Thread: I have a problem!

User Info Menu

Default I have a problem!

Hello Everyone, I am new the forum, and I have a new addiction.

In the last 2 weeks I have purchased a yahama MG102c mixer, shure 57, AT2020 condenser, and a pair of cmh8k condenser to record my drums, and I am running that into my computer via a program I already had, Roxio lp to mp3, because it came with a rca to usb adapter/converter. All of this has been on my own with no real guidance, and I know there are things I need to do, but it is a start.

Where do I go from hear. I fear that I am gonna buy the wrong things, and would much rather spend the money wisely.

Thanks you so much, and I am happy to be apart of the community.

I will have a clip of me playing, nothing special in the following post, if someone would explain to me how to do it

User Info Menu

Default Re: I have a problem!

You need a good analog to digital converter to capture the sound and convert to digital signal. There are a ton out there depending on what you want to spend....200 bucks up to 50 to 60 thousand dollars. What is your price point?

User Info Menu

I find it makes more sence to talk needs not money, so with that being said; I am a drummer, so I could potentially need as many mics as possible, BUT, I plan on using 2 overheads, snare , Tom 1 Tom 2 Tom 3 and 2 overheads. Meaning I need to be able to record 8 channels simultaneously, correct. Now with that being said, could I get some info on people opinion of different 8 channel firewire mixers, as from what I understand you cant send more than 2 channels at a time with usb, ( am i correct in this understand).

Thanks for the help.

User Info Menu

I find it makes total sense when one wants direction on the appropriate equipment to purchase. I can spend paragraphs talking about pro tools hd and the core cards with expansion cards you would need but if you don't plan on spending 10-15 thousand dollars it is pointless. If you are wanting to spend about 3000 to 5000 we can discusee the Lynx aurora lines. If you are wanting to spend in the 1000-3000 range then we can discuss RME, pro tools le, pre sonus. if you are wanting to go cheaper in the 300-800 range then we can talk pre sonus and pro tools m-powered. So again let me know your price point and and I am happy to discuss options that will work well with your set up.

Oh and don't forget to browse the recording forum and use the search function. A lot of what you are asking has been discussed before.
    Last edited by nucjd; 06-27-2010 at 01:41 PM.

User Info Menu

Here's a thread started by Alex Goodwin. http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p....html?p=300264
    Look down a few posts and you'll see my "budget" drum video sceme. I have a 8 channel PA head I bought specifically to mic my drums (eventually expanded speaker inventory to accomadate band). I don't have the cash right now to spend on a DAW so I'm using CakeWalk which came free with the Edirol two track audio recorder. The CakeWalk software allows me to trim "ins" and "outs" and add some basic "plug-in" compression (i.e. smoothing, pump and punch, radio loudness, hard rock limiting etc.). The video software is basic Windows Movie Maker. I'll use something more advanced as my savings account builds up for that exact purpose. The camera is again budget stuff, it's my 6.1 mega pixel still camera used in the "video" mode. Again....cost for camera was zero...came with my color printer lol.

Window Movie Maker is very limited with scarce options for video effects. I usually record the video and audio separately. I match frame the audio from my recorder with visual cues from the video (i.e. using my sticks as a "clap" board as seen on many behind the scenes footage of movie making). I add the audio from the recorder and dump it directly over the video. I use the audio "mixing" slider and have the audio 100% to the music recorded from my recorder. The editing and "trimming" function in Windows Movie Maker is pretty accurate. It allow me to at least dub in some decent audio over some pretty low budget video.

Costs:
    PA head (I had to have it anyway) $465 US$
    Roland Edirol digital two track recorder- $365 US$
    CakeWalk DAW- Free limited usage agreement (came with recorder) or $39.00 for permanent ownership)
    Computer software- Free (came bundled with PC)

User Info Menu

Yeah, it looks like just a step above what I am using right now.

I am using a simple mixer, running 3/4 mics on the drums, (depending on day) into a program/converter I bought to transfer lp's to mp3. Has some basic plug in type stuff for effects as well.

I cant wait till I can save up for a firewire interface so I can get everything tuned right in the box instead of having to worry about 1 thing being off while I am recording.

lol

Have a good one and thanks for the help.