Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stick Size?

User Info Menu

Default Stick Size?

just wondering what stick sizes u all use?

I have pairs of 5A, 7A, and even thinner jazz sticks..i personally like the thinnest drumstick i can find (i.e. jazz thin..and 7A) but i have noticed that when i play with 5A's..i seem to play a bit smoother..maybe because i dont try to go as super fast..any thoughts??

User Info Menu

Good thing this is a drumming site....... This question would not be appropriate LOL

I am just too funny!!!! LMAO!

User Info Menu

5a

User Info Menu

I switch between 5b and 2b's depending on what type of mood I'm in
    PLEASE PLAY RESPONSIBLY.... DON'T DRINK AND DRUM!!

My Kit: Vintage Ludwig Classic Maple 26 kick 14, 16, 18 toms, Paiste 2002 Cymbals, Paiste Giant Beat 15" Hats

User Info Menu

5b, I tried 5a's...but I like 5b's better
    The egg approves!

User Info Menu

I use Vater New Orleans Jazz sticks, they're slightly thicker than 7a's but also quite a bit shorter. They also have a more gradual taper down the shoulder.
    DRUM NAKED!

I Tried To Think Of Something Insightful, But This Is All That Came To Mind...

-PerpetualFrog

User Info Menu

Pro Mark hickory 5A.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

Vic Firth 5b's very nice sticks so far.

User Info Menu

I switched to Vic Firth Dave Weikle signatures, but I can't remember what size they actually are.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Cool Stick Size?

5A all the way!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

wow..i use vicfirth jazz AJ5...the thinnest drumstick of any company... .490 diameter..cool

User Info Menu

Regal Tip Quantum 3000. They're the same size and length as a 5B but hardly any taper to the neck (shoulder). They have a LARGE round ball for a tip. Been using them for 20 years now.
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

7A. I have a 5a and 5b also but i find 7A much more comfortable.

User Info Menu

Pro-mark or Vic Firth 7ANs. I also have a pair of 5A Aheads, but I don't tend to use them that much.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Firth 7A-nylon and wood, usually. Firth 8d nylon and wood occasionally. Also have the Peter Erskine stick, the second weckl stick, a set of Rick Latham sticks, Gadd sticks, Pro-mark stick/mallet, and rutes. Use the 7As 80% of the time. Except when I play pads, then I use Ahead sticks with tennis racket tape from Kmart.

grasslander Guest

I'm a heavy hitter, and I like something big; not just because they last longer, I like the larger sound that I get from larger sticks - this is something I don't think a lot of people think about. I've used sticks like Vic Firth Corpmasters(3S marching), playing with the butt, American Classic Rock Crushers(2S acorn tip, if I remember right), also playing with the butt. Right now I have a couple pairs of Pro Mark Rock Knockers(.5" thick, double butted), but I need more length and thickness, I always feel like my hands don't have enough room on 16" sticks. Hence, I'm gonna make my own, out of ash or chokecherry I've cut myself(maybe elm). I already cut and season wood for arrow shafts amongst other things, and I've wanted to make myself a pair of "slammers" for a long time I like to be able to "feel" the sticks, too little weight makes me uncomfortable, so these will probably be 17" long and 5/8" thick for sure. I know this sounds nuts, but we all like what we like, right?

User Info Menu

Vic Firth Danny Carey signature sticks(vary unique sticks) I love these, Ahead 5A sticks and Vic Firth 5AX sticks.

User Info Menu

I use Vic Firth 5A, but then, what do I know? I'm still figuring this out myself. Might be using something completely different a month from now! I'll have it all figured out by the time I'm ready to go pro . . . in my 80's! (World's oldest pro. That's got a ring to it!)
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

5A seems to be the most common size for most drummers?.

I use VF 5A's - and sometimes 5B's - nylon tips.

Try playing with some 5B's for an hour, then get the 5A's out- they feel so light !

I also use the ( brand unknown ) Black Carbon sticks- they are heavy and about the size of 5B's BUT - man - they are SO FRICKIN durable !!!

Wotto
    ' Up the Irons '

User Info Menu

I just bought some Vater 5A's. I had some Vic Firth 7A's before, but man! These 5A's are great!
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Vic Firth 2b, I like my sticks, big heavy and mean

Sometimes if im in dire need of sticks, and i cant get to guitarcenter, and i have to go to my local music store (14 bucks for a pair of sticks? they sell things at msrp value) ill pick up a pair of ludwig 5b's

User Info Menu

I used to use 7As, but then i switched to 5As cos they are much easier to hold and I get a more even tone using them! Vic Firth all the way!
    I Shall Never be caught, you will never obtain my Weapons of Mass Percussion, MWA HA HA HA HA!!

User Info Menu

Zildjian dipped 5bs for me. I was using Vic Firth 5A at first but wanted to try something else, now I can't go back.
    I sleep with my sticks.

User Info Menu

ludwig 7A's are pretty sweet..i like zildjian 5A's as well

User Info Menu

Zildjian black dipped 7A's for me with wooden tip. I prefer nylon tip, but I couldn't get those sticks with a nylon tip so i settled. I have used differnet branded 5A, 5B, and all sorts of multirods and brushes. I just prefer the feel and rebound I get out fo the 7A's, and the dipped handle is just extra comfortable. And I don't care what anyone says, they work just fine for all sorts of music - don't need to get a heavier stick for heavier music, just hit harder i say.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?