Thread: Comics

User Info Menu

Default Comics

Anyone read comics, graphic novels, that sort of thing?

I've been devouring a whole heap of really cool stuff lately: all the old Alan Moore stuff (Watchmen, V for Vendetta, etc.), Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, Squee, Sandman, Preacher ... I could go on.

Sometimes I dig the super-stuff too: I really dig Frank Miller's run on Batman. And got a real soft spot for Punisher and the X-Men.

And at the moment reading Cerebus the Aardvark. And I just picked up 'Pride of Baghdad' (story of 4 lions that escape from a Baghdad zoo during the Iraq war) and Arkham Asylum.

User Info Menu

I read graphic novels quite a lot.
    I am a big fan of Tsubasa, Kanpai, Elemental Gelade ; if that sort of thing counts?
    DRUM NAKED!

I Tried To Think Of Something Insightful, But This Is All That Came To Mind...

-PerpetualFrog

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetualFrog
    I read graphic novels quite a lot.
    I am a big fan of Tsubasa, Kanpai, Elemental Gelade ; if that sort of thing counts?
    Haven't heard of it. Is that Manga stuff?

User Info Menu

Yah. I got into to Manga a few years ago, really interesting reads though. Ultimately some of the most creative writing ever printed. Not so say I havent enjoyed the occasional american graphic novel. LOVE The Punisher stuff.
    Last edited by PerpetualFrog; 03-28-2007 at 07:01 PM.
    DRUM NAKED!

-PerpetualFrog

User Info Menu

Hellsing is my favorite manga and comic, sweet dvd's too.

www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I haven't read much manga. Ghost in the Shell, some Akira, Appleseed. Mostly stuff that I know from Anime anyway.

Is there any Manga that is a must-read? Genre-defining stuff?

User Info Menu

Ever seen Akira the movie?
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Well, for a genre defining action title... Elemental Gelade, is a must. Not only is it chalked full of action sequences, never before seen in manga, it also contains compelling drama sequences and in depth character development! It is a must read.
    DRUM NAKED!

-PerpetualFrog

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat
    Ever seen Akira the movie?
    Oh yeah. So many times that I could probably recite it.

That's the absolute pinnacle. The music in it is insane too - all those Taiko drums!!!

Perpetual Frog, thanks for the heads up on Elemental Gelade, character development in particular is something that seems to get a lot of short shrift in 'comic' style stuff, so I'll definitely check it out.

User Info Menu

Sometimes, rarely, I read leauge of extrodanary gentlemen/women comics.
    Percussion is the pulse. With out a pulse, ya dead.
    GIRL DRUMMERS ROCK!!!

User Info Menu

My daughter reads graphic novels, she is obsessed with them...... She also draws manga and, IMO, is very good...... That's all I have to add to this cyber conversation LOL

User Info Menu

I used to be a big comic collector when I was in my early teens. Last time I checked what my collection was worth about 10 years and was about $1100. Maybe I should look into it again

Keith

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kromberg
    I used to be a big comic collector when I was in my early teens. Last time I checked what my collection was worth about 10 years and was about $1100. Maybe I should look into it again

Keith
    I'm wondering what's going to happen to the value of 'collections' now that so many are digitising this stuff.

I've got a stack of comics/graphic novels in electronic format - from the entire run of the X-men to almost everything Garth Ennis has ever done. And they're so cheap to pick up (and easier storage too).

Drumchick: how old is your daughter? It's cool to hear that people are into reading (no matter what they're reading). A lot of Manga stuff seems popular with the younger generation, but I wonder how old most of the other fans are. When I go to comic book stores, everyone looks my age ... or older.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kromberg

Keith

I'm right there with ya! I had all the Image/Dark Horse comics and at the time they were worth quite a bit. I put them away for awhile and last time I checked, I could only trade them for 2 rolls of toilet paper.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

The local library has a good selection of DC and Marvel, so I've gotten back into comics a little. Yeah, I get movies and comic books at the library. Seems wrong to me. But they are there.