Thread: lessons

User Info Menu

Default lessons

Can anyone lead me to a resource to get lessons from a conguero in the SE US (I live in SC)? I want to learn the different afro cuban rhythms and maybe one day be in a salsa band. I have several books, but want a human teacher to give insight and correct my techniques, etc.?

Even if the lessons were a few times per year, am looking for anything...

Suggestions?

User Info Menu

Default Re: lessons

Hey SV,
    I'm from the west coast so I can't help you in that department but would some videos help until you do find a teacher? Michael Spiro is from my neck of the woods and he has many great video lessons. Here is a couple of my favorites, check him out.
    L4C

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B83WXjcjw4w"]YouTube- Bembe Overview[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zS0h9MWp_E"]YouTube- Cell #1-Overview-Close Up[/ame]

User Info Menu

Craigslist is a good place to start, check in the lessons and musicians sections, post your own ad if you don't find anything. I have had pretty good luck with finding teachers on CL, though I live in a very musical town, so that could have been a factor.

I know there are several study abroad programs in Cuba, Puerto Rico, and DR. Google this guy Chuck Silverman, he puts together trips 2 or 3 times a year, seemed resonably priced when I looked into it, and what a great experience it would be. There's a guy named Johnny Conga who I believe lives in Seattle, who was at one time offering a week long intensive 1 on 1 where you go stay with him. All day conga sessions and an introduction into the world of the working conga player. He was a regular poster on conga place, though I haven't been around there in a good while.

User Info Menu

Talk to the band director at a local high school to see if he knows anyone, if not then visit the music department of a local college, any college that offers degrees in music will probably know local percussionists and can refer you to someone who teaches at your level.

User Info Menu

Great idea! I plan to visit my wife's uncle in Miami in October and maybe UMiami or something similar will have an opportunity for me. I want a teacher who specializes or performs with the bongo and conga, (clave, cowbells, etc) and not just dabbles in it. A hour lesson can be worth years of self learning!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sean valdepenas View Post
    Great idea! I plan to visit my wife's uncle in Miami in October and maybe UMiami or something similar will have an opportunity for me. I want a teacher who specializes or performs with the bongo and conga, (clave, cowbells, etc) and not just dabbles in it. A hour lesson can be worth years of self learning!
    Miami may be the best place to find a specialized latin percussion teacher, I think you're on the right track checking with the university. Good luck!