Thread: Anyone have any complaints/praise for the yamaha DTXPress IV?

User Info Menu

Default Anyone have any complaints/praise for the yamaha DTXPress IV?

I found a yamaha dtxpress iv on craigslist for muy cheapo and im just wondering if anyone could give me some good reviews, ratings out of 10, pros, cons,any upgrades you may have put it on it,what upgrades are available,how durable/versatile it is, etc etc. I've been playing for like 6 years now and have researched e-drums for like a year, and this looks like the deal that'll get me practicing quietly. but a naked google search yields very little on this kit (the standard version that is. they wont shut up about the special edition...) all i know is that there is a 3 trigger snare, 3 trigger hi hat, and 3 trigger cymbals, with single trigger toms and bass, correct? anyway, thanks allot guys. anything you can tell me is appreciated. Keep on Rockin

User Info Menu

Default Re: Anyone have any complaints/praise for the yamaha DTXPress IV?

The reason why you find so much on the special edition is because it wasn't that much more, in terms of money, but gave you significantly better options. With the standard version you'll have a regular pad as your hi-hat, as opposed to the freestanding hi-hat with the special. Also, the special edition had the upgraded snare pad while the standard has a "regular" pad (although it *IS* three-zone just the same).

Anyway, about the DTXpress IV, the module is superb. I personally like it better than the Roland TD9 (it's equal in the Roland product line). The module is so good, in fact, that with Yamaha's next generation release (the DTX500) all they really did was change the color of the module. It's essentially still the same thing. One of the arguments for Roland over Yamaha is that Roland seems to focus more on realistic drum sounds while Yamaha has a lot more exotic kits. That's not to say that Yamaha doesn't have realistic kits or that Roland doesn't have exotic sounds, it's just that Yamaha only samples their own kits so the list of "real" kits in the module isn't as extensive as Roland's. Personally, I like this. I don't need 7 different variations on a maple kit. One works fine for me. I've got an acoustic set that I use for "realistic drums" so, to me, the exotic sounds of the Yamaha are appealing.

Yamaha cymbals are second to none. Even the Roland fanboys admit that Yamaha makes the best e-cymbals. The cymbal sounds in the module are better too, in my opinion.

For pads, Roland and Yamaha rubber pads are essentially the same. The big argument for Roland is that you can upgrade to mesh heads, which many like but I personally don't care for. They feel nothing like acoustic heads, which is what they always boast, and they bounce your stick like a trampoline. Even so, Roland has done an EXCELLENT job of convincing people that nothing is better and that is why they have such a strong presence in the e-kit market. Yamaha's newest DTX pads (silicone heads) are way better than mesh but still don't feel like real drum heads (nothing does, so don't bother chasing that illusion). Keep in mind that the DTXpress IV is not compatible with DTX pads so you'll be locked out of Yamaha's current generation pads unless you upgrade the module to a DTX500.

In my opinion, if it's a good price and in good condition I'd go for it. It's definitely a more than adequate practice set. Also, I kept mentioning Roland because that's really the only competition. The other e-kits from other companies are just trash. If it's not Roland or Yamaha, keep walking.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

I have a the kit in question and I think it's great. I'm not really a drummer and the kit is actually for my son. Video of him playing is in the video section.

I have used it several times to record my songs with and they always turn out great. I do us a real snare if I need a brush sound but hey we don't buy E-kits for brushes.

Your right there are great deals on the IV. In fact I want to buy a used one to add on to my son kit.

User Info Menu

thanks guys. im definitely getting it now. sweet deal only $700 CAD... im a split it with my dad hopefully =)