Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stick Size?

User Info Menu

Whatever size I can get my hands on!
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash
    PDP Double bass Pedal, PDP throne.

User Info Menu

i like the vic firth 5A, oak.

User Info Menu

My favorite right now if the Vic Firth Steve Gadd signature line. Before that I was using Vic Firth 8Ds. For practicing rudiments on a a pad I use 5Bs, or a set of really heavy marching sticks (La Special 2B) for a forearm work out.

User Info Menu

I got a pair of 5A's at the weekend and they are beautiful.
    Vater's if you are wonderin try em and you'll love em!
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

I like the middle sized ones. I use to love thick sticks... Small thin stcks give me cramps (I have big long musician fingers)

But im gonna be looking for the ultimate taper when i get to the drum shop and see what i wanna stick with.... get it. Stick with :P hehehe
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

5a

User Info Menu

5A seems to be the most popular choice? Why is that, i mean, ive had 2 pairs of vic firth 5A and i liked them, but why is 5A so commonly used?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ch33zz
    5A seems to be the most popular choice? Why is that, i mean, ive had 2 pairs of vic firth 5A and i liked them, but why is 5A so commonly used?
    I think it's just considered a bit of an all rounder - not too heavy, not too thick for softer and more serene styles fo music, but still feels solid enough to have a good go at it for heavier styles too. Its very middle range as afr as thickness and weight go.

Also, I think because of it's tickness and weight allot of people are encouraged to use it when they are first starting out (often by drum teachers) and then they just get used to it, and then later on instead of switching to something that doesn't feel comfortable (either because it is too thick, or heavy or thin etc...) they just keep using it.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Yeah thats it. Its middle of the field. I think all i use is 5a.... Or 5b..... I used 7a's before.. (Im trying to remember the sizes and i think thats right)
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

stick size, oh thats really long.......(look at my sig)

User Info Menu

Good thread to read , Im with Metal Drummer on Regal sticks . I like the rock style most times ans sometimes use the Jake Hanna style .

gonefishin

User Info Menu

I mostly use 7a/n. I like thin sticks. >.>

User Info Menu

I use vic firth 5As and Ahead 7As. my 5As make a better sound scince their wood but i can play faster with my 7As.

User Info Menu

my instructor told me to use pro mark 5b

User Info Menu

I've seen a lot of fast metal drummers play with plastic sticks. But I still love my wooden ones :D
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

It's 5A for me Vic Firth or Zildjian, i have tried allsorts but i always come back to the 5A.

User Info Menu

Stick brick from GC... 10 pair, $10. 5A Once they break, they make great kindling for the fireplace!!

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

Stix, when I went to GC, they didn't know what a "stick brick" was, and all they could show me was a bag full of sticks for $10.00 - all 2B's with nylon tips. Was I not explaining what I wanted properly? Or do you think they might have been out of the good stuff?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I use 5A's. Favourites from Vic Firth. But I have to admit, I've never tried any other size. Maybe I'll buy some 7A's to test out for a bit? But I think I'll 'stick' with my 5A's.
    In truth, Rock music is the most pure and honest art form ever born.

Realx... I'm a drummer...
    Girl Drummers are Amazing!!

User Info Menu

Hey PB:
    in re. your question, they're called "stick brick" as that is what it says on the little cardboard wrap on each pair of the ten pair of sticks. On the SKU it says the following: 5A WOOD TIP STICKS SB5A12. The SKU # is 3623800271. The company that makes them is Stick Brick, PO Box 5111, Thousand Oaks, CA 91359. Not sure if they have a website. Bought them at GC, tho!

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stix518 View Post
    Hey PB:
    in re. your question, they're called "stick brick" as that is what it says on the little cardboard wrap on each pair of the ten pair of sticks. On the SKU it says the following: 5A WOOD TIP STICKS SB5A12. The SKU # is 3623800271. The company that makes them is Stick Brick, PO Box 5111, Thousand Oaks, CA 91359. Not sure if they have a website. Bought them at GC, tho!

Stix
    OK, now I HAVE to get them. Thousand Oaks, CA is where I came from. Was a chiropractor in Thousand Oaks for 17 years. Thanks for the details, Stix. I'm on it now!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Vic Firth Dave Weckl signatures if im playing matched grip.
    Vic Firth HD4's for traditional- most shops dont stock these, so I get them off the internet, but they're super thin and have a very small, round tip which is great for jazz and lighter playing.

Dave weckl's for gigs and band practice though, cuz' they're super thick!
    jimbolimbo99 Mapex Mafia

Mapex M Birch
    Sabian AA and Paragons
    Zildjian A's
    Meinl Generation X
    Dream Lion
    Trick Pro-1V

My band

My Kit

User Info Menu

5a, 2b, or DD j/k. Blessings...........

User Info Menu

Usually 5B. Sometimes 2B if LOUD is the order.
    No, I still won't play Wipe Out.

User Info Menu

Cool

Ahead "crosscountry" 7a/5a....built In Shock Absorber Way Before Zildjian's Cant Play Wifout Em