Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Stick Size?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Stick Size?

I've been using the VF American Classic Rocks for some time but have decided 16 5/8 is too long. The dia is about right at .630. 16" is a little too short for my taste and a dia under .630 is just too thin.

So enter Vater 2B. 16 1/4 x .635 dia. Hickory for the strength but with some give. I like oval or barrel wood tips and these look to have one or the other.

For kicks I'm also going to look at the Vater Shedder's 16 1/4 x .650 and the Regal Tip 2B only 16" but with a whopping .655 dia!
    Last edited by slinky; 06-28-2011 at 11:31 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Pro-Mark 747's.

User Info Menu

I've been on a pro mark signature sticks kick lately. I tend to lean toward 5a. These stick are awesome, Billy ward "the bulb", Simmon Phillips, and Steven Perkins oak (they are smaller than a 5 a, but the oak keeps them a about the same weight. Look these up ( at least the billy ward sticks, so you can see the bulb).
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

I'm using Pro-marks Michael Carvin sticks atm. Japanese oak, ball tip, between 7a and 747, long, it's perfect for me
    Dw | Zildjian | Pro-Mark | Evans

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ciz View Post
    I'm using Pro-marks Michael Carvin sticks atm. Japanese oak, ball tip, between 7a and 747, long, it's perfect for me
    I'll have to check those out.
    1997 DW collectors kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Deedubs! View Post
    I'll have to check those out.
    I've had them for a week, short taper, great rebound as well, my favorite sticks I've used so far. I usually prefer nylon to wood tip, but these just sound better I think I'm going to custom order me half a dozen of the CDX sticks similar to these.
    Dw | Zildjian | Pro-Mark | Evans

User Info Menu

I've been doing some practice pad work using Vic Firth MS4 Magnum sticks lately. All of a sudden my Vic Firth 5As seem light.

User Info Menu

just started using Zildjian Adrian Young sticks . its the nicest stick ive ever used. the length and thickness is perfect for me , i like long sticks and these feel just right. the sticks have a very smooth and shiny handle , at first i thought they would slip out of my hand , but after using them at a gig , they stuck to my hands like glue . the only problem with them is, the top half of the stick is painted white with a black nylon tip , and the white paint marks up my cymbals . i wish i could get the sticks without the white , but i cant . im thinking about sanding the white paint off the top 1/3 of the stick . but if the sanding doesnt work , i'll just deal with the paint on my cymbals , cause the perfect stick is more important to me than a little paint on my cymbals.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

VF AJ2's

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    VF AJ2's
    What are they like?
    1997 DW collectors kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite