Thread: Questions on my hats

User Info Menu

Default Questions on my hats

I've had these same hats for about a year and a half, Paiste PST-3, and have been having this problem for almost half the time. After like 15 minutes of playing the tightening ring underneath the top hat get's really loose and it just falls on top of the bottom hat... Leaving me to stop playing, take off my hat trick, remove the hat, tighten the thing again, and put it back on to my preferred height. The hi-hat stand I'm using is a PDP, not quite sure the model though, and I would really just like to know how to keep this from occuring again. thanks

www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Hey 32hb, that thing holding the top cymbal is called a hihat clutch. And there are a couple of things it could be. You may have a clutch that is supposed to have two nuts on it instead of one. They kind of tighten against each other, and they stay on pretty good. Those kind, the nuts are kind of skinny. And if there is only one, it will always fall off eventually. Or you could just have a really cheap or worn out clutch. I use a dw clutch that has a small drumkey screw to tighten it. It never falls off. About $8 on Ebay. May find a similar one even cheaper. Hope that helps. How long you been playing?

User Info Menu

i've been messing around with different percussion since i was 13, but i've only taken lessons twice and hadn't really started playing til last year in the summer
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

just buy a locking clutch. they are fairly cheap.