Thread: Overhead Microphones

User Info Menu

Default Overhead Microphones

I was originally planning on purely using close mics but a large amount of people seem to strongly agree it's a bad idea.

Do you use overheads?
    What kind?
    How are they set up?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Overhead Microphones

Yes.
    Oktava mk-012 modified by Mike Joly (Freaking Awesome and better sounding than the Neuman km-84 in my opininon). Check these mics out at oktavamodshop.com (btw not associated with them just a very happy customer)
    X-Y position to eliminate phase issues.
    Last edited by nucjd; 06-21-2010 at 08:09 PM.

User Info Menu

For that site are you buying the mod or are you buying the mic and mod?

User Info Menu

I purchased the mics from them which were shipped from russia to them and then modified and shipped to me.

User Info Menu

When you suggested close mic only, did you mean close mics for just the drums? If you do that, you're counting on cymbal bleed and it seems like they wouldn't be as loud as before. Come to think of it I kinda want that result myself.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    When you suggested close mic only, did you mean close mics for just the drums? If you do that, you're counting on cymbal bleed and it seems like they wouldn't be as loud as before. Come to think of it I kinda want that result myself.
    Yea, but a large number of people on several forums have told me overheads are a must.

User Info Menu

Hardrock. What I hope you understand is why they are must. The reason is frequency response. Do you want the sharp detailed sound of the snare with wonderful shimmer of the cymbals? The way you get it is overheads. Some of the best studio engineers in the world will sometimes record with four mic method (two overheads, bass and snare) and it sounds just amazing. The only thing the direct mics do is reinforce the sound from the overheads.

James Lugo Guest

Overheads are a huge part of the sound especially in digital. Computers struggle to capture snare drums so sometimes when mixing overs and room mics come into play in a big way. I have a pair of 87 that I put into a pair of Quad 8's and it sounds pretty amazing. I've really started loving LDC for overs and have been shying away from the KM84/SM81/ATM450 scene but any of them will sound good.