Thread: Beginning drummer looking for snare

User Info Menu

Default Beginning drummer looking for snare

What's a good, inexpensive (if there is such a thing) snare for a first "real" drum until I can afford a kit? Looked on ...; they have a "starter" snare "kit" for $100, drum+stand+sticks, (chrome 14"). I'm thinking maybe nobody here would buy this one. At ... I found a Pearl Forum Poplar 14" snare for $120, then add their $40 stand and you have $160 snare kit. I'm with you guys, in favor of the wood. My question is, is the Pearl, this one in particular, a good "solid" drum, and is the stand a good one? I'll admit I'm a cheapo, but I want to start somewhere, and the snare seems like the way to go right now. What'ya think? Any and all advice is welcome. I looked through the Hardware/Gear/Equipment stuff but didn't see anywhere that my question was answered, so I thought I'd start a new thread.
    Much grass,
    Don

User Info Menu

Buy a used one Don. Try a ludwig acrolite, or almost anything by Pearl, Tama, or Yamaha. You can probably find a decent starter snare for $40-50 on Ebay. You may find someone with a kit like the one you saw used, and be ahead several $$. If you buy a brand name used, it will actually have some value if you want to sell it later. That thing at zZounds is basically a throwaway. I would never buy new unless I was buying high end.

User Info Menu

good call on the acrolite, always avail. and cheep on ebay. and a nice sounding drum.
    if you can spend up to 200 you can do even better. i would def go with maple or birch if you want a wood drum.

User Info Menu

I second the good call on the acrolite. You can find vintage Ludwig Acrolites on ebay for under $100.00 usd. I still use an acrolite in my setup, a great sounding snare.. Cant beat the price either
    PLEASE PLAY RESPONSIBLY.... DON'T DRINK AND DRUM!!

My Kit: Vintage Ludwig Classic Maple 26 kick 14, 16, 18 toms, Paiste 2002 Cymbals, Paiste Giant Beat 15" Hats

User Info Menu

i own one, used it for MANY years. its been on loan for a couple years now. bout time my brother in law bought his own.

User Info Menu

My #1 snare for many years was a Pearl Maxwin chrome-ish in 5x14. Ive got a COB Ludwig from 66, I still miss the maxwin. Not better, just different.

User Info Menu

i hear ludwig supraphonics are nice

User Info Menu

Supra phonics are AWESOME!!! but very pricey for a starter snare... ($500 + usd)
    PLEASE PLAY RESPONSIBLY.... DON'T DRINK AND DRUM!!

My Kit: Vintage Ludwig Classic Maple 26 kick 14, 16, 18 toms, Paiste 2002 Cymbals, Paiste Giant Beat 15" Hats

User Info Menu

eBAY is your friend in cases like this. I actually had this same idea before i bought my set. I came close to buying a pacific 805 series snare. (150$) little bit expensive, but i found a butt load of snares on eBAY ranging from 40$-200$, i think you'll find something to your liking. You can buy a new snare stand for pretty cheap, so im not sure eBAY would help you much there, after shipping and all that you'd probably be able to pick up a new stand for around the same price, maybe 10$ more, if that. As far as the snare its up to you, i'd try to find a maple or birch wood snare. Even mahogany would do fine for ya, sure in the picking order of things mahogany is like the 5th wood down, but if you're just tryin to get a feel for it that'd work great.

User Info Menu

Default ludwig

i got a ludwig brass for 150 and its pretty nice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Circa View Post
    In the picking order of things mahogany is like the 5th wood down
    Not necessarily, it depends on what kind of Mahogany you are talking about, and even at that, it depends on other peoples opinions too...
    African Mahogany, in my opinion, is the nicest sounding wood drum in the Pearl Masters series, I think this cos i tried all of them, and I preferred that one.
    I Shall Never be caught, you will never obtain my Weapons of Mass Percussion, MWA HA HA HA HA!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FORLEXIE View Post
    What's a good, inexpensive (if there is such a thing) snare for a first "real" drum until I can afford a kit? Looked on ...; they have a "starter" snare "kit" for $100, drum+stand+sticks, (chrome 14"). I'm thinking maybe nobody here would buy this one. At ...I found a Pearl Forum Poplar 14" snare for $120, then add their $40 stand and you have $160 snare kit. I'm with you guys, in favor of the wood. My question is, is the Pearl, this one in particular, a good "solid" drum, and is the stand a good one? I'll admit I'm a cheapo, but I want to start somewhere, and the snare seems like the way to go right now. What'ya think? Any and all advice is welcome. I looked through the Hardware/Gear/Equipment stuff but didn't see anywhere that my question was answered, so I thought I'd start a new thread.
    Much grass,
    Don
    I have a gorgeous DW Pacific SXE snare for sale, I would sell it to you for $250 with free shipping, here is a picture of it, let me know.