Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evans Gmad vs Emad kick head

User Info Menu

Default Evans Gmad vs Emad kick head

The Gmad kick head is a little thicker than the Emad. I just switched out on my Gretsch Renown 22", and it is night and day! There is a LOT more thud and subsonic resonance. The drum just sounds fuller, like the drum it was meant to be.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

Default Re: Evans Gmad vs Emad kick head

Thanks for the info. Sounds like you hear a significant difference.

Quote Originally Posted by =^-..-^= View Post
    The Gmad kick head is a little thicker than the Emad. I just switched out on my Gretsch Renown 22", and it is night and day! There is a LOT more thud and subsonic resonance. The drum just sounds fuller, like the drum it was meant to be.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the heads up on that. If you threw the EMAD2 into the mix I wonder how that one would compare?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by =^-..-^= View Post
    The Gmad is a single ply of 12mil thickness
    The Emad is a single ply of 10mil thickness
    The Emad 2 is two plies (one 10mil, one 7mil) 17mil total thickness
    The New Emad Onyx is a single coated ply of 10mil with an improved dampener... which is odd because the Onyx is the thickest head evans makes for toms at 15mil (two-7.5 mil plies)

I'm using an Evans EQ3 which is two plies of 6.5mil each for a total of 13
    Last edited by davewilson; 06-20-2010 at 09:33 PM.
    Drums... That's how I roll!

http://facebook.com/davewilson831

The Gretsch Drums Woodshed

User Info Menu

My understanding is, based on input from Drum City Guitarland in Wheatridge, CO, Evans was getting lots of complaints about both the Emad and Emad2 heads breaking prematurely. They came up with the GMAD with a slightly thicker head to add longevity for harder hitters.

The GMAD definately has more timbre producing qualities. I use it on on my 20" VSX Vision Bass Drum. I have been using the plastic side of my Iron Cobra beater and a moleskin on the head.. I like the combination with some acoustic foam in the drum. Great sound. Nice thump with great punch.

User Info Menu

It is not the EMAD head itself that was breaking and causing complaints, it's the foam rings. The head itself is just as durable as any other Evans head.

With the EMAD batter head there is a large "foam ring holder" on the outer edge of the head which holds the foam sound-dampening ring. Many complained that, after a while, the vibrations from the head caused the "holder" to separate, eliminating the main reason people opt to buy the EMAD. I'm guessing this issue has been addressed because I've had my EMAD for about 8 months and it's still in tact.

The EMAD reso has a bit of a different problem. This head has a porthole where the foam ring sits. After a while, the vibrations cut the foam ring in half. I've had my EMAD reso for close to two months and have started to see the foam ring break down a bit. It moves during play and the logo sticker fell off. But it honestly doesn't feel like it's going to fall apart and the sound hasn't been affected.

Wow. That got lengthy! LOL!
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DLDante View Post
    It is not the EMAD head itself that was breaking and causing complaints, it's the foam rings. The head itself is just as durable as any other Evans head.
    That explains the "Improved Dampener" description Evans added
    Drums... That's how I roll!

http://facebook.com/davewilson831

The Gretsch Drums Woodshed

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DLDante View Post

With the EMAD batter head there is a large "foam ring holder" on the outer edge of the head which holds the foam sound-dampening ring. Many complained that, after a while, the vibrations from the head caused the "holder" to separate, eliminating the main reason people opt to buy the EMAD. I'm guessing this issue has been addressed because I've had my EMAD for about 8 months and it's still in tact.

The EMAD reso has a bit of a different problem. This head has a porthole where the foam ring sits. After a while, the vibrations cut the foam ring in half. I've had my EMAD reso for close to two months and have started to see the foam ring break down a bit. It moves during play and the logo sticker fell off. But it honestly doesn't feel like it's going to fall apart and the sound hasn't been affected.

Wow. That got lengthy! LOL!
    But spot on. Keep an ear open 'cuz my experience with the EMAD reso is that you will start to hear an buzz as the ring separates and then rattles on the head. I have had a GMAD for a year and it is still intact and awesome. Also a couple of SK11s on other drums are they are nice as well.

User Info Menu

Got an SKII on a practice set I bought a few weeks ago, I fell in love with it so much so that I am going to buy it for my Masters Custom bass drum, I'm swapping out an Evans eq3 which doesn't compare at all to the Aquarian SKII. So if you can give aquarian a try before the emads
    The Emergency Exit Band (still working out kinks)

Pearl Masters Custom Maple
    8"x8"
    10"x10"
    13"x10"
    16"16"
    18"x16"

6.5"x14" Pearl Maple Free Floating Snare
    22"x20" Virgin Bass

12" Avedis Splash
    14" Avedis Projection Hihats
    13.25" K Hybrid Hihats
    17" A Custom Crash
    16" Meinl MB10 Medium Crash
    18" Paiste Signature Crystal Thin Crash
    18" Sabian AA Crash Ride
    20" A Custom Medium Ride
    21" Avedis Sweet Ride

User Info Menu

Just bought a new Evans GMAD and WOW does it sound killer!.

