Thread: Roto toms?

User Info Menu

Default Roto toms?

I've been thinking for quite a while now.. There are 2 sets of roto toms (as of yesterday) at a local music store with different prices, but I'm not worried about that. I want some opinions on roto toms before I get a set. So who wants to go first?
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Default Re: Roto toms?

Eh... I think they're pretty cool as long as you don't treat them as an integral part of the set, but instead as more of an effect. If you're doing more 80s rock stuff, then they're practically required lol.

User Info Menu

Are you agile enough to be 2 drummers at one time?

Rotos can open up something you never knew you had before.

Be methodical, rhythmical, learn to free-flow...

Even if you don't gig with them they're a good tool to work out with for flexibility smoothness of arms time & mind. Crank up the oldies station and let it ride...
    Play to win my friend, and make sure you see you won in the eyes of others not that of your own, then truly you've won...

User Info Menu

Roto toms add flavor and the distinct difference in pitch and octave separation from rack toms is appealing to me. The only issue I had when I integrated the roto toms into different kit configurations was ideal placement for easy reach. I noticed that if I had the roto toms set up directly in front of a set of off set rack toms with a single bass drum as in the first pic, I played them more because of the easy reach.

With a double bass configuration and with more cymbals added, I placed the roto toms to the left of my HH stand. The reach was not as comfortable but manageable.
    On this configuration, I eventually ditched the 6” roto tom and separated the 8” and 10” off of the standard roto rack rail and mounted each tom individually using a curved piece of Gibraltar rack pipe which allowed for better ergonomics.

I'd consider two factors if I were to buy them:
    #1- Does your music allow for the sounds of roto toms? Rotos can be substitutes for missing Latin percussions.
    #2- Do you have the space to incorporate the roto rack rail including three toms into your kit? My rotos mount to my rack and take up very little floor space. If you don't use a rack, will the extra stand force you to position key items farther away just make room for the added rotos?
    I don't use my roto toms very often but I'm glad I have them just in case I decide to switch my kit around for different genre of music. Keep us posted on your decision and if you pull the trigger, post up some pics please. I'd love to see the new addition to your kit! Thanks!

User Info Menu

Late8 dude you're kit is so beastly!
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    Late8 dude you're kit is so beastly!
    Thanks Yohin!

User Info Menu

In response to late8's kit:

Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseInMotion View Post
    In response to late8's kit:

+1
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Ok, yes. I know late's set is amazing. I also had a feeling he'd provide his voice into this. However, I was a bit surprised to see that you (talking to late) gave not 1 but 2 factors. I have considered both of them. Seeing that #1 is a match, since I do like playing 80's music down [the century] (and Rush more often these days), #2 is more of a question. I don't use a rack, so the question whether or not the stand it is on is sold separately or not still applies. However, if I do get it, I will also be buying the stand, separate or not. The remaining question is when I will be able to withdraw from the bank.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by concrete Building View Post
    Ok, yes. I know late's set is amazing. I also had a feeling he'd provide his voice into this. However, I was a bit surprised to see that you (talking to late) gave not 1 but 2 factors. I have considered both of them. Seeing that #1 is a match, since I do like playing 80's music down [the century] (and Rush more often these days), #2 is more of a question. I don't use a rack, so the question whether or not the stand it is on is sold separately or not still applies. However, if I do get it, I will also be buying the stand, separate or not. The remaining question is when I will be able to withdraw from the bank.
    When you check out the roto tom stand (which should be included in the price, mine was), extend the stand as tall as it can go and look at the height. Make sure the toms can clear the HH rod if you decide to set the roto toms over the HH. This shouldn't be an issue if you off set the roto toms beside the HH. I had clearance issues when I placed the roto toms directly over the HH. I had to eventually cut the HH rod to get the clearance needed so it wouldn"t hit the bottom of the roto rack rail.
    Last edited by late8; 06-16-2010 at 05:46 PM.

User Info Menu

I agree with the things that late8 has brought up. I decided to go with my Roto Toms on my left, and they are on a stand. It works out well for me, and I really don't find them difficult to play in that position, because they are not played extensively. They are accents for me, but I can also roll through them, or play them in short bursts. I like having the different sound available.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Roto toms have always had a "Cheap" feel for me. Even now days, when I am looking on Craigslist for gear, they will always be paired up with bad (Kmart) kits and terrible grammar. ROTO TOMS AND SYMBALS - $250! No offense to any of my Bro's here.

Ha ha. NOW.... Back in the 80's. YES YES YES... We all had to have Rototoms! God bless you Alex Van Halen!
    Gretsch Renown Maple/Fusion - Natural
    8" - Tom
    10" - Tom
    12" - Tom
    14"- Floor Tom
    16"x24" Bass Drum
    TAMA Warlord Titan Snare Drum
    PDP Rack
    16" Zildjian Custom A Crash
    18" Zildjian Custom A Fast Crash
    20" Zildjian Custom A Ride
    12" Zildjian Custom A Rezo Splash
    8" Zildjian Custom A Splash
    20" Riveted Zildjian sizzle w/ 6" SF co-mounted
    14 Zildjian Custom A HatsLP Percussion - Cow Bell/Block/Tambourine
    Rock and Sock Throne!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Roto toms add flavor and the distinct difference in pitch and octave separation from rack toms is appealing to me. The only issue I had when I integrated the roto toms into different kit configurations was ideal placement for easy reach. I noticed that if I had the roto toms set up directly in front of a set of off set rack toms with a single bass drum as in the first pic, I played them more because of the easy reach.

With a double bass configuration and with more cymbals added, I placed the roto toms to the left of my HH stand. The reach was not as comfortable but manageable.
    On this configuration, I eventually ditched the 6” roto tom and separated the 8” and 10” off of the standard roto rack rail and mounted each tom individually using a curved piece of Gibraltar rack pipe which allowed for better ergonomics.

I'd consider two factors if I were to buy them:
    #1- Does your music allow for the sounds of roto toms? Rotos can be substitutes for missing Latin percussions.
    #2- Do you have the space to incorporate the roto rack rail including three toms into your kit? My rotos mount to my rack and take up very little floor space. If you don't use a rack, will the extra stand force you to position key items farther away just make room for the added rotos?
    I don't use my roto toms very often but I'm glad I have them just in case I decide to switch my kit around for different genre of music. Keep us posted on your decision and if you pull the trigger, post up some pics please. I'd love to see the new addition to your kit! Thanks!
    LATE8,Do you still have the mounting bar/adapter?? And if so, would you sell it??

User Info Menu

They're fun. Only problem I have is that space for me is at a premium right now. So, the Roto's are not set up and collecting dust. Someday when I have my dream "Drum Room" I'll break them out again. I did enjoy tinkering with them. You can find them dirt cheap on eBay.

sk
    "A man can NEVER have too many cymbals"

Proudly Playing

Sonor Force 3007 Stage One Piano Black 22X17.5 kick, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 16" toms
    Pork Pie Big Black Snare
    Vater Sticks/Brushes
    Remo Vintage Emperor, Emperor X, and Powerstroke Pro Heads
    Paiste Twenty/2002/Signature Cymbals
    Sonor/DW/Gibraltar Hardware