Thread: Double bass drums vs double pedal

User Info Menu

Default Double bass drums vs double pedal

Pretty self explanatory. Which do you prefer and why? Advantages/disadvantages of each one? I've been thinking of experimenting with a double bass drum instead of a pedal if I can find a cheap one on CL. But I figured I'd ask around here to gather some opinions first.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Double bass drums vs double pedal

I've never tried playing a double kick drum setup, but I really like the look of it more if there's over four toms on a set. Otherwise if there's like two or three toms on a set, two kick drums kinda looks out of place.

Though for gigging I would want a single kick drum setup with a double pedal, because it just takes up less space.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Yea, I've only got 2 mounted toms, so it might be kind of overkill as far as that goes. But I've actually got some cool design ideas in mind. I'll see if I can make something up to post.

/edit:
    Well, it didn't come out exactly as I thought it would due to certain restrictions in the program I used and some spacing issues, but here's a general idea as to what I was thinking.

I know I forgot the hi hat pedal and throne, but I couldn't be bothered to go back and re upload it. The splash and AAX would be held by clamps coming off their respective cymbal stands and the ride would be positioned over the right bass drum. I actually kinda like it. Might be something to try if I can find a cheap bass drum to try it with. The only problem I can see is that the mounted toms and the floor tom are really far apart.

/edit 2:
    Design numero dos (this is closer to my original thought):

The toms are centered and there isn't as much travel space between the rack and floor toms. I also added a hi hat pedal and seat for a better positioning idea in this one.
    Last edited by NoiseInMotion; 06-21-2010 at 10:19 PM.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

I personally think that DB drumsets are a waste of $ and space. You can achieve the same effect with a db pedal
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

My .02cents.

If you're doing it for looks then go for it but it's tricky to get both drums to sound like each other, if your doing it for the sound then I'd suggest going for double pedal because it technically sounds the same anyways.

I've had both and prefer double pedal over two bass drums, besides it's cheaper to reskin one bass drum than 2 lol
    The Emergency Exit Band (still working out kinks)

Pearl Masters Custom Maple
    8"x8"
    10"x10"
    13"x10"
    16"16"
    18"x16"

6.5"x14" Pearl Maple Free Floating Snare
    22"x20" Virgin Bass

12" Avedis Splash
    14" Avedis Projection Hihats
    13.25" K Hybrid Hihats
    17" A Custom Crash
    16" Meinl MB10 Medium Crash
    18" Paiste Signature Crystal Thin Crash
    18" Sabian AA Crash Ride
    20" A Custom Medium Ride
    21" Avedis Sweet Ride

User Info Menu

Well, double bass drum sound is actualy more cleaner and your letting the drum breath (if you tune it the same though)

But in my opinion I have tried both and I must say Double bass drum is preferable too me. Im always thinking the double pedal is gonna break or something and I like have my feet having their each individuel drum :D