes. I hope to make it to the last 3. F/T

dave0549jv Guest

man, it sounds like a ton of fun! glad you're enjoying yourself!