I wanted some of the feel of a single ply (EMAD) with some of the durability and low tone of a 2 ply (EMAD2).

So far it has delivered big time.

I was a bit suprised at how much heavier the stock heads were compared to the high end Evans heads but the tone tells the real story.

I coupled it with an Evans EQ pad and presto...killer bass drum tone.
    It has the perfect amount of click and boom.

Yes, those are 2 Remo Falam Slam Patches on a Evans head. :O

Oh, and I got a new set of EC2's also, and those babies sound great.

I figure they are all broken in and now I have to tune everything back up again. : (

All the reso heads and snare heads (Mapex Black Panther) are still stock so I'm not done buyin stuff. : )

Anyone else bangin away on GMAD or EMAD and lovin it?.
    Last edited by Homeularis; 03-28-2011 at 10:05 PM.
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

User Info Menu

Btw Evans introduced the improved dampener in Q1 of 2010. Also the new REMAD or EMAD reso is modeled after the batter head and has a removable foam ring that rings the port. Nicer idea but clashes with my kickport so no go for me. Currently rocking an EQ4 which is clear 10-mil single ply but I have an EMAD I'm waiting to try. Gretsch new classic 16x20

User Info Menu

GMAD is the only head iv had on the bass drum other than the stock head. It was absolutely incredible when i first put it on!
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

I just gotta throw this in.... A SKII batter with an Aquarian Regulator Batter head (with the small port) no pillow or anything needed. the kick sounds killer. I have an Emad that was on my current kit when I bought it and it sounds really good but I have had the Aquarian combo on another kit and it was amazing.
    "Don't let your pride swell....you may have to swallow it one day!"- Unknown

God made Cops so Firefighters could have heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!
    Proud member of PHROGGE's Aquarian Army

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by almostmatt1 View Post
    GMAD is the only head iv had on the bass drum other than the stock head. It was absolutely incredible when i first put it on!
    Right on. Are you still liking it as much as when it was new or are you ready to change up again?.
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

User Info Menu

Bump...I'm gonna cry if I dont get some replies here.

Anyone?.
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by topdog63 View Post
    I just gotta throw this in.... A SKII batter with an Aquarian Regulator Batter head (with the small port) no pillow or anything needed. the kick sounds killer. I have an Emad that was on my current kit when I bought it and it sounds really good but I have had the Aquarian combo on another kit and it was amazing.
    This is the combo I'm rolling with right now. But I do plan on putting the EMAD or GMAD on the batter again.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Homeularis View Post
    Right on. Are you still liking it as much as when it was new or are you ready to change up again?.
    I hope it'l be a while until i have to change again. I had the one chance to go to a shop to get a new bass drum head when mine broke, and they had emads and gmads. The gmad was sliiiiiightly thicker, so i went with that, taking durability into account more than anything else. I also picked up some AF patches.
    But the next head i get will without a doubt be another Gmad. I LOVE IT.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

Larrysperf Guest

I use Emad and have had no problems with them

User Info Menu

EMAD2 all the way here. Love it love it love it.

User Info Menu

Same. I've used all types of emad variations except for the gmad on my kick and so far haven't had problems with them. Even avoided trouble with the foam rings, I always used the big ones. It could be a lack of heavy hitting or intensity, but i've never found myself in need to replace them. The only problem I did have was after a year or so i'd get a crack in the center. If that's the worst these heads get, they're a dream come true.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I stomp on my pedals, and never had an issue with an EMAD ring. I have no idea how other people are breaking those things.

User Info Menu

Supposedly the Emad plastic ring breaking problem has been fixed.

The newer ones should not have a problem anymore...I hope.
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
    EMAD2 all the way here. Love it love it love it.
    same here and never have any problem at all

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

I have used the EMAD and I am currently on the EMAD2, I have found that with the EMAD2 it sounds great when miced up in the studio or live but when its just me sat behind the kit at rehearsal it never feels like it has a big enough punch, maybe I should try the GMAD and see what I can get it to do.
    Mike.

"If men are from Mars, and Women are from venus then drummers... are from Pluto!" - Hughie (as played by the amazing Billy Connolly) taken from the film 'Still Crazy'.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering" - Brandon Lee

http://www.jerzeystreetband.com
    http://www.myspace.com/jerzeystband
    http://www.facebook.com/jerzeystreetband

User Info Menu

Well yeah, one of the issues with the EMAD, actually by design, is that it really focuses the sound. That means that from behind the kit you won't hear as much as you would from in front of it, which is why it sounds good recorded or live but not by yourself.