Thread: Do they make 8 inch studio rings?

User Info Menu

Default Do they make 8 inch studio rings?

Just a really quick question since I can't seem to find it online anywhere. I'm thinking of eventually replacing my kit with a Ludwig Lacquer fusion set that comes with a free 8 inch tom. I know they make studio rings for fusion kits, but the smallest I've seen is 10 inches. Of course, I might not even need rings on the new kit considering a Ludwig probably sounds a lot better out of the box than my generic one, but I want to find out before I commit to buying it in the off chance that I want them.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Do they make 8 inch studio rings?

Get Moongel instead, they fit on any size tom. If you want to really deaden the drums like the studio rings do then just put several pieces on there.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

I've used moon gel and there's no comparison to me. But they might sound better on a different (better) kit, so I guess I'll see when/if I ever make the switch.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China

Click here!

User Info Menu

If you put a studio ring on an 8" tom it'll no sustain at all...it would sound like you're hitting a little plastic bucket.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    If you put a studio ring on an 8" tom it'll no sustain at all...it would sound like you're hitting a little plastic bucket.
    +1

Or you could not use the 8' tom, viva la 4 piece revoloution!

haha, mejoke mejoke!

But seriously get a new kit, I am always happy to see people getting new kits! its like a big event! :P

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

User Info Menu

There are a thousand ways to dampen a drum, dont let studio rings stop you from buying a kit.

User Info Menu

My best advice here would be to cut a clear drumhead to the shape/size that will fit on the existing 8" drumhead. The drumhead you cut to fit must NOT be ec2, pinstripe, hydraulic, etc because of added dampening agents. Just use a regular single ply clear head like ambassador, classic clear, g1, etc and cut it into a ring so that it fits over your head. You could also use remo muffl discs underneath, but that can make things a little too dead if you're not used to it.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlexGoodwin View Post
    But seriously get a new kit, I am always happy to see people getting new kits! its like a big event! :P
    I hope to get it soon and you will be the first to know

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    There are a thousand ways to dampen a drum, dont let studio rings stop you from buying a kit.
    Oh no, I wouldn't let it stop me. I was just wondering.
    Cymbals

Click here!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseInMotion View Post
    I've used moon gel and there's no comparison to me. But they might sound better on a different (better) kit, so I guess I'll see when/if I ever make the switch.
    The more Moongel you use, the more it'll deaden the drum. Yeah, if you use one piece it won't come close to to the studio rings, but try putting a few on there and you'll see a big difference.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Actually, this isn't a big deal anymore. I just found out that the fusion kit is the same price as the standard kit. The standard kit comes with a free 10 inch tom instead of an 8 and they make 10" studio rings. So if and when I decide to do this, I'll just get that one.
    Cymbals

Click here!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseInMotion View Post
    I hope to get it soon and you will be the first to know

Oh no, I wouldn't let it stop me. I was just wondering.
    Woop Woop!

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

User Info Menu

They don't make them, personally I think it would choke the drum ,I know it would on mine. just using a double ply head on my 8 inch tom is too much. With that said if you still want one just make your own by cutting up an 8 inch coated head.