Thread: Sm57...not working

User Info Menu

Default Sm57...not working

I have an sm57 that has stopped working and was wondering about taking it apart to look at it. Can I pop the windscreen off to get inside. If so, does it just pop off or how do I go about it. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...Brian

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sm57...not working

Throw it against the wall a few times and then stomp on it. It should work fine after that.

Seriously, you can just unscrew the head of it.

User Info Menu

Ive never heard of an SM57 failing lol.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Ive never heard of an SM57 failing lol.
    me either......touch wood!

all the best...

User Info Menu

yeah i think thats the 1st sm57 ever, that broke... it should come apart in 3 places , the cover should come off , and it should come apart about half way down the mic and the cord end comes out. if i were you , id buy a new one , it'll last you the rest of your life .lol
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

What environment was it kept in? Harsh climates are really bad for the transistor(the sensor that creates the signal) inside the mic, and you want to protect those as much as possible. If it's been damaged you may have to send it to a qualified repair shop for maintenance, otherwise you can replace it. In the future, unless these microphones are in a climate controlled room, put them back in their case when you are not using them, especially if for long periods of time. This will extend the life and ensure it continues to work properly.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Ive had a 57 dunked in a beer. Ldt it dry for a couple of days and it worked fine.

User Info Menu

Our one SM58 has been through hell and back and still works! At some point have to convince the band to invest in a few more for vocals.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Not that this really makes a whole lot of difference, since the post is 2 months old, but did ya try a different cable?
    There is also a wee bit of disinformation that I would like to point out-a transistor is a semiconductor used to amplify and switch electronic signals. A diaphragm is the "sensor" that moves back and forth to begin the creation of a voltage that eventually turns into amplified sound.
    I just don't like bad info, that's all