Thread: Tuning for DW Collector's Series? First Post!

User Info Menu

Default Tuning for DW Collector's Series? First Post!

Hello,

I just joined and this is my first post! Finally some people who can talk drums, unlike ALL my friends who play guitar and know nothing.

I have, for the last 15 years, been playing an old 80s model Pearl kit that I got the first day of drum lessons in 1995. Over the years I have acquired nice cymbals (Zildjian A, Zildjian A Custom, Zildjian Z Custom) and eventually the value of my cymbals eclipsed the value of my drums by 3 or 4 times. I looked around for the past couple of months for a kit and eventually settled on the perfect one.

After 15 years of drumming I FINALLY have my dream kit!

I finally bit the bullet and purchased a used 5 piece DW Collector's Series kit in Champagne Sparkle and 8 ply maple. A Mapex black panther snare in maple came with the kit too.

They are literally the best sounding drums I have ever played.

They came with evans g1 on resonant side and g2s on the batter. The kick has an EMAD2.

Anyway I'll get to the point...

My question is how do I take the note stamped inside the shell into account when tuning them? I generally like a tight feel and punchy sound.

What kind of kits do you guys have?

Thanks!

Zac

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tuning for DW Collector's Series? First Post!

Welcome to drumchat DWWareagle! post pics of your kit
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat DWWarEagle!

The note that is stamped inside each shell is the fundamental note of each shell. One method of tuning each shell would be to play the note on a piano or keyboard, and then tune the drum to that note. On the other hand, you could simply go finger tight on the tension rods, then gradually tune up until you find that "sweet spot," using you ears to tell you when you're there. It may, or may not get you right on the fundamental note of the shell, but it will sound good.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Helllo! welcome from Lincoln! sadly, I am not lucky enough to have purcased a DW, but I am lucky enough to have visited your citys drum center, AWESOME! isn't it ?! !

Welcome man, Alex Goodwin

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

User Info Menu

You don't have to stick to it. My DWs are tuned to where I like them...I am not sure how close I actually am to the note.

Welcome to DC, we need pics.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice! Photos coming soon!

User Info Menu

Welcome DWWarEagle!

Sure you have already examined the DW site FAQ below.

As you can see, they recommend both heads same pitch. They also have the approach of "tune until head 'hums'" (yeah, I know, easier said than done). Tuning to the note stamped in the drum is an interesting start. I did that and found that they were tuned too low (near wrinkle). Not being afraid to experiment a bit and search about finding the sound/pitch that you believe is best, is the way to go. First time takes a lot of tweaking, but after you find the best, something like a drum dial (measures drum head tension) can help you find where that pitch is and mark it for future reference/retune.
    \I tend not to use the drum dial more than a way to get near where I want to be, or a way to see where I arrived and mark it for future reference.

Look forward to the pics!

Tuning Your DW Drums:
    At DW, we tune both heads to the same pitch. We recommend using single ply heads to achieve the maximum resonance. To begin, place the drum on a carpeted floor or on a towel over a table. Start with the bottom head making sure it is seated evenly with the tension rods finger tight. As you tap lightly on the head at each tension rod (about an inch in from the counterhoop), slowly tighten them. It works well if you start at a specific T-rod then move across the drum to the opposite one - then move two over - then across - and so on. Bring the tone up a little each time you go around the drum. To eliminate some overtones place your finger lightly on the center of the drumhead as you tap. Go to every other tension rod to fine-tune it, from one to the next. In the end, the pitch should be the same at each rod. What pitch that will be is up to you. The drum will hum once the shell's fundamental pitch is found with a sound similar to tuning a guitar by playing harmonic notes. When you're satisfied with that, flip the drum over and do the same on the top head. Be patient and don't be afraid to experiment. You can always try again. For a great pitch-bend, tune the bottom head down just a little. For the bass drum, tune the heads as loosely as possible - just enough to eliminate any wrinkles. Use the same tuning pattern above to achieve an equal pitch at each tension rod.
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tadman View Post
    Welcome DWWarEagle!

I tend not to use the drum dial more than a way to get near where I want to be, or a way to see where I arrived and mark it for future reference.
    I do the exact same thing with mine. I used a drum dial to zero in quickly and then fine tune by ear.

DWWarEagle: As far as tuning them to the notes of the shell, I never do that. Just tune them up to what sounds good to you!

Oh, and welcome to the DW family!
    DW Collector's Series ~ Zildjian cymbals

User Info Menu

i tune the resos tight and the batters loose
    Pearl Vision VX jet black
    Aquarian heads (Focus-X, Performance IIs, Super Kick II)
    Pearl Free Floating Maple Snare
    Vic-Firth 5B
    Pearl Eliminators
    Roc N Soc throne

14" Paiste Signature sound edge hi-hats
    16" Paiste Signature full crash
    18" Paiste Signature full crash
    20" Zildjian K custom dark ride
    20" Paiste RUDE china

In bands: Frame of Mind, and Become The Catalyst

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Frame-...7982037?ref=ts

User Info Menu

Same here reso tight and batters loose. The difference of about 1 turn from the top.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tadman View Post
    Look forward to the pics!
    Welcome DWWE! Sounds like an awesome kit. Oh, and what Tadman said. We like pics here!

User Info Menu

Auburn alumni?