Thread: Buying a Used Set

User Info Menu

Default Buying a Used Set

I'm looking to buy a specific used set. The set looks nice and comes with some decent cymbals, and even though it's used, it looks like it's in good condition (can't say the same about the practice mesh heads, though.) The problem is that the guy lives in a public area and I wouldn't be able to test out the kit before purchasing it.

Should I proceed with the deal? Can you make a decision to buy a set based off of looks and not playing it? If so, what physical problems should I be looking for?

Thanks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Buying a Used Set

Buying used sight unseen is tough. You have to look for shells out of round, cracks, hardware issues (hoops, lugs). It really depends on the details of what the set is and the cost. More specifics might help, but I think most people here are going to tell you to it's a big risk.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

I would agree that buying used without being able to check out the kit is a big risk. There are just too many desperate people out there that are willing to take advantage of someone that is too trusting. When you are buying used, you want to be able to check out the kit for any signs of abuse that would indicate it's past.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

can you have him bring the set to your house ? and try it there?
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    can you have him bring the set to your house ? And try it there?
    +1

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Look for any obvious signs of damage, check that all hardware works, all sections lock in the right place etc. Check the snare strainer works smoothly, and the snares themselves are straight and not rusted. See if it looks to be well cared for.

To be honest, the sound is the least important thing with a used set, because with a decent set or heads, if the drums are reasonably round and undamaged, you will be able to get a decent sound out of them. Use this as a bargaining point, "Well, I really like it, but I don't have any more money, and a new set of heads is going to cost me......."

Andy

User Info Menu

I have bought many sets sight unseen other than photos. I know there is a risk but use You own judgement I talk to the seller several times and listen carefully ...are the details always the same ? Most people that are trying to pull the wool over someone forget what they said so the details change. Using a credit card or paypal helps to have recourse if the set is misrepresented. Just be careful ! There are so many great used sets out there !
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Agree that sight unseen is a big risk, particularly if you are not very experienced in buying used kits. If possible, always better to be able to at least examine carefully, if not a situation where you can play it (examination does not make much noise...). Like the idea of helping him bring it to your place, but the reality is that most sellers would not want to deal with that if there are others waiting in line to buy. Good luck!
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

ThePloughman Guest

First off, you dont need to play them. That part of the whole process is silly at best.

What you do need is to examine the drums overall for mods, even minor and especially for hidden mods that have been covered over with some sort of hardware.
    Examine the hardware that its complete, that it matches, especially lugs. That there are no extra holes in the shells, that there are no broken pieces. Examine the bearing edges that they arent dented and chipped and that they feel even under the heads. Because if they dont feel even, they arent, and you should pass. Know what the interior of the drums should look like, know badge placement, and if a person claims to be the original owner, expect to see receipts, unless theyve had the drums 10 years or longer. If you have defaced serial numbers, walk away. Thats a deal breaker. They were stolen by the guy you are talking to, or whomever he got the drums from.

Judge a kit by its appearance, what you can see, feel, directly examine, and dont show up without having done your research to know what kit you are looking at, its value, what it really should cost.
    Lastly........... you dont have to buy THESE drums.

Go with that attitude and you wont get skinned.

User Info Menu

One thing to check is how old is the kit and made by who then it gives you an idea how much to pay for it. Check where the drums are stored is another factor to look at. Cracks, chips and condition of heads and hoops. Reason for selling is something to know and was used alot and for what. I have seen good used kits that where hardly used and in mint condition and also saw some that where abused and thrown around in the back of a van from gig to gig etc. Most people do respect musical instruments while others well you can usually tell by the condition of their homes and appearances. Good luck and hope this turns out to be a good deal.

User Info Menu

My thoughts (for what they are)

1) is the deal a cheap set of drums for a cheap price? (no problem)
    2)is the deal an expensive set of drums for a cheap price? (suspect something or it could be a genuine bargain)

Finally, If a deal is too good to be true, it probably is

Go with you gut feeling

DTJ